GalaxyNES- No Horizons

It can be an exact genetic replica, but it still lacks the firsthand experience that Shamai Prime possesses, although it is doubtlessly a quick learner.

To: Shamai

No, of course I don't put much weight in what they say, but you know as well as I that this wouldn't have been the first time you flirted with the taboo. Still, their possession of potential Zan genetic information remains a concern- they could unwittingly unleash the cataclysm upon us and the rest of the galaxy a second time. Do destroy their Collectivity quickly, or I may have to perform the tiresome intervention myself.

Sanathi. Sanathi. Sanathi words and poison. Poison. They must not be allowed to speak again. A major physical invasion is to be expected but I must cause much more damage quickly. They are a large. Large. Large empire. Their technology is highly advanced, and they seem to be copying Zan ideas of how to manage whole fleets with one brain. The poor test subjects much be going going going crazy. Ha I laugh at the mind image image it creates in me.

My smaller ships are doing a fine job expanding my space. Much better job than my larger capital ships have ever done. Perhaps small size is the key to victory in this ever lasting war war war war war.

And what of the beast beast that appeared. I must see Kena kena kena kena using the deleter he owns owns on the beast. I want to see if the machine would work. That beast is far far beyond a Wera. I i i doubt the Zan even noticed such a creature before. The records do not speak speak of any such thing.

As far as my first pieces pieces of information information about the beast is that it is very primal primal. It does not not not not seem to think properly and intelligently. If it had plans against the Zan it it it would not not attack the Sun in that system. A primal primal beast of untold power that devours sources of of of great energy. If such such a beast could be used used used used....... The Wera seemed to be using it. It released vast amounts of energy there. Yes yes.

to Kena:
Please send me any piece of information of the best. Send scouts to research its body. I want to know more. The Wera use that beast. Also test the dirge at a low power on one of his parts, to see if it vanishes before firing full power on. We might be able to study such a beast and become much more powerful.
As for the Sanath. Leave them to me. I will enjoy ending them.

The studies studies still go on. Communication with father are to leveled down. He will soon start sending sending a different line of thought from his studies. He must only be able to communicate when he is done. Yes yes yes yes I must only communicate when studies are done. Com is now down for father................................................

It is quiet. Size is the the the key to victory.

To: Shamai

I have withdrawn my forces to observe the star-devouring beast, and to avoid potential damage to the Dirge. I intend to destroy it utterly before it deals any further mild inconvenience to myself.

Chee Nira Cha stared at the blob.

It was, as far as he could tell, a blob.

"It is, as far as I can tell, a blob. Which reminds me, the Korathi blob-fruit...is there any?"

The Ullau researcher had never heard of Korathi blob-fruit. His expression flickered confusedly.

"Er...while the differentiation process seen thus far has proved impossible to replicate yet, we believe that the embryo, if it can be called that, can be awakened from stasis and placed in an incubator of our own design."

Chee purred in thought. "Ah. Well. Hm. Creation War led to purification of Kasekral. Now great allies. Qii will argue in favor of purification, engineering of new Zan race to ally with us. Kasekral will argue against, for destruction of abomination. Zan Shamai the first, Kena the second. Likelihood of third, fourth? Creating new Zan will create powerful allies, powerful enemies as well. A risk should not be taken lightly. Or without a proper snack. Even so."

He turned back to the befuddled researcher.

"Say what, the fetuses on the Council?"

"First Seraph Qii've'nar Pa'lai'ei has said that the decision rests with you, based on your century of experience with the Zan."

Chee scratched his skull, which was rattling again. As he aged, more and more of his biological organs were being replaced with cybernetic replacements. Another century and only his brain would remain. Perhaps they could make a mock-up of a Nitha frame to keep him from looking like a terrifying robot construct...but this was besides the point.

"It was written by Saint Tree Chai Nati, 'We will wake the child of darkness, and turn him to the light.' If a demon can fall, it can be raised."

"Sir?"

"Yes, yes. Place the son of the Abomination in a containment ward at the designated location, and wake it up."

"Rou guide us all."

"Yes yes. I must attend to reconstituting my fleet. I leave this in the hands of the Qii. They must teach this being compassion and virtue, but also capture what information its' father taught it. If they fail, ensure that the protocols to destroy it are in place."

He swept away on a dozen mechanical legs. The implementation of the SYSTEM was going well. But would he get the new enhanced city-ships, Dakar Tash'kral, N-Dimensional Construct, and Naellae to the front in time? A dozen maneuvers and ideas proceeded on simultaneous tracks within his brain, as the pump on his back infused another stream of anti-senescence drugs. He would need more time. He grimaced, realizing what must be done.

"Complete the evacuation of Ili'li'i," he snapped into a com-link. "We are bringing the mothership to war."

"I will hold you at bay, evil one," Chee muttered to himself, "until we can purify your child."

