Forums Order

ales_

Heir
Who (and what) determines the subforums' order in a forum?
1) In the "Civ4 - Project & Mod Development" forum two subforums, "Rise of Mankind: A New Dawn" and "Civ4 - Ancient Europe", are, in my opinion, too high because they are higher than Civ4 - Rhye's and Fall of Civilization which is the 2nd most popular Civ4 mod.
2) In the same forum the subforum "[MAC+WIN] Civ4 - History Rewritten" is the last but it isn't the least popular.
Of course, the order doesn't matter really much but it must have some logic.

Minsk nightlife must be pretty boring

Who (and what) determines the subforums' order in a forum?
1) In the "Civ4 - Project & Mod Development" forum two subforums, "Rise of Mankind: A New Dawn" and "Civ4 - Ancient Europe", are, in my opinion, too high because they are higher than Civ4 - Rhye's and Fall of Civilization which is the 2nd most popular Civ4 mod.
2) In the same forum the subforum "[MAC+WIN] Civ4 - History Rewritten" is the last but it isn't the least popular.
Of course, the order doesn't matter really much but it must have some logic.

I'm pretty sure they just add them in whatever order gets their job done the fastest. If they hold a staff discussion on the matter it would probably take a few years before they decide that no one feels like it is important enough to change (which in this case it probably isn't).

I'm pretty sure they just add them in whatever order gets their job done the fastest. If they hold a staff discussion on the matter it would probably take a few years before they decide that no one feels like it is important enough to change (which in this case it probably isn't).
Yeah, this is deserving of at least a 3-page (40 posts/page), 2-week marathon of epic proportions.

Considering the issue of email notifications hasn't been adequately addressed for SIX AND A HALF MONTHS, this "forum order" problem is clearly much more important. :rolleyes:

Honestly, is that part of the forum so complicated that the subforum is hard to find?

From what I remember:
The order in that area is just the order in which they were created.
There are some exceptions to that, but I cannot really remember anymore what the reason for these were. Grouping or so, I think, but really not sure.

Besides all that, in my experience the bottom slot in a list of forum isn't where you put the stuff no one cares about - that's what the middle is for

It's easy enough to change the order around, but you'd need a really compelling reason for anyone to bother.

Yes, it is, and yes, you would.

Just saying that in my experience if I want to make a forum visible, then I'd put it near the top first, then near the bottom (where people scrolling down to see the main discussion, or just scrolling to bottom of the page, are more likely to see it), and avoid the middle like the plague.

But in this case I agree it's not worth the effort,

Just an accident, I guess.
I remember that once the admins created some new forums in there, and they ended up being in the middle of the list. Asked them to move them to the end of that, for the consistency (I think these are the two current last ones).
No idea why the appeared in the middle. Maybe due to the naming, or so.
Whatever the case is: There's no intention behind, I think.

Unless vBulletin is different from all other forums, the name has nothing to do with it. It's a simple numbering system where you decide which goes first, second, third, etc. It's easy to switch around as long as you make sure not to duplicate any.

I remember that once the admins created some new forums in there, and they ended up being in the middle of the list. Asked them to move them to the end of that, for the consistency.
Should I ask an admin or is posting it here enough?

Just an accident, I guess.
I remember that once the admins created some new forums in there, and they ended up being in the middle of the list. Asked them to move them to the end of that, for the consistency (I think these are the two current last ones).
No idea why the appeared in the middle. Maybe due to the naming, or so.
Whatever the case is: There's no intention behind, I think.

Unless vBulletin is different from all other forums, the name has nothing to do with it. It's a simple numbering system where you decide which goes first, second, third, etc. It's easy to switch around as long as you make sure not to duplicate any.

My guess would be that some forums had their weights set at a negative value, and some had it set at a positive value, so a new forum with the default weight of 0 would fall in between.

It's easy enough to change the order around, but you'd need a really compelling reason for anyone to bother.

Give me admin and I'll fix it in a jiffy*! As well as clean up Other Games.

*I have no idea how to fix it, but I have the time! And I wouldn't even ban anyone, although I cannot guarantee that Cami's avatar won't get changed mysteriously to something a bit happier.

*I have no idea how to fix it, but I have the time! And I wouldn't even ban anyone, although I cannot guarantee that Cami's avatar won't get changed mysteriously to something a bit happier.

I wouldn't wish a modship on my worst enemy.

The forums do have a numbering system for sorting, but the rhyme or reason they were originally sorted that way, I don't know. Most likely, it defaulted to which one was created first.

My guess would be that some forums had their weights set at a negative value, and some had it set at a positive value, so a new forum with the default weight of 0 would fall in between.
What's so hard about starting at 1 and going up? :huh: Really, it's nowhere near as complicated as you're making it out to be.

Asking this admin would not help, but I have not yet learned that part of VBB.
There's an online manual, plus a vBulletin support forum where you should be able to find the answer, since this is probably something lots of other admins have already asked over the years. There should be handy links in the Admin Control Panel (or whatever they call it now).

It's almost scarier now :lol:

Top Bottom