Future Mod

What is it you want about DCM?

All bombardments (including archer), and attack support (not stack attack [it is ok but unnecessary]), and opportunity fire are cool with me.

Lol, Oppertunity fire is so hillariously broken it's not even funny. Things that shouldn't happen happen.

Like..."The longbowman has gained oppertunity fire on your dreadnought."
Sorry, but it is broken, broken, and more broken than a sack of broken watches.

Ranged bombardment is fine, but only if you remove the insanely useless accuracy thing. I'm sorry, but Catapults are not more inaccurate so than modern day Artillery. :)
Same with Trebushechets.

Where the hell is the download for this mod? I have asked and asked for a download from some other place than Atomic Gamer and yet to have any of them...

Did I miss something? Is there a vast conspiracy here?

No conspiracy, I'm working on two methods of giving you an alternate place to download it. One is a website I've uploaded it to, but I"m waiting on approval. The other is to put it in Civ Fanatics: I trimmed it down to 100 mb by cutting out leaderheads in order to make it small enough to go on CivFanatics directly, which I might do eventually when I'm happy enough with it. That is to say, I need to complete the credits and civilopedia and make sure no oops are left lying around like the fact that I left Barbarian civ human and ai playable in the current version. The plan was to supplement that core version with patches to add more civs and stuff, but part of my plan for that aspsect was to raid other mods that might be installed by simply using their assets with a path the way I raid the official standard mods. Unfortunately, paths don't reach inside fpk so

<NIF>Mods/marsjetzt-v03/Assets/Art/leaderheads/126)Indian/asoka.nif</NIF>

doesn't work the way

<NIF>Mods/The Road to War/Assets/art/LeaderHeads/finland/sid.nif</NIF>

does.

However, I'll try to get another place to upload the latest.

PS. The way I handle artillery in the future mod is to give ranged units a one hundred percent retreat. This reflects how artillery actually works. It attacks the enemy without being exposed to real risk from the target's defensive power. However, it has to take a break to do things like move to a different hill, restock ammunition etc... or even it will be destroyed. It remains out of range and relatively safe (though not necessarily effective until it "repairs" itself) unless an enemy unit actively overruns it.

I've got to quit posting links directly in the thread, I should post showthreads. When I uploaded 1.51 I deleted all earlier versions except 1.36, the last version for BtS 3.17

Hi,

I've been playing this mod off and on since ver 1.28 and would like to say you've done a great job! Keep up the good work!

That said, have you thought about differentiating cities more? There isn't much of a difference between a city on earth terrain and a city on mars terrain. It would be nice to have mars or moon specific buildings to break up the tedium of building the same buildings over and over.

I tried to add some but couldn't get them to work. It doesn't seem possible without an SDK change.

- Roll

I would especially like to do this with cities in Space. In fact its something I want to do eventually. Make buildings require a specific terrain some way. Hmm...

What do you think of how the new Ancient eras play? I'll answer that. The AI doesn't want to build slash and burn, and even the human player is severly challenged. Normal feels like Marathon. The balance of the units and buildings need work. Not being able to build a Palace until Monarchy is crippling. Giving it free makes the game play feel much more normal, but I feel that's less authentic to starting in 12000 BC. These neolithic and mesolithic cities are Catal Huyuk, Jericho, that sort of thing.

And yes, there's absolutely no ethnic anything, Norwegian's can build Impis (Elite Spearmen), whatever. My thinking is that each of these unit types or building types, the uniques that I'm generalizing, is simply the best of breed, and the art used is iconic for it. The Samurai is iconic of a late feudal man at arms, not necessarily exactly a Japanese Samurai. The Legion is iconic of a certain kind of late antiquity war organization, not necessarily the Roman Legion. Kind of abstract. Ethnic specificity is an enormous amount of work for what is essentially icing on the cake, but then again attention to detail can make all the difference.

This is a different mod than I usually play - I like to play from the dawn of time to the future but this looks like a good mod. I'm going to give it a try tonight. Thanks for the work!

I like this mod. The fact that I just had an event where industrious civilians spontaneously built a highway in 10.000 BC was amusing but I think you might want to look in that. :D

Hmm but my game crashes during the autosave at some point. The first time I thought it was a coincidence, but when I reloaded it happened again. Then I started a new game and again it crashed at around 250 turns..

Also started in ancient era (which I really like so it's kinda frustrating this happens). I also noted that when saving causes the crash, you are unable to see information when you hover over a square.

I would especially like to do this with cities in Space. In fact its something I want to do eventually. Make buildings require a specific terrain some way. Hmm...

You could give the city with python after onCityBuild a specific building, depending on the terrain, and make other buildings requiere these buildings.
Just an idea :).

Hmm but my game crashes during the autosave at some point. The first time I thought it was a coincidence, but when I reloaded it happened again. Then I started a new game and again it crashed at around 250 turns..

Also started in ancient era (which I really like so it's kinda frustrating this happens). I also noted that when saving causes the crash, you are unable to see information when you hover over a square.