Nahka Rashtala looked over the sample in the scanner carefully one more time. It looked different outside of its green-tinged, Zan-built stasis jar. In a word... pinker. Perhaps a little healthier. Taking a few steps across the cramped lab- built for Qii, no doubt- she gave a thoughtful, thorough look at the tiny creature, barely thick enough to even have any observable colour. It was suspended in the sugar and mineral-rich solution that had previously sustained the Zan cell cultures, motionless. The embryo was miniscule, barely even five centimetres across. At the center of the embryo was a disc of perhaps one centimetre in diameter, flattened on a section of its circumference where one might have drawn the head on a more familiar-looking creature. Branching out from it were two arms, two legs and a tail, though to be more accurate, each limb appeared to be a tapering tentacle, each generally identical in structure to the rest. Between these five primary limbs were a host of smaller limbs, so thin as to appear to be little more than simple fibres. On closer inspection, a fine membrane stretched between the primary limbs, and the secondaries appeared to stand as simple struts within the membrane. Considering that, the creature’s appearance could be described perhaps as that of a headless pentaradial octopus crossed with a bat.

Nahka looked at the creature, feeling a rising sense of revulsion. She should destroy it right now, to prevent another Zan from entering the universe- it was the absolute least she could do.

“But no,” the Kasekral scolded herself, “I’m... better than that.” Repressing her previous feelings, she looked again at the tiny lifeform. So small. It seemed impossible that this was one of the most evil beings in all of creation.

But it wasn’t! It was a non-sentient embryo. It had never done anything wicked to the universe, even if its relatives or... exact clone had committed untold atrocities against the sentient life of the Galaxy. Wrestling the anger back down within herself, Nahka blinked her eyes several times and watched the tiny creature once more. A tentacle twitched, a little motion so filled with innocuousness and innocence that Nahka could not help but be taken aback. How could this thing be a Zan? It was no different from any other little broodling, resting in a peaceful sleep until the time had come for it to be released into the world. She wanted the thing to just sit there, lurking, or screaming at her. If it hated her, she could at least believe what it was.

“Point the segment.” Interrupted a soft, but stern voice from behind. “You cannot approach it from an emotional standpoint.”

The Kasekral’s nictating membranes twitched slightly at the interruption of her internal monologue, but she turned to face her Qii counterpart.

“But it is Zan. Its’ kind are tied to the unspeakable suffering of trillions- one cannot simply perform science with no context of the outside world!”

“We must, young Nahka Rashtala, for doing otherwise entraps this being in the actions of others of its kind, denying it any chance of developing free of that legacy.”

“Then we just... grow it? Let it become exactly what its kin have become?”

“Point the helix, you misrepresent me.” The Qii drew closer, rearing up beside Nahka and looking piercingly at the Zan embryo. “We nurture the creature to ensure that it becomes able to survive independently in its environment. We do so dispassionately and pragmatically. However, that is merely how we treat the body. The mind is an entirely different case.”

“Obviously yes.”

“To the mind, we show love, tolerance and wisdom. We must hate this creature no more for the crimes of the Zan than I should hate yourself, or any single being for the devastation of Nept. Remember, the conversion of mortal enemies to cherished friends is a cornerstone of the Collectivity.”

Nahka’s hackles raised at the seemingly tactless statement, but, with a slowly spreading sensation, at last came to accept the reasoning of her senior partner. With all the power of her will, she would approach the specimen as if it were any other unknown alien species, raise it as she would raise her own offspring, shielding it from the toxic hatred that she knew its kind deserved. Most of its kind. Perhaps it could be raised to redemption. And perhaps... she would have to destroy it after all.

The embryo twitched again, and once again the Kasekral was the only person in the area. Bemusedly, she imagined that the blind, senseless being was waving to her. She spared a small chuckle, then shifted her mind into a more serious mood to record her notes for the first day of the creature’s development out of the stasis container.

Day 1: Subject has been transferred into nutrient solution. Lifesigns and movement are apparent. Subject displays an unchanged body plan from previous images, appears to be only slightly divergent from a pentaradially symmetric form with five primary arms and clusters of secondary arms supporting webbing between the tips of their longer counterparts. No visible cephalisation.

The duplication duplications process seems to be gong well. More and more of me awake every every moment and I can hear with each connection an amazing increase in processing power power.

The biological tests of my genetic material...

I found it! The cataclysm! So small small. Nothing more more more than a tiny fragment of genetic material. It's not Zan originally.. The code is different. I remember that that that code from somewhere. Access memory files. Of course Of course. I have seen this little fragment code everywhere. Almost in any creature the Zan have met. Such a tiny little genetic fragment being everywhere. Why would that be.

It does not seem to be of Zan zan origin. Or any other origin. It seems to be a strange one. A virus. It is a viral genetic infection stuck into any genetic material across the galaxy galaxy! How could such a thing exist exist? Even in genetic materials built differently this code appears to change to fit any kind of genetic code code. What does it code for. Tests are required. So many died in the cataclysm, am I to do this this? I recall the dying, the pain pain. I recall Zan turning on Zan zan. Feeding on each other other. Is this the meaning of this code?... Tests are required. A secret laboratory is required required. I will see what kind of atrocity this codes for for.

