Frequently Asked Questions (at last)

tu_79

Deity
First and foremost, make sure you have installed everything correctly.

Spoiler Installation :
1. Requirements
- Updated Civilization V + all leaders DLC. (There's a Complete pack in Steam)
- Windows 7 and above. Emulators should work.
- English language.
- Don't subscribe to any related mods: Community Patch or EUI. If you already have installed EUI, uninstall it.

2. Install
- Download installer here. Last beta might be found in the main thread.
- Install favourite option. Community Patch just keeps vanilla mechanics, but improved AI and bug fixes. Full Vox Populi is for the new experience. EUI is an improved user interface. 43 civs dll allows for more major civs in a game (but fewer city states).
- If you experience glitches, try downloading the installer again. Try clearing cache folder.

3. Set new game

- Go to MODS menu. Select all Vox Populi related mods:
(1) Community Patch
(2) Community Balance Overhaul
(6a) or (6b)
- Click NEXT. Click SINGLE PLAYER. Click SET GAME (Yes, it's weird).
- Check advanced options (events, transparent diplomacy, tech trading, barbs, ...)

Q: I can't see any resources in a new game.
A: Install properly.

Q: Can't open menus.

Q: Hovering over cities does not show info.

A: Before further questions, make sure you've installed the mod properly. Got it?

Q: The game looks like vanilla, I don't see any difference.
A: Launch a new game through the MODS menu.

Q: The text is weird, it says one thing but does another.
A: Be sure language is English.

Spoiler How can I play multiplayer? :

Install the same modpack on all computers. Launch a new game through the Multiplayer menu.
Look here to learn about making modpacks.

Spoiler I'm too lazy. Is there any available modpack? :

Here you can find some updated modpacks. There are several versions without added mods, with improved interface mods and with expanded content.
Thanks to @Moi Magnus.

Spoiler The game is too easy/difficult. What difficulty should I play? :

VP difficulty is progressive. It's easier in the early game compared to vanilla, but very hard in the late game. Overall the game is two levels harder.

Spoiler The civ X is overpowered. :

All civs look overpowered compared to vanilla. For balance concerns see here.

Spoiler What settings is the game balanced for? :

Everything standard, most AI tests are conducted on King difficulty. Though big efforts have been made to make balance possible in other settings. Large and Huge maps require more civs than the default in the game to keep balance.

Spoiler Any recommended map? :

Vanilla maps are ok.

Communitas map script is provided with Vox Populi, it has a nice tactical terrain but resources are plenty (bad for farms).
We made a fork for Communitas, check this out: Communitu_79a.

Other map scripts can be found in the forum here.

Planet Simulator is good at generating a believable planet.
http://forums.civfanatics.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=407307&d=1461956938
by LamilLerrand
https://github.com/supermerill/CIV5_Planet_Simulator
customized by Merill (fish spawns)

Tectonic is good too, but is way bigger, so it needs two more civs per size.
https://forums.civfanatics.com/resources/tectonic-map-script.21639/

Spoiler Any recommended mods? :

For modmod compatibility, see here.

Advanced setup.

Very nice UI mods:
Promotion flags, City management, Trade routes filters, Religion map, Promotion Flags for VP

Recommended Events mods:
https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/community-patch-events-development.569321/
(JFD had extra events, but now are part of a bigger mod, Rise to Power. Anyone knows if they still work?)

Extra civ uniques:
https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/3rd-and-4th-unique-components-for-vp-official-thread.631657/

Spoiler I am very unhappy :

Check this guide.

Spoiler Events are annoying, I'm tired of rebuilding farms. :

In order to enjoy the events system, extra events modmods are adviced. Look here.

Spoiler I'm being attacked by all AI civs, what am I doing wrong? :

AI is opportunistic and will attack the player when weak. Increase your military might building or upgrading to more advanced units.

Spoiler I want to end a war, but AI refuses to talk. :

Brokered wars have to be maintained during 10 turns. AI is not able to make deals with the player during brokered wars.

Spoiler I can't make peace with AI, it says 'Impossible'. :

AI will not make peace just after a city has been taken. Waiting a few turns while increasing war score might do. Other civs are just stubborn and will die before letting the player take one single city.

Spoiler I can't produce missionaries. :

Playing India?

Spoiler Where does my first Great Prophet spawn? :

Every turn, each city is adding its faith points to the faith global pool. Once the faith points needed for the Great Prophet is achieved, this person is generated in the city that contributed the last. This makes cities with high faith generation more likely to produce a Great Prophet.

Spoiler Help! All my cities are unhappy :

In Vox Populi, citizens are always unhappy. Just see this as the cost of managing the city, not the real unhappiness. What really matters is your global happiness.

Spoiler I can't keep my civ happy. :

Check this guide.

Spoiler I'm a Civ V BNW player. This is my first VP game. Any advice? :

Forget about rushing science and growth. Culture and production are much stronger. Also, this game has a big learning curve, so take it easy.

Spoiler I've influenced every other civ and yet no cultural victory. :

You have yet to build the Human World Project*. You have to obtain two level 3 ideological tenets first.

Spoiler Think I've found a bug. :

If you want to help, check here.

Spoiler Why some workers are so slow? :
Capturing a worker gives a Slave penalty during 50 turns, making this unit work at half speed.

Spoiler I don't have any resources generated on the map (or very few) :

Unsubscribe to any mod named "More Luxuries" on Steam, then reinstall VP. In general, make sure you don't have in your MODS folder two mods that have approximately the same name.

