Frequently Asked Questions - (FAQ)

@worlddomination

The MapStat thread is > here <

You'll need to trawl through it for the latest alpha version :)

Have fun

Ted

Thanks, TedJackson!

It was not a Canadian knight in plate mail who came to my rescue. Even better, a Celtic paladin stepped in and saved the day! :lol: I found the alpha version and it worked beautifully, with both european ptw 1.21 and recent gotm-files! What a great tool!

Once again, cheers for everything

I have a question Regarding submition of games.

Do I have to submit a game that I lost on?

You don't HAVE to - but actually you get a few points towards your rating for a loss, and you get none for no submission.

Your choice CivGeneral - but it does make sense to submit a loss.

For PTW 1.21 : in Gotm21 I opted for the standard resources, rather than the blips and smilies. After installing the Gotm22 add-on, I suppose my resource-preference is left untouched ? Just asking to be sure.

Originally posted by Ambiorix
For PTW 1.21 : in Gotm21 I opted for the standard resources, rather than the blips and smilies. After installing the Gotm22 add-on, I suppose my resource-preference is left untouched ? Just asking to be sure.
I haven't installed GOTM22 yet, so don't know for sure, but the previous GOTM's had the resources in a separate scenarios directory name GOTM20/GOTM21. Assuming GOTM22 follows the same method, you'll have to move the resources around in the GOTM22 directory.

I don't know what thread to put this in, but someone please help. I just started the Viking game. WHAT IS TREASURE?????? The civilopedia was no help at all. What do I do with treasure? It can move, that's all I know. Again, sorry if this is in the wrong thread, but I don't want to play further unless I know what's going on.

You are playing the conquest class (and should indicate so in your posts). Go to the GOTM page and look at the conquest bonuses. The chest can be disbanded for 10shields. Use them too build units or buildings. Note that they don't work for wonders. Some have used them to explore also but they will be stolen by barbs if you're not careful.

Originally posted by MSU 1978
I don't know what thread to put this in, but someone please help. I just started the Viking game. WHAT IS TREASURE?????? The civilopedia was no help at all. What do I do with treasure? It can move, that's all I know. Again, sorry if this is in the wrong thread, but I don't want to play further unless I know what's going on.
The main aim of Treasure is to be used to add some shields to a city. Just move the Treasure to a city, then disband it. 10 (I think) shields will then be added to whatever you're building (as long as it's not a wonder).

As a side benefit, Treasure can also be used to do some initial exploring. Just be aware that it has no defense, so if you see a barb start running!

Originally posted by MSU 1978

Their only function in life it to be disbanded to provide shields for a unit or improvement build. So once you put them in the city you want and have the production you want, just disband them.

There are a number of less than optimal screenshots showing up probably from lack of knowledge, so here's some 411 on screenshots:

For a minimap screenshot don't do it from the main screen. You get the white box showing up.
Hit F3 (the military adivisor screen) and then make sure your mouse pointer is on the right, so you don't get the x,y coordinate lines.

Since many ask what to do next:

From the F3 screen with the mouse on the right, hit your printscreen button. (Or hit the printscreen on whatever you want to capture.)
Open MSpaint, PaintShopPro, or any other imaging program. There are many free ones on the net--just do a search.
Paste the image that is hiding on your clipboard (from hitting printscreen) into your imaging program. [Some allow you to turn on screenshots and then you hit a hotkey which puts the screenshot right in the imaging program].
Now crop out everything that isn't needed. Remember, the smaller the better.
You can now resize the image to 50% or 75% or whatever if your imaging program allows. Again, the smaller the better.
Add some text if you like. Pic a font/color/size that is easy to read, but as small as possible.
Some pictures look better if you now add a size 1 black border.
Now save it as a .jpeg and compress it some (like 20 or 30).

It's easy to then post this picture by clicking on the browse button on the reply message screen here. You can also upload them using the easy file upload, noting the URL, and then clicking on the IMG button near the top of the reply message screen if you want multiple pics in the same post.

Sometimes those of us with high speed internet forget about the people with slow modems and post enormous pics.
Sometime we post pics that are too w i d e. Please crop/resize your pics to about 650 or 700 pixels wide (or much less). This lets everyone scroll down through the posts without having to also scroll right and then back left again.

There are many ways to take great screenshots. This is one just one of them. Good luck and happy screenshot taking!

My windows XP and win2k (maybe others) computer came with its own "paint" program that works (look under accessories for paint).

One trick I found with this program is to save the format as jpg before resizing. The reason is that the writing gets messed up if you scale in the bmp format, but works better in the jpg format. It seems if you save as jpg first, you "change formats" to jpg and then when you scale and resave, you don't get the errors.

So:
Use the print screen button in Civ.
Start paint under the accessories menu.
use ctrl-v to paste.
Use "save as" and save it as a jpg image.
Select "stretch/skew" under the image menu and set the image size to 800 by 600 or smaller (75% or smaller for height and width stretch)
Save it again now that you have rescaled it.

For taking just a part of the image I:
Use the print screen button in Civ.
Start paint under the accessories menu.use ctrl-v to paste
use the selection box and ctrl-c to get a part of the image.
choose new (I would save the full image the first few times thru in case something goes wrong)
use ctrl-v to paste.

One problem I run into is that the image can include a lot of white space if the image is smaller than the initial image size and I don't know if you can easily get rid of it. If this happens, then:
Choose new
Go to attributes under the image menu item and make the width and height 10 by 10
use ctrl-v to paste your image (answer yes on making the window bigger to match the picture). It grows the window size to match your picture.
Save it as jpg

This program is not the best progam to use as it is a bit clumsy and primitive, but it has the advantage that for at least some windows computers, it is already there and you don't have to search for another program to do it. It may not have jpg format for earlier versions (the paint for win95?)

There's a nifty little freeware program that's called deskscan. Look it up on the internet and use it for screenshots. It allows you to take a pic of an area rather than the whole screen. www.dpaehl.de (go to english programs and scroll down to deskscan)

The nice thing about this program is it can capture just a portion of the screen, say just the minimap, or just the F11 demographics.

I use it all the time.

Credit to Anarres for pointing out the tool to me.

Go to attributes under the image menu item and make the width and height 10 by 10
use ctrl-v to paste your image (answer yes on making the window bigger to match the picture). It grows the window size to match your picture.

The way I have done it is similar. If you paste a full screen that is over the 800 easily viewable size you can select the area you want and cut it. Go to attributes and clear the image. Paste the cut image on the now very large white sheet and you will see your image with a large white area to the right and bottom. Move your cursor to the very bottom right hand corner of your image and you will see the x,y cooridinates of that point. Now got to attributes and set the size to match those cooridinates and you are done.

Save it at a jpg.

With the addition of the tournament and associated stuff the GOTM threads page is becoming a mess making it easy to overlook interesting threads when visiting. I think this page needs to be reorganised in some way so its easier to find stuff.

I'm having a bit of trouble starting my first GOTM. I've read the FAQ and the intro page, and I followed what it said to do.

I first download the files for GOTM 21 and installed them, then downloaded the files for GOTM 23 and installed them. Then I downloaded the save file that was listed in the README file (the medium difficulty file), but when I tried loading it I got a message saying it couldn't be opened. Did I forget to do something? Any help would be appreciated. My game has the latest patch, 1.29.

Top Bottom