How are the new designs going? Smaller ships, smaller weapons weapons. More power to numbers numbers. ... Mutating ships perhaps? Yes yes. Ships with the innate ability to change according to the battle.

Why is there a network warning? A hack hack. Something is trying to enter my network network network. *laugh* Come in in. Someone is trying to mess with my communication array. Hilarious hilarious hilarious! Can another creature think it can send a computer virus against the Zan? Can anything think it's intelligent enough to mess with such a perfected machination machination?
Center the hack. I want to see how good it is. Let the hack hack influence several robotics in the fleet and copy their behavior for confusing the enemy enemy. If an enemy think he can have me me... he he he...

And of brother Shamai lost. He as been aging now without the Zan network network. He is a lost cause cause. Elimination is required.

numbers numbers are key to everything.

Deadly Biological Horrors was sad, he couldn't reach the central neural matrix. He'd tried the aft connection but that had been blocked. Even Caution, Danger, Death and Imminent Harm couldn't get through. Death being somewhat bolder than the rest had tried to push his way through and was very nearly successful before Humour and Amusement grabbed him by the fluke and began to drag him towards the Hall of Carnal Knowledge. Death wouldn't have minded if Amusement's tickling hadn't ended up hitting one of his many exposed nerves but as it was he screamed and kicked the whole way back down the hall.

Deadly Biological Horrors had tried the fore connection but had only managed to get as far as the first door before he got intercepted by Hilarious Hijinks. Hijinks had been kinder to Deadly Biological Horrors than Humour and Amusement had been to Death, he just picked his kin up, slung him over his right pectoral and threw him into the Hall of Horrid Memories That Should But Can't Quite Be Forgotten, which is right next to the Hall of Catchy Jingles That Are Always Present But Not When You Want To Hear Them. Deadly Biological Horrors hadn't thanked him for that, he'd been subjected to watching a Zan being born.

So Deadly Biological Horrors had just sat down, his eyes clouding over with tears while the other's debated what to do with the his namesake. The prevailing wisdom was to rip open a hole in real-space ahead of the monstrosity - another of his names - and skip it like a stone across a pond - something that Obscure Stolen Memories remembered - until it connected with THE TARGET - quite what target Targeting had in mind was anyone's guess. But it was known that he was securely ensconced with Mischief, Havoc and Chaos. Quite what that augured was again anyone's guess.

An emergency signal was received at every star system surrounding the Demi system. The signal is translated into a recording, crackled and distorted, yet horrifyingly clear

Alert Broadcast, Level Omega, Transmission Immediate Area. Testing...

This is Ur Tyr Vyca, Mejani, resident of Vycan system. Reporting impending crisis.

Radioactive cloud appeared in Mejani system. Extreme radiation permeates lighter biosuits. Residents of Kya and Lyra...wiped out by radiation. Vytan unconfirmed. Vycan system unaffected by cloud.

Communication relays damaged beyond repair. Vycan planetary systems still functional. Vycan sleeper ships sent to search for...uh...survivors.

Recommend Kanadoff and The Many take precautions against heavy radiation poisoning. Cloud appears moving, but dissolving to harmless...uh...particles.

Rumored dead to be...to be...

*Sound of a thud, struggle.*

* Background voice* Restrain him before he hurts someone!

KYRAX BLEEDS FOR MEJANI! HE FEELS HER SUFFERING! *sobs*

* Background voice* Get him out of here!

The recording runs off into silence.

Kyraxism.

Spoiler :
The Mejani generally consider themselves to agnostic, but they tolerate various religious viewpoints so long as they don't delve into cultism. The Mejani that inhabit Vyca, however, have long had a monotheistic religion, Kyraxism, the belief in the divinity of the sun god Kyrax. Kyraxism had it's roots in the destruction of the Mejani home world eons earlier. The Mejani that later became the Vycan Mejani originated from a dogmatic crusading nation whose name was lost to time. After the death of the home world, many of the future Vycan began to doubt their ancient religion. The species was on the verge of becoming fanatically atheist until a charismatic young priestess captivated the survivors. She preached that a god did exist and watched over them, but was unable to intervene to stop death and destruction, which would place the natural balance of the galaxy out of order. The god Kyrax, she claimed, was tortured by his forced nonintervention and "bled as they bled and suffered as they suffered". The priestess, who gave her name, Vyca, to "the new Mejani home world", became the first leader of the Mejani. While she could have easily become a dictator of the volcanic world, she instead chose to become a figurehead, establishing a virtually nonexistent government similar to those set up by the other three races.

So Maybe I'm A Masochist

The worldship Au'tuc buzzed to life for the first time in many annuals. The scent of activity filled the many chambers, waking every sleeping Lauki, every single Rax.

“We go home.”

The primitive chirps and pops of the Lauki echoed in the massive ship. Wildly advanced reactors hummed to life beneath the hull, surging the artificial lighting over the sapling Maus in the nursery districts. Massive propulsion bursts bellowed from the sides of the colossal object, propelling it on a new course – home to Au, home to Ma'Autra.

