Game crashes at victory points screen

emilymorse

Chieftain
I have only played the Mesopatamia conquest and I have beaten it a few times. The only problem is, the game crashes when I click the "X" to continue past the victory points screen. It brings up the classic "Civilization has encountered an error and must close. We are sorry for the inconvience." I got patch 1.22 and tried it again, but the same thing happened. If it matters at all, I have only played this conquest as the Egyptians. Anyone find a solution to this problem? Does this happen with other conquests? Because I don't want to spend hte time playing it if it won't register my victory. Thanks
Emily

Hmmm...Look in the Civilization editor and in the text files, and consult the help guide. That's all I can say. BTW Welcome!

I have only played the Mesopatamia conquest and I have beaten it a few times. The only problem is, the game crashes when I click the "X" to continue past the victory points screen. It brings up the classic "Civilization has encountered an error and must close. We are sorry for the inconvience." I got patch 1.22 and tried it again, but the same thing happened. If it matters at all, I have only played this conquest as the Egyptians. Anyone find a solution to this problem? Does this happen with other conquests? Because I don't want to spend hte time playing it if it won't register my victory. Thanks
Emily

I have same problem. I got same patch and it comes on Mesopotamia scenario too. :mad:

Sorry but what do you mean with this: "is not read only"?
:)

In your drive directory under Civ Conquests is a file named "Campaign Record". If you right-click on it and choose "properties" from the menu, you get this. Notice at the bottom of the pop-up box there are little boxes which can be marked for "read only" and "hidden"...you don't want either of those checked. :)

im having exactly this problem but im wondering how do i find the drive directory on my pc to change it i cant find it anywhere

Try right clicking the desktop icon for Conquests and choosing properties. There will be an option to go to target location or similar wording. That will open windows explorer in the correct location. Pay attention to the path so you can find it again without using this method.

I completed the "Fall of Rome Campaign" but when I went into the Hall of Fame Records, it shows that I am not yet victorious! Why is this so? Is it because that I started from the Civ-Content option and NOT from the Hall of Fame (or Campaign) records? I own Civilization 3 Complete version. Or is it because, I failed to save my game in the correct folder? I tend to overwrite ALL of my saved games!

Please help! I currently lost the saved game cos I overwrite the old game by starting a new game altogether but this time, through the Hall of Fame records.
Also, my other two campaigns which I have completed shows my records. But for this particular campaign, I remember starting FROM the Civ-Content option and NOT the Hall of Fame option where there is a button that allows you to click next! Could this be the problem here???? If so, an experienced member of this forum should point this out explicitly (maybe can put in Sticky) to other users who own the Civ 3 Complete version NOT to start from the Civ-Content IF they want to preserve their records! Also I wish to point out that when I click on the Victory screen, the game DOES NOT crash (a problem that I experienced earlier) cos I unclicked on the Read Only option by following the above mentioned instructions.

Please warn the others about this problem if one starts from the Civ-Content option (thus making their games random!)!

Thanks!

I completed the "Fall of Rome Campaign" but when I went into the Hall of Fame Records, it shows that I am not yet victorious! Why is this so? Is it because that I started from the Civ-Content option and NOT from the Hall of Fame (or Campaign) records? I own Civilization 3 Complete version. Or is it because, I failed to save my game in the correct folder? I tend to overwrite ALL of my saved games!

Please help! I currently lost the saved game cos I overwrite the old game by starting a new game altogether but this time, through the Hall of Fame records.
Also, my other two campaigns which I have completed shows my records. But for this particular campaign, I remember starting FROM the Civ-Content option and NOT the Hall of Fame option where there is a button that allows you to click next! Could this be the problem here???? If so, an experienced member of this forum should point this out explicitly (maybe can put in Sticky) to other users who own the Civ 3 Complete version NOT to start from the Civ-Content IF they want to preserve their records! Also I wish to point out that when I click on the Victory screen, the game DOES NOT crash (a problem that I experienced earlier) cos I unclicked on the Read Only option by following the above mentioned instructions.

Please warn the others about this problem if one starts from the Civ-Content option (thus making their games random!)!

Thanks!

Well, just to let you guys know, I have solved the problem. The reason why my score was NOT in the Hall of Fame is because I started the scenario from the Civ-Content option (where you are allowed to skip scenarios)! If one was to start from the Hall of Fame Scenario, there will be an option to click on the next scenario button.

Lastly, I already knew about the Read-Only "trick" so that was not the issue.

I own Civilization 3 Complete. I think I should also post this solution to the Bugs forum so that other members of this forum can know how to solve this "problem"

Please note that this ONLY applies to users who own the Civilization 3 Complete Version. So, if one likes to see his score on the Hall of Fame for Scenario games such as the "Rise of Rome", etc, he/she should start from the Hall of Fame option (of course with the Read Only button left unchecked) and one will be able to see his/her past scores.

I think this solution should be made sticky for the benefit of those having the Civ 3 Complete version.

Cheers!

:):):)

Well, just to let you guys know, I have solved the problem.

Sorry to bump this slightly but I just wanted to check if this is now definitely known to be the problem. I have had the same problem playing scenarios from the civ content screen in civilisation complete so just wanted to make sure. I too had unchecked "read only" (but not "hidden" - does that make a difference?!).

If it is the case that you must start from the hall of fame screen it is a bit disappointing as I have just won the Rise of Rome scenario but it is not recorded in my HoF. I don't think I will replay just to get in the HoF as it was an epic game. I spent around 90 hours on it! Admittedly some of that was just leaving it running while away from the computer but it was still an incredibly time consuming scenario (I have read elsewehere on CFC that it is the longest scenario to play).

Anyway if someone could confirm that you must start from the HoF screen to get your victory recorded it would be tremendously appreciated (and also point out anything else I should be aware of re: known HoF entry problems).

Thanks.

Just a thought... make sure that ...\conquests\campaignrecord.hof is not read only. I seem to remember something like this.

Bingo!

Thank you very much. I was just about to start a new thread about this one. Default install on WinXP flagged this file as read-only, for some reason.

I've just had this very same problem with the Mesopotamia scenario; however, I have Vista installed and the Properties window looks different than the screenshot above. What do I need to look for in my case?

I've just had this very same problem with the Mesopotamia scenario; however, I have Vista installed and the Properties window looks different than the screenshot above. What do I need to look for in my case?

The properties screen should look almost the same. Follow the directions above and you will be all set. You need to make sure the file isn't read only.

Top Bottom