Game Enjoyment / Efficiency

ruff_hi

Live 4ever! Or die trying
Team RB, with the aim of increasing participants' enjoyment, the efficiency of this game, improving interest and getting more than 9 turns per month, would like to propose the following:

a. During wartime only, the timer is shortened to 36 real-time hours. This takes effect on the first turn after that war has been declared.

b. The game host gets permanent delegation to implement this change, and to switch back to the regular timer of 48 real-time hours on the turn after the war has ended.

c. The declaring team must notify the game host immediately upon opening war. The team that has the first half of the war turn order must notify the game host upon peace.

d. The game host gets permanent delegation to adjust the Pitboss turn timer so that the goal of 48 real-time hours can be best met, ie so that turns rolls at roughly the same time every day.

These changes are mainly motivated by the mod's approach to splitting the turn timer. Team RB was under the (mistaken) belief that the turn timer would be shared (ie half each) by the waring teams instead of what has actually happened (each team gets a full turn timer) that, effectively doubles the turn timer (in the most extreme case) during war.

Further, we would also like to suggest the following clarification to rule 5g ...

Game Reloads - All game reloads will trigger an automatic game pause (game admin will post such in game pause thread) for a minimum maximum of 24 hours or until each team that logged in to the game after the reload point has not yet finished their turn has stated in the game pause thread that they are ready to continue. A team may log in, unpause, and finish turn, but must then pause again under this rule.
Edit: Fixed strike-out / underlying as per post #2

The first change makes sure that we have an upper limit for those pauses. The second is aimed at clarifying which teams need to indicate that they are ready to continue. A team that has finished its turn as per the reloaded save has already indicated that it is ready for the next turn and doesn't need to provide that notification again. It also opens up the simple way of giving notice by simply unpausing, finishing turn, and then pausing again.

Results
Code:
                 Timer   Reloads
Apolyton          YES      YES
Civfanatics       YES      YES
Civforum.de      Maybe      No
CivFR             YES      YES
CivPlayers        YES      YES
Realms Beyond     YES      YES
Spanish Apolyton  YES      YES
UniversCiv        YES      YES
WePlayCiv         YES      YES

A quick clarification, since the underlines and strikes showing the changes to the game reload rule weren't included in Ruff's post:

Game Reloads - All game reloads will trigger an automatic game pause (game admin will post such in game pause thread) for a minimum maximum of 24 hours or until each team that logged in to the game after the reload point has not yet finished their turn has stated in the game pause thread that they are ready to continue. A team may log in, unpause, and finish turn, but must then pause again under this rule.

If everyone joined us in eliminating the civforum.de (ie Incan) team, we could really speed up this game. :)

A quick clarification, since the underlines and strikes showing the changes to the game reload rule weren't included in Ruff's post
Thanks kjn for picking that up. I have edited the opening post. That is what happens when you blindly cut and paste without checking.

Team CFC agrees to the proposed new rule and the 5g rule modification. However we do understand that this is changing rules mid-game and I had seen nowhere procedure described in the rules about that.

And I would like to express my personal gratefulness to Team WPC for playing their turn as quick as they do after the new turn starts which basically leaves the overall timer as close to the intended 48 hours per turn as possible. Sportsmanship at its best. :hatsoff:

The game has a procedure in place for rules changed, namely 5f Game rules:

Rules (with the exception of 05e) can only be changed by unanimous decision of all remaining teams in the game (1 vote per team) or by admin ruling.

So r_rolo1 can either unilaterally adopt these rules, or all the teams must agree to the rule change.

We at Realms Beyond would also like to clarify that our proposal is set to solve a conflict between the mod used and the old rules as written, in that the old set of rules made assumptions that the mod made false. Ie, these rule changes are to fix an acute out-of-game problem.

spanish team agrees with this changes. :b: and will be glad to eliminate Incan if knows where they are...

Current results of the suggestions. This summary has also been added to the first post.

Results
Code:
                 Timer   Reloads
Apolyton           ?        ?
Civforum.de        ?        ?
CivPlayers         ?        ?
UniversCiv         ?        ?
WePlayCiv          ?        ?

WPC is yes to both.

And thanks for your comments Sommers! :)

However, having our site issues meant that it was difficult to consult with folks, so I just played with minimal input. Things are pretty stable now at WPC :thumbsup: , but I suspect we will continue to play quickly.

Yes, this is a demo game, but slow play can mean death to any civ game.

That makes 7/9 with no comments from the other two. Rolo1 - where are you? Can we get your input on this too please?

Oops. Sorry 2metra. Besides, I thought you were the same person anyway, just a split personality.

See the top post for the proposal ... but here are the current votes ...
Results
Code:
                 Timer   Reloads
Apolyton          YES      YES
Civforum.de        ?        ?
CivPlayers        YES      YES
UniversCiv         ?        ?
WePlayCiv         YES      YES

Can we please hear from UniversCiv and Civforum.de. Does anyone know of an email address that I can ping them at.

Can we please hear from UniversCiv and Civforum.de. Does anyone know of an email address that I can ping them at.

Here's civforum.de...

gwt.contact (bat without the b) gmail (spot without the sp but add a d) com

Top Bottom