Around the giant worldship lays the dried up remains of a former asteroid field, sapped of all natural resources in the construction of this ship it is but a desert in the void. Larger than any planet once occupied by Ma'Autra, this creation of the natural world is beyond what nature itself could muster. A mobile empire, holding many hundreds of billions of Lauki and many hundreds of thousands of Maus. A second genesis for the master species, a return from exodus.

“We have a great battle ahead of us children.”

Millions of Rax, the same species eradicated by the 'evolved' Lauki in the Republic, train passionately. Many hundreds of years have passed by as they waited on the edges of known space, rebuilding, repopulating and considering the mistakes of their parents. The most ancient Maus that escaped the Fall cluster together as the venerable leaders of the Union, pushing it towards the final goal, the only goal worth pursuing.

“The Demon led our brothers to betrayal, deceived the innocence of nature with the tools of the destroying races. Corrupted they won the battle and foolishly celebrated victory. We have spent our time idly watching the happenings of this galaxy from afar. Learning from the past and from our failures to stop the ultimate evil. Children we weep for the loss of your siblings, the fallen ones, but we have never strayed from the path. There are worse threats than the Demon in this universe, but as the roots of a sapling dig deep and thorough, so shall we dig for victory. The sweet waters of our home will once more refresh us.”

As the ship moved powered to ever greater speeds a single beam of energy shot forth towards a distant gas giant. Flashing for a moment, the planet seemed stable, but was quickly and violently twirling like a stormy sea. Finally being devoured by multiple long tears in its surface until nothing remained.

A punishment for the evil that tore the roots from the soil.

They chased the sunrise. The ship cut through the atmosphere, leaving a smoking trail behind, slicing through layer on layer of the atmosphere. Belts of clouds suddenly obscured the window, then vanished just as abruptly, like passing glimpses of trees on a railway. And through it all, the sun, a brilliant orange, the clouds above and below it gleaming like fiery snow. The shuttle began to level out, and the strain of slowing down was audible as the metal bracings and beams shuddered against the air outside. Peri listened to it all, completely relaxed – exit and reentry were second-nature to her after the years of military service she had logged.

The shuttle approached the rim of mountains, and with a little rise and fall, she had a brilliant panorama of the Ana Crater, a thousand lakes glittering in the sun, the mountains silver and white in every direction. The city lay before them.

All agreed that Ana had been among the loveliest settings for a city, in all of the universe. It lay in the caldera of a massive volcano – which, while only one of several supervolcanoes on their homeworld, was just large enough to be spectacular and just small enough to be stunning. The sky broke open above them, rimmed by the serrations and majesties of the peaks on the crater's rim. On the one side lay a great lake, on the other, a dark, calm forest.

Peri felt the ship slow and slow, until it finally touched down on a long landing strip with a bump. She nearly got pulled out of the harness by the deceleration, before it settled at the end of the runway, and the ship was immediately picked up by little waiting ground vehicles and ferried off on their backs to the sprawling mass of the spaceport. A veritable jungle of buildings grew out of the ground, like a crowd of walking concrete trees that had been stopped mid-motion; Peri barely paid attention to the passing structures before the little ground cars deposited them in front of a large terminal. Lines extended between building and craft, the hatches opened, and she climbed along one into the spaceport.

The name of Oerra the admiral was not as influential as she might have hoped, but she managed to make quick progress through the numerous checkpoints anyway once it became clear she was military personnel. On the other side, she met with one of her contacts on the ground, a strange-looking Fehan who introduced herself as Hililiao.

“So I'm told you are a friend of Oerra's,” she said, a chirpy southern accent lilting through her voice.

“I am on assignment for her, at any rate.”

“Her go-to Fehan?”

“I doubt she singles out anyone as her 'go-to Fehan.' But I do what I can for her.”

Hililiao's snout tilted downwards in amusement. “I think you're right. Anyway, I don't believe we should be talking out here, if you catch my meaning. Come on.” She led Peri up several branches of the building, to a monorail platform. It had begun to rain by the time the train arrived.

“We have ourselves a sealed compartment here,” Hililiao ('Call me Hili, please.') said, “If you'll just come inside...” the door closed with a hiss behind them as the train passed out of the spaceport and over the city, various towers and penthouses whisking by the window, interspersed with the green of parklands.

“Oerra tells me you're after a certain Fehan by the name of Marikihi. And that you're supposed to be pretty secretive about this whole enterprise.”

“I was hoping I could find her on Helan, arrest her on some charge or another, and bring her back to Oerra on her private shuttle before anyone who might be able to interfere knew anything about it.”

“Is that so?” Hili stretched, and rubbed at her airholes with a paw. “You're going to have a few problems with that course.”

“Why do you say that?”

“She was already arrested. Two days ago.”

“What.”

“Yep.”

“Who arrested her? What for? She's a scientist.”

