Game Features/Functions

Sounds good, although I'm a bit iffy on SETI. The only reason I'd add it is that it was a wonder in the original game.

A tad iffy as well for me too, but it was a wonder previously, and admittedly my inner Sagan fanboy won't let me not suggest it.

Agreed. I want this mod to strike a great balance between fun and historic/realistic/serious. So SETI is right at that point that I could go either way, the problem is I think having the alien units helping is a bit too much, so I am leaning towards NOT including it. CERN was added as a modern/future science wonder also, right now I'd say no to adding SETI. Although, as usual, I can be convinced...

What, alien units? :huh:
Wasn't the SETI about giving a simple beaker or science boost or something like this?

What, alien units? :huh:
Wasn't the SETI about giving a simple beaker or science boost or something like this?

I think the SETI in platyping's mod has a series of random events (with different liklihoods) where one of them is that aliens help you during wartime, that is when the alien units show up. Not sure if creates a dummy civ (so the AI controls them) or if they are gifted to you, but that was what I was referring to.

Alright, well so far I just wanted to mention that I appear to have issues with the Inquisitors right now. Which really, really, really sucks. What I am going to do at this point is get some of the art done (the Dutch units were a total bust, and I need to get them fixed), as far as game functions they will have to wait until next playtest.

In the meantime, however I did see a lot of things that I want added to the mod, the only problem is that I might not be able to do it all. There are issues with the Source-Code and all that , and I'm really worried that Thomas SG has screwed me over on this.

Anyway, I have been checking out some new modcomps and some seem like they would be really good additions to the mod. For instance there is THIS ONE by The_J which allows you to choose the civ of the colonies you grant independence to. There is also SUPER FORTS, which I have always wanted to add but I didn't want to overload the mod, and this seems to be kinda irrelevant. Then there was stuff like adding a marsh terrain, adding new resources, and things like that but I don't know if I want the mod to be too big or not, so for now focus on the choose colony mod. And I also want to start working on some projects. Platying has some good ones that I think would work in my mod, like Woman's Suffrage (which I almost want to make as a prerequisite for using the Universal Suffrage civic).

Anyway, I have been checking out some new modcomps and some seem like they would be really good additions to the mod. For instance there is THIS ONE by The_J which allows you to choose the civ of the colonies you grant independence to. There is also SUPER FORTS, which I have always wanted to add but I didn't want to overload the mod, and this seems to be kinda irrelevant. Then there was stuff like adding a marsh terrain, adding new resources, and things like that but I don't know if I want the mod to be too big or not, so for now focus on the choose colony mod. And I also want to start working on some projects. Platying has some good ones that I think would work in my mod, like Woman's Suffrage (which I almost want to make as a prerequisite for using the Universal Suffrage civic).

Both modcomps look great, I'm in favor of adding both
They are small additions, so won't overload the mod

I love The J's modcomp, Superfort... I'll support as long as the AI is as good at using it as stated in the second post.

Alright, then its done. I am going to finish Arpad, take care of some other RL things tonight, then I'll get back and do the final missionary/inquisitor update, add Englands new ancient art and change the French ancient set to the same as the Franks' and that will be the playtest. :goodjob:

After that I'll add the last of the game features/functions.

I'm also going to add THIS because I agree with the creator of the modcomp. :goodjob:

I like that too!
Besides the small thing that GGs give another 20 XPs when they are getting attached to another unit in the stack
This seems very easily exploitable to me
I would rather change that to a minimal amount of XP (2-3, or max 5), or comment out the entire line - as the modcomp's creator suggested

I bought Civ5 awhile back because it was on sale, and I ended up getting it and the DLC for about $13, played it for a good while, less out of fun and more to just, well, analyze it.

I've come to feel that it's indeed best to, if anything, just bring in the few additions Civ5 has that are worthwhile into Civ4. It's easier, and less work has to be done as, in one case, you're merely improving an already good game, whereas in the other you're trying desperately to fix someone else's mess.

Just thought I'd toss these out there, looking into the coding myself a bit on these, but thought I'd see if Capo thought any of these sounded alright:

1. Mausoleum of Halicarnassus: Gives 100 gold per great person born.
I think this is an interesting wonder that wouldn't be too hard to balance (in this case it should give more gold in order to be a bit more worthwhile).

2. In Civ5, the Great Pyramids gives you two workers. I'm not suggesting we change the Great Pyramids and remove the civics feature, but I like the idea of a wonder that gives you a few workers or a couple of settlers. A wonder for REXers and early-game explorers.

3. Civ-specific tile improvements. This is the big thing I'm looking into. I don't have many positive things to say about Civ5's civs, but I loved this. Basically, the Incans have an additional type of farm they can build on hills that provides extra food based on how many mountains are within the area.

Though I'm not exactly suggesting we change the Incan UB (though I'm all for changes to the Incan civ, as I feel they're a bit overpowered even in Vanilla Civ4), if it turns out this can be done easily enough in Civ4, it'd be a neat way to both cut down on overlapping UBs (so less civs use the same replacement building) and add a bit more uniqueness to the playstyle a civ requires.

Beyond that, can't say anything else I'd ever want to see added, beyond Civ-specific bonuses ontop of what we have now, though I know Capo would most likely be against that as it would be pretty game changing.

Bump! I am bumping things because some threads are disappearing and I'd like to continue the project as soon as I possibly can.

I saw there was a minor civilization/city-states modcomp in development. What do you guys think about adding this to the mod?

I'm indifferent, I guess. Never tried the modcomp, but I really hated city-states in Civ5, though that was mainly because of how awful their diplomacy system was, making it way too easy to control all citystates by just dumping money on them and gifting them cheap, cheap units.

Could be neat to see it alongside Civ4's diplomacy system, though. But still, up to you, if it seems like it'd be hard to implement. If the City-States behave anything like leaders do, could try my hand at helping to add some to make up for ones covered by civs we already have.

Well, they are still working on it themselves, so I wouldn't use it until it was completely ready to go. I am not interested in anymore coding, believe me. :crazyeye:

I'd be up for it, since I enjoy City-States in CV. Of course, that's mostly because I play as Austria and buy CSs left and right.

Are there any plans to modify air strikes? I think it would make sense for air units able to take out naval units at the very least by air strike, since that's what they've done historically. Heck, that's what made the battleship irrelevant in naval warfare. Of course, one can always overload on guided missiles like the game's currently done.

At this point I am doing some graphical tweaking, then I'm going to rerelease the playtest that TAdF posted and from there we will decide on a few things. I am in desperate need of a coding guy because we have a few glaring issues with the mod that need to be fixed before any new features are added, unfortunately.

EDIT: Hopefully I can get the Armenian module done today and start getting some of those issues resolved.

I need help!!!

So I'm playing as Hugary everything is going well and I found Druidism. A few problems; the first issue is that the missionary available is not the Druidic one, it says "Taoist Missionary" but then has the button for the Taoist Inquisitor. Also the Inquisitors do not remove religions or anything. So basically everything is screwed up. Argh!

I need help...

Top Bottom