Food city

If you simply keep your settlements from reaching this quantity of food, you won't have unwanted population increases from that source.
To reduce micromanagement, I would suggest to use the "avoid growth" button in the top left corner of the city screen ;)

Actually they didn't want the game to become a chore (building roads, cleaning pollution...), growth can be achieved just by buying European workers of choice, once your economy is soaring.

It's pretty pointless to build a second tobacco factory for instance, when one is already working to full capacity, especially since turns tend to take longer. It's just more of the same, once your colonies are productive you can cut the umbilical cord to the old continent.

The game -as it is now- is well paced, and making colonies a breeding ground is a bit creatively lacking, so the schools/education system got a nerf. What's the point of building citizens, sending them to school, sending them to work, when you can just select them from a drop down menu in Europe. Cobble a working industry together out of random arrivals is fun, but breed/educate/employ becomes dull fast.

I don't think sending them to school and then assigning them to a job is all that much of a chore. Also, the cross production needed for a new settler increases every time you buy an expert, not just when an emigrant has appeared on the docks, so breeding settlers is the best way to get new people after a while. And you'll need people - lots of them - for your revolutionary army.

The "specialty city" works great in early game, but as your colony grows it becomes a micro-management nightmare! No way to avoid that, but keep a notebook handy because keeping up with who needs what from where can get confusing. And, I don't worry about fancy names. "Tobacco farm" is a great city name. As is, "Cigar factory." Someone suggested even naming wagon trains, but I haven't gone that far yet.

I don't like your use of the word "breeding" to refer to humans reproducing but I'm not sure exactly what to take exception to since it's a computer game where the player directs the activity that causes population growth.

ROFL! "I'm offended, but I don't know why." :lol:

As you probably know, there's a "magic number" of food that causes a population increase. In normal length games it's 200 and in epic length it's 300. If you simply keep your settlements from reaching this quantity of food, you won't have unwanted population increases from that source.

You can sell the food to Europe, or simply put all of your cities in food deficit (or very low food increase: if there are 50 turns left in the game and it'll take 51 turns for a population increase, you shouldn't have a problem)

You'd want to suspend cross production, as well. On the missions front, there's nothing you can really do to prevent new converts, unless you raze those settlements or something drastic.

Rouldn't It be fun if you dump them on european dock? Reverse-immigration! :D
Does people on european side still count against rebel sentient?

The "specialty city" works great in early game, but as your colony grows it becomes a micro-management nightmare! No way to avoid that, but keep a notebook handy because keeping up with who needs what from where can get confusing. And, I don't worry about fancy names. "Tobacco farm" is a great city name. As is, "Cigar factory." Someone suggested even naming wagon trains, but I haven't gone that far yet.

I get so screwed up with trade routes that every so often I cancel all of my wagons and ships and reroute them. It is difficult to keep up with, and things change.

Top Bottom