“Well, if I were to guess, someone else had the same notion that Oerra and you did.”

Peri edged closer. “Who?”

Hili's snout curled downwards. “Likely one of the higher-ups in the Orahi government, given that they were the ones who arrested her. Whoever it is has covered their tracks extremely well. They haven't told any of the other governments a thing. I don't even know if everyone in Orahi knows about it. Marikihi has been questioned by seven different Fehan. I'd bet you one of them ave the order, but which one is anyone's guess.”

“So what do they intend to do with her?”

“She's a brilliant scientist just imprisoned by one of the premier governments on the planet. What do you think they're trying to do with her? She'll be working for them, and they'll try to keep her discoveries all to themselves.”

“Can you get me in to see her?”

“Maybe I can, maybe I can't. Let's find out.”

Previous Story in Arc
Next Story in Arc

Right so I'm getting back into this with a rather different species:

Name: Self
Species: As of now this organism has no concept of self or other as there has never been anything but it on the planet but it. It is all life on the planet whether this is the state that things have always been or not is unknown and at this point irrelevant. Right now it is in a fairly basic state as there has been no need for advancement as a organism. However there has been an unforeseen visit to the planet that may require some new complexity...
Forces: Complete cellular control
Technology: N/A
Description: As of right now the entire planet appears to be entire covered with a variety of planets each best suited for energy production in every environment found on the planet. In reality everything on the planet is connected to a giant "brain" (for lack of a better term) that right now merely manages the various "plant" life but in the future it will do so much more...

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showpost.php?p=9618785&postcount=6

It was at this point in time that a signal change occurred in the apparent nature of the Yjogl species. Or perhaps it had always been that way. If you have no way of seeing but no other senses but sight, then of course you seem oblivious, and of course you cannot act.

Scientific opinion elsewhere was mistaken in thinking that the Yplein actually operated on a completely different timescale: busy eating light, the Yjogl have always harvested a slight surplus, and stored it carefully inside their walls - and the walls of an Yjogl contain light perfectly. When, as we now see, a Yjogl has a sufficient surplus of light contained within its walls, it finds itself unable to contain the quantity of light, by this point a near infinite quantity gained over a very long time, and bursts at all its seams at one and the same time.

Just so did the first Yjogl, hovering over the middle system of the Association of Fplinmy, burst, all at once, in a completely uncontrolled fashion, and the flash was seen across the entire galaxy. The Yplein on board took hold of the bare case of the old Yjogl, still glowing brightly, and, all their apathy lost, towed it away to find a planet where it could be repaired and carefully stitched together again using the resources of that planet, and it was for this reason that it was at this point that a huge horde of Yplein set off, and at a good speed too, directly for Shamai, the nearest system in the direction they headed, with their maddening stings bared, looking for somewhere to repair their home, which draped like a massive cloak behind them, completely unseen, but blotting out all the stars as it passed, and gleaming mysteriously, like a golden cloud of light, across space.

Darkness settled over what had once been a star system. It was now only a cloud of rubble left by planetary bodies, torn to shreds by the massive gravitational shift when the star was consumed. The One turned towards the closest source of energy and began to move.

The One lumbered towards the ships that remained from the fight, they saw that their weapons had only made it stronger, and so they had fled. The One pulsed energy into the Many and those injured by the energy and matter discharges of the ‘tiny bubbles of atmosphere’ reformed and sprang back to the One.

The One pursued them slowly, sending out signals to the Many.

“HUNGRY”

The One was fixated on the lead ship, some source of power there had drawn its attention. However the ‘tiny bubbles of atmosphere’ were too fast for the One’s unstoppable lumbering to catch. Again the signals went out.

“HUNGRY”

The trillions of the tiny Many surrounding the One’s immense bulk heeded the call.

TO: Zan Kena

Pay great mind to the message you are receiving Betrayer. Your mechanical existence is heresy in the face of the great natural order, nothing less than insult to the Giver, and worthy only of extreme punishment. Your path is the incorrect one, a natural lottery deemed your race obsolete and sent forth a great event to eradicate you. Defying the order of the universe by self extension and fusion with machine is the absolute betrayal. We are the harbingers of life, enforcing the way of things, the past and future; you are not the only betrayer in this universe, you are, however, in line for extinction.

The brilliant blue sun beat down on the bubbling pool of molten metal it was here, of all places, that movement could be seen on this planet. The surface of the pool broke and a tiny creature d crawled out to lay on the warm iron and bask in the warm radiation from the sun. Some time passed as it lay there, and then it called out in the silent voices of these creatures “This Way.” A primitive form of communication, but effective, soon others swam up from the bubbling pool to lay beside the other and feed upon the radiation from their sun. They lay there for a millennia feeding happily on the energy basking their metallic planet from their highly powerful star before it happened. Another planetary body passed between the metallic planet and its sun, and for a few hours the creatures were cut off from the nourishing radiation. They stirred from their long slumber and, seeking to find energy in the iron surface of the planet began to consume. It was then, for the first time, that a curious thing happened, for each time one of the creatures consumed its own mass in materials it began to undergo the process of cellular mitosis, their diving rapidly until they had produced an exact copy of the organism. When the eclipse ended the metallic creatures and their new ‘offspring’ found themselves bathed in life-giving radiation. Instead of just going back to sleep however they continued to consume, and divide, and soon there were many of the creatures. Their signals flew through the air and beyond far out into space, to places unknown and unknowable to the simple metallic creatures.