Spoiler I don't understand something / An info seems outdated. :

Look first in the Civilopedia. If it is not solved, please ask the question in the forum. And also note where you think the information should have been for you to find it. Missing informations and outdated informations count as bugs, so please report them.

Spoiler I dislike the interface :

Q: There is something about the interface I don't like (the unit list, the city list, the time for the tooltip to appear when hovering above them, ...)
A: If you are playing with the EUI version, you can modify all of those in the Option menu.

Spoiler I experience CTD (crash to desktop) :

If the crash is not random (i.e you can reproduce it from a save), then it is a bug, please report it. If the crash is random and tend to happens in late game, then it is a Civ5 memory issue. Try removing any memory heavy mod you are using on top of VP (like RED), playing on smaller maps, or praying for Firaxis to release a 64bit version of the Civ5.

Last edited:
Spoiler I can't make peace with AI, it says 'Impossible'. :

AI will not make peace just after a city has been taken. Waiting a few turns while increasing war score might do. Other civs are just stubborn and will die before letting the player take one single city.

I think this changed somewhat recently? I've been able to capture then make peace quite often for the past couple of months.

I think this changed somewhat recently? I've been able to capture then make peace quite often for the past couple of months.
No, actually, I think is was changed toward removing the constraint "no peace after city capture" few months ago.

No, actually, I think is was changed toward removing the constraint "no peace after city capture" few months ago.
Why was that removed? Right now it's exploitable that I can just capture a city and immediately peace out to remove enemy units and heal the city, so there is no risk in capturing cities. Also, I get tourism bonus from winning wars, no matter the war score (I got it with 8 war score, where the minimum should be 25)

Why was that removed? Right now it's exploitable that I can just capture a city and immediately peace out to remove enemy units and heal the city, so there is no risk in capturing cities. Also, I get tourism bonus from winning wars, no matter the war score (I got it with 8 war score, where the minimum should be 25)
Don't know. I just remembered that last time I've stated it, it was corrected as false and confirmed by Gazebo.

To be clear, I presently constantly peace out immediately after capturing a city. The constant in these games is that the AI has been willing to make peace before that city capture.

The "Some workers work slow, some workers work fast (due to Prisoners of War promotion resulting from capture)" question really ought to be here.

Here's a question I think was asked frequently:

How do I play the mod without having to wait through the "mods" loading screen, e.g., just play the mod straight from the main menu?

That answer isn't helpful.
it is honestly, by doing so you make the game think it's just another DLC which means that you can play with VP directly from the start screen. This also allows you to go ahead and play modden multiplayer games.

it is honestly, by doing so you make the game think it's just another DLC which means that you can play with VP directly from the start screen. This also allows you to go ahead and play modden multiplayer games.
Thanks. I'm pretty sure that Gidoza knew about it, he just want this question to be one of the FAQ. However, I don't think it is asked so often, and I'd rather not have the thread clustered. There are tons of things that most players don't know about the game that are really useful, like city blockades, but these are not asked about.

Anyways, any forum user is free to add anything here in the replies, the whole thing being that modpacks are a great way for speeding up the loading time. It's more helpful if any addition is offered on a question / answer format.
Q: VP is nice but it takes too much time for loading.
A: Use a modpack, this way the mod is loaded directly at the start, saving a few minutes every time.

By the way, I don't use modpacks as I'm very lazy for making them myself and the hottest and latest comes with the installer.

@tu_79 Some suggested additional questions. Those are the one I personnally frequently answer.

Q: There is something about the interface I don't like (the unit list, the city list, the time for the tooltip to appear when hovering above them, ...)
A: If you are playing with the EUI version, you can modify all of those in the Option menu

Q: My game crash.
A: If the crash is not random (i.e you can reproduce it from a save), then it is a bug, please report it. If the crash is random and tend to happens in late game, then it is a Civ5 memory issue. Try removing any memory heavy mod you are using on top of VP (like RED), playing on smaller maps, or praying for Firaxis to release a 64bit version of the Civ5.

Q: I don't have any ressources generated on the map (or very few)
A: Unsubscribe to any mod named "More Luxuries" on Steam, then reinstall VP. In general, make sure you don't have in your MODS folder two mods that have approximatively the same name.

Q: I don't understand something / An info seems outdated.
A: Look in the Civilopedia. Please ask the question. And also note where you think the information should have been for you to find it. Missing informations and outdated informations count as bugs, so please report them.

@tu_79 Some suggested additional questions. Those are the one I personnally frequently answer.

A: If you are playing with the EUI version, you can modify all of those in the Option menu

Q: My game crash.
A: If the crash is not random (i.e you can reproduce it from a save), then it is a bug, please report it. If the crash is random and tend to happens in late game, then it is a Civ5 memory issue. Try removing any memory heavy mod you are using on top of VP (like RED), playing on smaller maps, or praying for Firaxis to release a 64bit version of the Civ5.

Q: I don't have any ressources generated on the map (or very few)
A: Unsubscribe to any mod named "More Luxuries" on Steam, then reinstall VP. In general, make sure you don't have in your MODS folder two mods that have approximatively the same name.

Q: I don't understand something / An info seems outdated.
A: Look in the Civilopedia. Please ask the question. And also note where you think the information should have been for you to find it. Missing informations and outdated informations count as bugs, so please report them.
Consider it done.

Re no resources on map, another common reason is old Civ5 version. Please also include "First, make sure your Civ5 is up to date. The version displayed under the main menu when you launch the game should end with .279. If it does not, please update the game from Steam." in the A to the Q about no resources. Thanks and thanks for creating this FAQ.

Top Bottom