That doesn't happen to me. I've been testing mainly the ancient era. Playing on Monarch I pull way ahead and the Dark Age doesn't even things up. I think it's because the AI doesn't build the Slash and Burn farms so I'm going to have to either make it a favorite imp of the ancient era civs or else redo the whole ancient agriculture thing. Also I'm adding a couple of more AND preereqs so you can't bypass and get Industrialism before Gunpowder or Compass before Dark Age (which would prevent stacking up different kinds of sea related buildings for a real bonanza).

What map are you using? What size? What civs? Are you using a custom or advanced start? Can you post me the last viable autosave? If you restart from the last viable autosave does it recur?

I like this mod. The fact that I just had an event where industrious civilians spontaneously built a highway in 10.000 BC was amusing but I think you might want to look in that. :D

Yes, I need to update events. When I was originally redoing them I had no intention of ever adding an ancient era.

You could give the city with python after onCityBuild a specific building, depending on the terrain, and make other buildings requiere these buildings.
Just an idea :).
So under onCityBuild there would be "if" followed by something that checks the terrain of the tile, then something that adds a specific building to the new city. Yes, I'll try it.

I started a new game again and played until the crash and made this save right before it happens. I hope it helps!

Attachments

• latenzien.CivBeyondSwordSave
    68.4 KB · Views: 80
Any update on when it's downloadable? You could place it on Rapidshare or something. :(

I'm still waiting for approval on the last one suggested in the CivFanatics downloads database, ModDB I think its called, though its seems to have some association with FileFront. Anyway, I guess I'll try Rapidshare.

Water, I've figured out the cause of the crash, and why I don't get them and you do. I play on Normal speed and you play on...some other speed. Here's what it is. After I finished putting in the ancient era, I set the game speeds so the dates would all line up on all speeds on advanced starts. I started getting these date displays like this, which I got from your save:

Turn 302-# ,3887 BC.

So, I went back and made sure that all month increments were divisible by 12, and compensated so percentages of total game length would be at the same year. Then I checked each speed to make sure they didn't get crazy date dsplays at first, figuring if they cropped anywhere it would be there.

So, I'm pretty sure why you have the crash and I don't I've been playing on Normal gamespeed, but can't figure out why you would be getting a crash about 3000 BC. I don't see any major shifts of increment or months per increment at that point on any gamespeed. Exactly what gamespeed were you playing on?

On Quick there are 75 increments of 1284 months starting in 12000BC, taking you to 3975 BC where the increments change to 75 more increments of 312 months each, which is 1950 more years, bringing you to 2025 BC at turn 150. Clearly you were not playing on Quick.

On Epic 150 increments of 648 months brings you to 3900 BC, then 146 increments of 156 months or 1898 years bringing you to 2002 BC at turn 300. Thus you are clearly playing on Marathon.

On Marathon there are 300 increments of 324 turns, bringing you to 3900 BC at which time the months per increment goes to 76, which is NOT divisble by 12, what was I thinking, maybe that 72 inches is 6 feet so its divisible by 12? I'll patch it.
OK, I'm attaching a patch to the first post. I fixed it.

PS Water, what's the matter with you? Why haven't you switched to Monarchy?

Hey, this mod looks great, but I cant download the latest version b/c my game wont patch up to 3.19 (b/c I have the digital version). Can I use the unofficial patch to play this mod? Or does anyone know a way to install the 3.19 patch to a digitial version of the game?

Thanks for help.

Or does anyone know a way to install the 3.19 patch to a digitial version of the game?
...all versions are digital, as computers are pretty digital - I guess you mean download version! ;)

Which one do you use, because Steam versions have updated a time ago already (I think very early, like on patch day or so), for the Direct2Drive version: I've heard they did that as well, at least if you re-download the game, it's supposed to be patched up - but I don't know for sure, only hearsay (and their website says 3.19 as current version as well).

Cheers, LT.

...for the Direct2Drive version: I've heard they did that as well, at least if you re-download the game, it's supposed to be patched up - but I don't know for sure, only hearsay (and their website says 3.19 as current version as well).

Cheers, LT.

I'm playing D2D game :).
I just redownloaded the BtS and it is fine ever since.

OK DavidB1111, I put it on Rapidshare. In fact this is version 1.53. I fixed the issue with WorkGangs turning into aliens once you hit the Renaissance (that was supposed to happen in the Future era). Also I made some civic modificaitons. Slavery makes the AncientTown produce an extra hammer and Shamanism makes the Depleted Farm produce an extra food. Also fully deleted the barb unit Storm and replaced the wonder art formerly known as Tall City with different art. Slash and Burn is now just a regular chop, just not a very good one, rather than a really short lived farm that the AI doesn't know how to use.

http://rapidshare.com/files/257394878/FutureMod153.zip.html

Thank you, I can't wait to play this mod. :)

When I play the game on Earth 2 under Custom Game, my city is always stagnant and the population never increases. I have tried this three different times. What is the problem?

Top Bottom