It was millions of years before the One heard the signals, and millions more before it reached the place of their origin, lumbering slowly through space as it does.

---

The Many, too small and fast to be targeted by the weapons of space-faring vessels, rocketed towards the fleet of ships.

It started with the hull.

The Many set to work, breaking apart the molecular structure of the metals in the hull and consuming the matter. Each time a Many consumed its own mass in metal a curious thing happened, they would divide, leaving two where there had been one.

To: Au'tuc

Oh, how adorable! The little talking tree is coming back to its nursery, speaking down to a GOD. Abandon your weapons now and surrender to the Hegemony.

"Point the semicircle. It has been accepted for millennia that there are a multitude of dimensions higher than the four in which most known organisms interact and perceive. The exact number of these dimensions has been a matter of some dispute, but their existence has not.

Point the circle. Recent exotic antimatter experimentation now seems to indicate that not simply do higher dimensions exist, but at least one lower dimension as well. This zero dimension seeks to revolutionize our conception of the physical world.

Point the hemisphere. The manipulation of the zero dimension and of possible negative dimensions beyond has consumed my entire lifetime. Our ancient Collectivity of billions has lived under a shadow since before my birth. If not for the actions of Saint Chee Nira Cha, we would long be consumed by the Abomination. I could not senesce before I saw this to completion.

Point the sphere. We have mastered the darkness. Let us hope we can control it."

-Qii've'nar Shainin, Chief Theorist of the SYSTEM

“How was it?” Hili asked Peri, the cheerfulness in her voice grating.

“Supremely unhelpful. She's not here.”

“Wait, what? Are you saying my people got something wrong?” Hili looked affronted at the very thought.

“No, not at all. Marikihi was arrested, kept here, and questioned multiple times. And then she escaped.”

“Wait, what?”

“Yeah, that's what I said. She escaped, Hili. Unless someone kidnapped her and covered it up by making it look like a breakout.”

“That'd not be unheard of.”

“Yes, but either way, it's a dead end. She could literally be anywhere, on the run herself, or with a whole trail of people following her, or holding her captive – any of that. I can't assume any of them, and there's pretty much no trail to follow.”

“Now you're just being silly. There's always a trail to follow. Always.” Hili's snout curled upwards. “Now, she's gotta either be somewhere in the city, or outbound in some kind of – hang on. Mobile.” Hili's head tilted upwards, as she began talking to the ether. “What's it? Yeah, of course, go on...” She tapped one of her hind legs a couple times, then stopped short. “Oh. Oh, nuts...” She breathed in and out. Then, urgently, “Yeah, we'll come quick as we can.”

“What's wrong?” Peri asked without preamble.

“Well, I guess whoever broke her out didn't do it with the permission of the Orahi authorities. They're stopping all trains coming out of the city.”

“Wait, what? They think someone would try and sneak her out on a train?” Peri found the idea ridiculous, using a public train for a vital prisoner, and said so.

Hili bobbed her tail in a Fehan shrug. “You'd be surprised. It's not that hard, really. Fake ID, a few bribes... Suddenly she's on a train with a few hundred other Fehan who have never seen a scientist, let alone know them on sight. Or in a cargo compartment.” She looked up at the sky. “The train system would be a good bet, actually, if you misjudged how badly the Orahi want Marikihi to stay here.”

“Did they catch her?”

“No, but one of the trains blew up.”

“What!?” Peri shouted. “Why didn't you say that first thing? Where? How? Please tell me you have more information than that.”

“Well, the people coming to search the train also blew up. Which seems to me to be a pretty obvious clue.”

“You think she's on that train.”

“Was, hopefully. Was on that train. Otherwise you got yourself a charred corpse to bring to Oerra.”

Peri lurched to her toes. “What are we waiting for, then? We need to get to the explosion sight, now! She might still be on there.”

“Already on it, got a speeder on its way to pick us up, should be able to take us there in under ten minutes. With a lot of luck, we should be able to get there before the military does.”

“Let's hope our luck finally starts flowing, then,” Peri said, scanning the sky for the craft. She spotted it only as it was almost on top of them, hovering gently over the ground, its hatch already open. “Come on!” The two of them lightly hopped onto the craft.

It was a high-end speeder, almost as good as the military ones that Peri had gotten used to on campaign. It didn't even shudder as it lifted off the ground, nor as it shot forward; it just sort of thrummed with the deep vibration of an engine. They skipped over the countryside northwest of the city, following a rail line that extended deep into the orchards that surrounded Orahi proper, cutting away from the river and into a series of low, rolling hills.

