Flev's Replacement - Raging Barbarians

let me think about it - there must be a better way.

See my edit. Design patterns are worth knowing about.

See my edit. Design patterns are worth knowing about.
arrrrrr - this is why my programing will only ever be a part time hobby for me ... I think I know about this stuff and then someone shows me that I have really no idea.

Hey - just thought of a nice quick and dirty method ... I can set an option that defaults to the 'update values' method but if the user checks the option then it writes the changes to memory as they occur. I already capture the 'OnChange' to enable the 'update values' button. Yeah yeah - it isn't pretty but it will work :D.

I forgot about that....I recall seeing a ~SaveXMLdata button in the bottom right corner that I kept poking at random intervals.

Apologies to Mitiu Ioan:
I just sent out a corrected email address list.

Now...... I wonder where the game is?

Sorry lol.

-5 UTC (I knew there was a reason to keep playing EVE Online) lol

Ohio in the USA

Thanks.

It doesn't look too bad.

Play order:
- Ruff.Hi: Zara Yaqob (Ethiopia) (GMT-5)
- Macedon: Augustus (Rome) (GMT+2)
- Morgoth602: Louis (France) (GMT-5)
- Norvin_Green: Mansa (Mali) (GMT-5)
- ParadigmShifter: Pericles (Greece) (GMT)
- bathsheba666 (Ozymandiaston): Willem (Dutch) (GMT)
- SV110MHH: Elizabeth (England) (GMT-5)
- Mitiu Ioan: Ramasses (Egypt) (GMT+2)
- Deztro: Huayna (Inca) (GMT+1)

From observation, or allegation, I believe the following play more than once per day:

How about any of the others ?:

Obvious pinch points would be
- RuffHi (GMT-5) > Macedon (GMT+2)
.................. but that would be ok if Ruff Hi plays in the morning.
- SV110MHH (GMT-5) > Mitiu Ioan (GMT+2)
................... so that looks like an overnight, in the absence of further information.

I'll download tonight. I usually can play a turn within 24 hours. I've only tried 2 PBEM (this and another that folded) so I can't speak much for my reliability. :crazyeye:

I do have a general question as to game play - do people try to rush and kill a neighbor (similar to a multiplayer/ladder game) or play as if they are competing against and AI?

Thanks

I'll download tonight. I usually can play a turn within 24 hours. I've only tried 2 PBEM (this and another that folded) so I can't speak much for my reliability. :crazyeye:

I do have a general question as to game play - do people try to rush and kill a neighbor (similar to a multiplayer/ladder game) or play as if they are competing against and AI?

Thanks

I only have a general answer to your general question - it depends.

I have never played a raging barbs game before, so I personally would tend to worry about the barbs first.

However, I'm probably not good for advice. I tend to play with the same group of friends, and we appear to have a habit of building first, and perhaps ending with a war when no more ai or territory left free.

I think it is a generally known point that if you go for an early conquest, you need to be very sure that you have not overstretched yourself with building units so fall behind in either tech or defenders.
And you have to be lucky to take cities with warriors.
OTOH, extra cities have an exponential effect as the game progresses, as long as you can handle the extra costs.

So, clear as mud.

If there were tech trading allowed, you could catch up on knowledge by extorting them with your troops, but less scope here with brokering blocked.

Obvious pinch points would be
- RuffHi (GMT-5) > Macedon (GMT+2)
.................. but that would be ok if Ruff Hi plays in the morning.
- SV110MHH (GMT-5) > Mitiu Ioan (GMT+2)
................... so that looks like an overnight, in the absence of further information.

I can play my game save at 1100 GMT if I have it... (that is 6 AM local time for me)

if not... I won't be able to play until at least 2000 GMT (3PM local time)

Come March I will be in track season (coach)... so if I don't have it at 1100 GMT won't be able to play until sometimes 2300 GMT or 0000 GMT.

Hope that was as confusing to you as it was to me :goodjob:

Forwarded my save to bathsheba... it's still password protected.

Forwarded my save to bathsheba... it's still password protected.

And returned......

That is the last adjustment needing to be made to the game for the current restart, so we should now be good to continue normally.

Please play your turns as you receive them, and send the saves on to the next person.
(You should all have a 'final - Corrected' email containing email addresses.)

Please also use RuffHi's emailer to send on both the save, and also a gps email copying me.

Good luck everyone.

To avoid the fate of the previous attempt, I shall be monitoring people disappearing without notice, and replacing or retiring them, depending on the general pace.

I am serious about completing this game.

Let's have fun with the barbs.

Hmm, do I have to use the email utility?

I'd prefer just to manually email it to the next in line like I always do.

"I aint gettin' on no plane" - B. A. Barracas

Hmm, do I have to use the email utility?

I'd prefer just to manually email it to the next in line like I always do.

"I aint gettin' on no plane" - B. A. Barracas

Well, I guess since I'm the next person in line, the optional gps copy to me does not add a lot of value,
as I do not seem to have a problem with emails classified as spam.

Then again, I think there are fewer clicks involved in using the utility, but that's your call.

----

I've now started using the utility for all my games, because it saves me quite a lot of time in sending,
and the defaulted titles leave an easy audit trail without (now unnecessary) typing.
I think it's wonderful.

However, I'm not trying to start a religion here.

I'm stuck in my ways ;) I fear change! I pity the fool who doesn't fear change!

At least you know I will be reliable anyway... otherwise you can nag me in one of my other games. Unless my PC blows up again, in which case I'll post words to that effect from another PC while I get it fixed.

Off to bathsheba.

Didn't check my research path either before clicking end turn ;) Not impressed with the current tech path.

I still haven't seen the 3625bc save.
Spoiler :
:D :lol:

The year changes at the end of the last player's turn (which is me, I think).

The year changes at the end of the last player's turn (which is me, I think).
yeah - I was joking about how its been 18 whole minutes (his post time to mine) since bathsheba played and I haven't seen the save (4 players down the chain).

Don't worry - I'll just shut up and go back to waiting for my turn.

Play order ;):

Top Bottom