• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

Full Screen diplomacy, is that really what we wanted?

Bigger is better. I never played Civ1

Then what are you waiting for? You've missed one of the greatest games of all times. It's still really good, I play it quite often myself.

It's interesting, but it's pointless. It'll be nice to have for a while, but eventually, once you've been through diplomacy enough, will just slow the game down. Also, the subtitles aren't even translations of what the leader is saying. Almost everything that the leaders said, that I understood, was completely different from what the game said that they were saying. For example: Napoleon says, "France's military is the most powerful in the world," or something of the like, and the subtitle says, "Welcome to France. We are pleased to meet you," or something of the like.

Going to be completely honest here, full screen diplomacy is a gimmick in my eyes because I know the super detail movie-esque diplomacy screens is the last thing I care about in this game. I would've been perfectly fine with leader portraits in a fashion similar to to Civ IV. where you aren't taken directly to some dumb movie with the AI.

One thing I noticed and what they said in the stream was that rather then getting the buildqueue as soon as your build a city it adds to the notification list on the right.

But when it came to finding other civs, they popped right up in the middle of your turn, if you moved to find them. I hope we are able to put that in the noticifaction as well, because it is a bit distracting to be planning your turn and get a popup right away.

I can understand it shows up during the AI's turn as it is up to them I guess.

In Civ IV, I had all battle animations turned off, since it wasn't fun to watch 200 tank battles in a row. Like someone said, these things are cool the first time you seem them, but not after three games.

In Civ IV, I had all battle animations turned off, since it wasn't fun to watch 200 tank battles in a row. Like someone said, these things are cool the first time you seem them, but not after three games.

I don't think I could ever get sick of watching the battles in this game.. the only complaint is that they waste so much game time in an already pretty long game. The battle animations in this game are beautiful though and pretty quick in the scheme of some *cough*advanced wars*cough* tactical 1uph wargames.

I main worry is in Civ 4 (maybe just BUG) whenever a leader opened a dialogue to say, declare war to stop trading with another AI etc. You can go to the Diplo tab and check what the actual consequences (I.e. -2 you declared war on our friend, if other Civs are pleased with them) of declaring war on Civ Y would have been.

I didn't see in the Video if this was possible.

I personally am really excited about this. I like immersion. I like see the leaders I'm playing against and watch them react to my proposals. Most of all I'm quite interested in a lot of the cultures present in the game and it really makes me happy that I can hear them speaking languages similar to those they would have used, even if they are somewhat modernized. It's cool.

If you don't feel the same, then that's cool too, but is it really a big issue? I mean, it really is quite unimportant in the whole scheme of things. If you don't like looking at full screen leaders or hearing them speak, then simply don't pay attention and make you deals with them and get on with it.

As for them popping up, yes they have to speak with you during their turns, so it must be a popup, not something that you can put off. If Bismark wants to trade a resource with you, the outcome of that talk may affect how he goes about the rest of his turn. Do you give him the horses he wants? Then he can start building horsemen right away. If he had to wait for you to get back to him that will put him to a disadvantage, and one turn can make quite a bit of difference at the higher levels.

Will we be able to look at our city and National information while the Diplomacy screen is running, or will we have to decide based on memory of the exact current status of things as we have to do now in Civ 4?

I hate the way the Civ 4 popup windows ask us to make decisions while blocking access to all other info screens.

I'm hoping against hope that there is the ability to ignore diplomatic entreaties.

It was frustrating enough being bombarded by the 'beggar nations' in civ 4 who would come crawling to you eternally asking for favours etc. Now it seems they will be coming to a screen near you in fabulous full screen.

Can you not have an option to mount the heads of foreign emissaries on pikes and ignore incoming messages? I'm pretty sure this is what the fans want.

'Heads on pikes, never goes out of fashion.' GRRM.

Will we be able to look at our city and National information while the Diplomacy screen is running, or will we have to decide based on memory of the exact current status of things as we have to do now in Civ 4?

I hate the way the Civ 4 popup windows ask us to make decisions while blocking access to all other info screens.

If you have bts installed and up to date, try again, you can access the advisors screens now. I don't know when they fixed that, but there wasn't a memo.

It's interesting, but it's pointless. It'll be nice to have for a while, but eventually, once you've been through diplomacy enough, will just slow the game down. Also, the subtitles aren't even translations of what the leader is saying. Almost everything that the leaders said, that I understood, was completely different from what the game said that they were saying. For example: Napoleon says, "France's military is the most powerful in the world," or something of the like, and the subtitle says, "Welcome to France. We are pleased to meet you," or something of the like.

You've got that backwards, the subtitles are the only thing to concern yourself with. I was hoping they would have been able to actually do enough voice recording so that every bit of text would be covered, butfor all intents and purposes it might as well be the leader speech from civ rev.

Would you care for this deal Napoleon? (You)

(Nap) "Welcome to France. We are pleased to meet you,"

Would you care to help me rid the world of Monty? (You)

(Nap) "Welcome to France. We are pleased to meet you,"

Top Bottom