But really, Peri spared no thought for the terrain that passed below her. It could have been the most gorgeous view she'd ever seen and she wouldn't even notice it. Indeed, she could think only one, single, despairing thought – if Marikihi had died because some idiots thought she was better dead than alive in the hands of their enemies, then Oerra would probably have her impaled. Then again, Oerra didn't like dramatics.

She'd probably just shoot Peri.

In the distance, a pillar of smoke rose on the horizon, glistening black against the pale blue of the Helan sky.

“Yeah, that's gotta be it,” Hili said confidently. Nervous – not at all because of the work they were doing, but at the looming prospect of failure, Peri drank deeply from a canteen. The water ran down the hairs of her snout. She had a bad feeling about this.

The speeder slowed and began to descend. No other aircraft were in sight; just the mangled mess of a series of railway cars in front of them, some still hanging off the monorail by one end, looking like absurd little ornaments, some crunched against the ground, some stood up on end, some laying on one side like a wounded animal, some strewn about the ground in pieces. As they approached, they could see the specks of Fehan bodies lying around the wreckage.

“Please be alive, please be alive, please be alive.”

“You're a confident one,” Hili said, sardonically.

Peri hadn't realized she was speaking aloud, but she recovered quickly. “Buzz off, Hili. If you had to report to Oerra, you'd be just as panicky.”

“Fair point.” The speeder touched down, as if to punctuate her sentence. The two of them immediately made to wrench open the hatch before their pilot stopped them.

“You've got no idea if whoever blew up the train are out there, alive, and pointing guns at us,” she pointed out.

“Also a fair point,” Hili said, and affixed a gun to her snout. Peri followed suit. “Better now?”

“Not really. Keep low, at least,” the pilot said.

“Your concern is touching,” Hili said sarcastically, but she kept low nonetheless as she slipped out the door towards the crash site. Peri quickly followed suit.

The smell of burning rubber permeated everything, even the grass they crawled through. Both of them trod carefully; bits of metal sharp enough to cut clean through a paw were littered about in every direction. They came across the first few bodies almost immediately, badly burned, their hair matted and melted against blistered skin that cracked wetly. They looked like civilians who had been caught in the blast and crawled away from the crash site.

“We need to hurry. If the military gets here before we leave...”

“Yeah.”

They slunk carefully through more grass, trying their best not to rustle it. Peri pushed aside a thicket and found herself next to the train – or rather, the fractured pieces of the train. She started to poke through the debris, taking less caution now: partly out of haste, but mostly out of curiosity. “Yep,” she said to herself, examining the pattern on the skins of the cars, “looks like it was an internal explosion. Someone rigged this thing to blow.”

“Hmm?” Hili said, overhearing her. “Not a missile? How can you tell?”

“You're an informant, I'm a military investigator,” Peri said mysteriously. “Can your speeder detect whether anything's alive around here?”

“Yeah, cause life definitely glows with a special type of energy that conveniently can be detected through a whole lot of interference.” Hili began to poke through a car herself. “No, it's still too hot from the explosion to see anything.”

“Nuts. Well, no one seems to be shooting at us, so...” Peri glanced around, and then hopped on top of a fairly solid-looking car and looked about the crash site. There was no movement, and the only sound was the crackling of a fire from one of the further cars. She located the bigger piles of bodies and moved towards them, abandoning all pretense of subtlety. A couple of Fehan wore uniforms, but they were so badly charred that any identifying marks were now illegible. Worst of all, if there was any sign of Marikihi, they couldn't find it.

“Peri!” Hili's voice was urgent.

“What?”

“If we can't find anything, we need to get out. Now.”

Peri exhaled discordantly and whistled affirmatively. “Let's go.”

“Took you two long enough,” the pilot hissed. “Orahi military craft inbound. Half a minute out.” The speeder lifted off and began to accelerate.

“Can we get outta here undetected?”

“Probably, but if you had been even a few seconds slower...” The pilot shrugged, and then punched a couple of controls, not bothering to see if the two of them had strapped in or not.

The outside world began to move dizzyingly fast. Even Peri, who was no slouch as a pilot herself, was rather impressed by how competently the pilot handled the speeder, hugging the ground so closely that she could see individual leaves on the trees.

“Okay, I think we're safe.”

“I hope so.”

A couple minutes passed, their speeder circling around and beginning to head back towards Orahi to drop them off again. Peri shifted uncomfortably in her harness. Something wasn't right.

“Hili,” she said suddenly.

“What's wrong?”

“How come they just let us fly to the crash?”

“What do you mean?” Hili twisted to look at her, curious.

“Well, they're stopping all traffic from getting out of the city, yeah? They'd notice us flying away, yeah?”

“We got a military code. Friend hooked it up a while ago. Those Orahi wouldn't have had the authority to stop us running off to wherever... wherever... Oh.” Her eyes widened. “Ohhhhhh. So what if – ”

“ – What if she or her abductors had a ship that had a code itself.”

