Frequently Asked Questions - (FAQ)

I wanted to replay some of the best QSC from GOTM20 but the resources icons have been changed by GOTM21 installation package. As an example cow disapppeared in GOTM20.

Is there anything (easy) I can do to be able to play GOTM20 again?

Your resource icons for gtom20 should be stored inside the folder named "resources_storage".

For players still in v1.29 you have to master the simple process of swapping the resource files in and out as outlined in the text file named something like "Swapping the Resource Files.txt"

You can swap back and forth in just seconds as longs as you maintain folders with copies of the original graphics as well as the gepraphics versions from any games you choose to use.

Originally posted by Mark Cutt
Is there anything (easy) I can do to be able to play GOTM20 again?
If you are using PTW it should just happen, so I'll assume you are using 1.29f.

I don't know how easy you need it to be, but on my Mac it would be a two step process:

1. Move the two GOTM21 files called resources.pcx and resources_shadows.pcx from your civ3\art\ directory into an empty subfolder that should be in the same directory called "resources storage\GOTM21xxxxxx\". xxxxx will be "plain", "w. blips", or "w smilies and blips". If none of these GOTM21 subfolders are empty then you don't need to move these files as there are already copies in each of them. Just delete them instead.

Then find the "resources storage\GOTM20 xxxxxxx\" folders in Civ3\art\ and choose a pair of the same two file names according to whether you want smilies and/or blips, and copy those files up into the Civ3\art\ directory.

Here's a picture of my directory structure and the moves involved:

Attachments

• resourcesswap.jpg
    resourcesswap.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 249
Question for [ptw] version: If I build an outpost in the middle of no where and leave no military unit near by, does the outpost prevent barbarian hut popping up?

Question for version: If I build an outpost in the middle of no where and leave no military unit near by, does it prevent barbarian hut popping up?

Hmmm.. Why would a self-confessed barb harvester be interested in suppressing barb villages ? Oh.... I... get it !
You want the outposts to give you earlier targetting info on where the barbs are. Helping you get those lovely veteran and elite upgrades.
I dont know the answer to your question having never built an outpost in either vanilla or PTW but I look forward to someone answering it.

I think barbarian huts only appear where the shroud covers the map (i.e., spaces you don't have current visibility of). Whether you have combat vs noncombat units in the area is irrelevant (i.e., a worker or settler will keep them away, too).

Originally posted by DaviddesJ
I think barbarian huts only appear where the shroud covers the map (i.e., spaces you don't have current visibility of). Whether you have combat vs noncombat units in the area is irrelevant (i.e., a worker or settler will keep them away, too).

I have thought about that, but then remember that when I post a worker on top of a mountain which give me the visibility of the surrounding area, barb camp sometimes pop right ontop of my worker; therefore, my question still remain: Does the visibility of the outpost behave like the visibility of the worker unit or military unit?

Originally posted by Moonsinger
I have thought about that, but then remember that when I post a worker on top of a mountain which give me the visibility of the surrounding area, barb camp sometimes pop right on top of my worker

Really?? I'm very surprised. Do you have a savefile that shows this?

Perhaps I've been lucky, but this has never happened to me.

Originally posted by DaviddesJ
Really?? I'm very surprised. Do you have a savefile that shows this?

Perhaps I've been lucky, but this has never happened to me.

Yes, I have fully tested that theory a while back. Basically, I filled a region of the map with workers and left no military unit near by. Guess what? Barb camp popped right on top of my worker. The worker was killed instantly, of course.

Barb camps can't appear in your culture borders or the visible tiles next to them. They also can't appear within 2 squares of a military unit, regardless of its visibility.

Anything else is fair game.

Originally posted by DaveMcW
Barb camps can't appear in your culture borders or the visible tiles next to them. They also can't appear within 2 squares of a military unit, regardless of its visibility.

Anything else is fair game.

Thank you Dave.:) So basically, the visibility of the outpost (just like the worker) does not prevent barb camp from appearing. Other than the extra offensive and defensive bonus, the outpost is "almost" useless.;) I guess that will go the same for the Radar Tower too.

Outposts are turned off in all GOTM games by basically taking every possible terrain location and saying it does not allow outposts to be built.

Barb camps will not spawn in any square that is within ythe cultural borders of any civilization or +1 additional square of the culture border regardless if these zones are covered by military unit visibility.

In other areas of the map, barb camps will not spawn within visibility of military unit with +1 A or D value.

I have seen barbs spawn immediately under workers, settlers, scouts, and catapults.

Originally posted by samildanach
Hmmm.. Why would a self-confessed barb harvester be interested in suppressing barb villages ? Oh.... I... get it !
You want the outposts to give you earlier targetting info on where the barbs are. Helping you get those lovely veteran and elite upgrades.

You have figured me out.;) Now I know for sure that the outpost can be of great benefit.:) I assume that even if barb camp pop right ontop of the outpost, the outpost won't be destroyed (the same with road and other impovement outside of our culture border - the barbs have never destroyed those).

I have seen barbs spawn immediately under workers, settlers, scouts, and catapults.

And all this time I've been putting out naked settlers with roaming and raging barbs at suitable windows of opportuinity. Not appreciating that a barb village could pop under one of them-if I had known I would have been sweating even more bullets:eek:

Now I know for sure that the outpost can be of great benefit.

Doesn't look like we are going to be able to use it in the GoTM though Moonsinger :sad:

Originally posted by samildanach
Doesn't look like we are going to be able to use it in the GoTM though Moonsinger :sad:

Oh well, there will always be some other game beside the GOTM.;)

Top Bottom