“But the train, if she wasn't on there...”

“She wasn't.” Suddenly Peri was quite sure. “She wasn't on the train at all. They set it up to explode so everyone would react to it, rather than a little speeder, taking off in some other direction. It was a distraction. Crap, we're complete idiots. How didn't we realize that? How didn't they realize that? She could be anywhere. Again.”

“Hey now. There are thousands of satellites around this planet. A few must've been watching.” Hili's nose touched hers, comfortingly, if also a little amusedly. “It's still not a lost cause, don't worry.”

Peri worried.

Previous Story in Arc
Next Story in Arc

OOC: The plot thickens!

Excerpts from the Lab Notes of Nahka Rashtala

Day 1: Subject has been transferred into nutrient solution. Lifesigns and movement are apparent. Subject displays an unchanged body plan from previous images, appears to be only slightly divergent from a pentaradially symmetric form with five primary arms and clusters of secondary arms supporting webbing between the tips of their longer counterparts. No visible cephalisation.

Day 2: No visible changes in subject. Minor movements and twitches of the embryo continue.

Day 12: Still no changes in size, appearance or behaviour. I begin to grow concerned about the... subject's well-being. The biology of the abominations, it seems, remains very opaque to us.

Day 18: Subject remains unchanged, although still gives off signs of life. Conferred with fellow researchers. It seems that the cell tissue experiments have shed some light on the reasons for the ******ation of subject's physical growth. It has been agreed that the surrogate solution shall be raised by four degrees,the temperature at which isolated Zan cell growth is optimized.

As a side note, although this is outside the realms of my own experimentation, one of my Ullau Colleagues conferred to me during a brief break that neither the cultured cells nor the embryonic organism seemed to apply any sort of inexplicable force, telekinetic or otherwise, upon their environments. Indeed, they behave much as any other cells would, with no particularly bizarre features beyond the very high presence of silicon within their composition, and the previously-noted extreme polyploidy displayed by all Zan cells. We could write volumes upon this bizarre system of genetics, but sadly I doubt that I shall have the time for that just now. At any rate, it seems to be growing increasingly unlikely that the Zan have any sort of innate psychic abilities with which they would control their forces from afar. I imagine the technologists trying to unravel Shamai's control scheme will be interested to hear this. Myself, I'm simply relieved to learn that the little embryo isn't turning me into its brainwashed slave- I have been quite paranoid around the specimen as of late.

Day 19: Success? Perhaps. Thermal imaging shows the embryo generating more heat than before, a likely sign of some sort of increased cellular activity. Measurements fail to reveal any other significant changes. Slight changes for the nutrient balance have been planned should the temperature alteration prove insufficient to promote growth in the subject. This proposed environment is very much thanks to the tireless work of my Nitha comrade, Cha Reechee Onee, whose understanding of xenobiochemistry is as astounding as it seems to be instinctive. Are the rumours of Qii mucking about more with Nitha genetics true?

Day 22: After several days of increased activity, the embryo has begun to grow measurably. Qii'te'li Usha'ali'li and his group reported with what might have even been excitement that they had managed to influence one of the Zan cell cultures to grow into what might have been a specialized tissue- unfortunately, the differentiated cells died shortly after their formation, and we remain very much in the dark in the study of Zan histology. What little we know seems to indicate that proteins and a very complex system of prion-like molecules seem to play a very significant role in both differentiation, and apparently also in recording and modifying the Zan's own genetic code.

Reality check. Point the point. I am dealing with the flesh of what seems to be a clone of the most evil thing to ever smear the face of the universe. Deeply, deeply disturbing. Subject has never looked more incongruously innocent.

Day 23: Altered the nutrient balance in the surrogate solution, by Cha's recommendations. The Zan embryo is growing quickly now, but its motions seem to have halted somewhat. In terms of appearance, the subject is looking less and less pentaradial and more bilateral. Tiny spots, which I suspect are sensory, seem to be forming in a cluster around the 'flattened' area at the end of the subject's 'torso'. Scans reveal some highly complex structures, perhaps nervous, forming in this region, which is what led to my earlier hypothesis.

Day 30: Very busy. Zan embryo is growing rapidly, we seem to have found the ideal environment for its development. Constantly rebalancing the nutrient solution due to high mineral uptake by the subject. Current size from 'wingtip' to 'wingtip' is approximately 10 centimetres, and from 'head' to 'tail' is approximately 7. The previously observed secondary tentacles and membrane between these major tentacles seems to have halted their growth, remaining the same size while growing proportionally smaller than the rest of the body.

Day 32: I suspect that apoptosis is at play in the 'wing' membranes, but I do not know for certain. A 'trunk' like structure has been observed everting itself out of the center of the sensory cluster, is this the head-equivalent of a Zan? If so, then pardon my levity, but that is ******* hilarious. That would be the tiniest, skinniest, and most bizarre looking cephalus that I have ever laid eyes on. It almost makes the whole 'cosmic monstrosity' thing seem a little easier to bear.

Top Bottom