Gauging Event Modmod Interest

Interest?

• Total voters

Enginseer

Salientia of the Community Patch
Supporter
I want to determine interest in Event modmods (if any).

Mercenary Unit Events
These events add UU from civilization that was not counted in the existing save. For example, if the Inca civilization is not active in your current game, this event becomes available to be randomly selected. Allowing you to spawn 1-3 unique units of this civilization once in a game if possible. If another civilization has recruited them, then no other civilization can attempt to recruit them again (also known as a global oneshot). This does not respect if the militaristic city-states can spawn them.

Recruit Waraq'ak (Inca)
- Requires a city with 4+ population and a mountain within its cultural radius.
- Requires Trapping researched, with it obsoleting at Currency.
- 1. May spend gold to recruit 3 Waraq'aks. (Does not have to be gold)
- 2. Option to say no, for a small temporary buff may appear instead but does not contribute toward the "global one-shot"

Mercenary Workers Events
These events grant the ability to recruit workers that can expend themselves on an UI from a civilization that was not added in the existing save. For example, if the Inca civilization is not active in your current game, this event becomes available to be randomly selected. Allowing you to spawn 1-5 workers that can instantly build unique improvements sacrificing themselves. If another civilization has recruited them, then no other civilization can attempt to recruit them again (also known as a global oneshot).
Terrace Farmers (Inca)
- Requires a number of farms + mountains
- Requires Masonry.
- 1. May spend a few sums of gold to recruit Terrace Farmers.
- 2. Option to say no, for a small temporary buff may appear instead but does not contribute toward the "global one-shot" (?)

National Wonder Events
These events will fire from national wonders. They will fire at the City Event level, but share a "city cooldown" encouraging National Wonders to not be stacked in the Capital or in the same city. For example, the Heroic Epic and the National Epic are shown here.

Heroic Epic Event
Let me tell you about...
- 1. One of the greatest warriors (+Instant Great General Point)
- 2. One of the greatest seafarers (+Instant Great Admiral Point, requires coastal city)
- 3. Sacrifice (Two random military units spawn for free)

National Epic Event
Let me tell you a story about...

- 1. the comedy and tragedy of life (+Instant Great Writer Point, require Writer's Guild)
- 2. depicting life (+Instant Great Artist Point, require Artist's Guild)
- 3. expressing ourselves (+Instant Great Musician point, require Musician's Guild)
- 4. our past (+Instant Tourism)

Early Inspiration Events
These City Events will give the opportunity to create a building from the future eras. For example, the Castle is shown here. If another civilization has used them, then no other civilization can attempt to get them again (also known as a global oneshot).

A City Fortress (Castle)
- Requires a fort built in the city's radius.
- Must not be in the Medieval Era or later.
- Must be at war
- 1. Spend gold and production/turn on having a fortified base within the city's grounds (A Castle appears in the City and +Food/turn for 30 turns)
- 2. Ridicule the idea instead, it is unfeasible (does not contribute toward the "global one-shot")

Natural Wonder Events
Similar to the Natural Wonder's City Events from Community Events, they are not quest-based however, and act more of a temporary buff event. An example of King Solomon's Mine, El Dorado, and Lake Victoria is given.

El Dorado
- 1. Gain 500 gold.
- 2. Gain a copy of the Gold resource for 50 turns.
- 3. Advertise El Dorado, gaining tourism for a gold cost.

King Solomon's Mine
- 1. +2 Production/turn and +2 Gold/turn added to King Solomon's Mine tile for 50 turns.
- 2. Gain a copy of the Gem resource for 50 turns.
- 3. Sacrifice 1 population for a huge sum of Production and Gold.

Lake Victoria
- 1. +2 Food/turn and +1 Production/turn added to Lake Victoria's tile for 50 turns.
- 2. Gain a copy of the Fur resource for 50 turns.
- 3. -4 Food from Lake Victoria's tile in exchange for +Instant Food and +1 Food from all Farms for 50 turns.
More General Events
Just wanting more events, in general, to get rid of the boredom.
Chained Event Storyline
Events that are chained in a storyline let you make choices.
Please work on Community Patch Project and Vox Populi Events
On a separate note, I'm also interested to see if people want me to provide input on all of the current Events of the Community Patch and Vox Populi since those events seem to be not mentioned at all in the Vox Populi's World Congress... This will not affect any of the future decisions above.

Last edited:
The options requiring X building from National Wonder events are unlikely to ever be picked if X building is much later.

The options requiring X building from National Wonder events are unlikely to ever be picked if X building is much later.
The National Wonder events are luckily repeatable. Giving ample opportunities to use them at any case.
I really like the idea of the Mercenary events.
Thanks! I forgot to change the poll to allow multiple votes. Was confused why more events in general was picked. Just wanted to see what seemed to have more priority.

EDIT: Please anyone who voted to revote with the events you feel more likely to enjoy!

Last edited:
I like the idea of global-oneshot, but is there any way we can track if a global-oneshot is already picked elsewhere (like a separated screen) ? It would be frustrating trying to hit the requirement for one event not knowing it's already been picked.

Also is there any way to add chain events (an event with more choices that would happen x turn later if you picked a specific option now) ? That would be more interesting and strategic than randomly popped up events based purely on game progression (like the one with national wonder, as you will get it eventually because of progression but unreliable at the same time because of rng), as those already overlap way too much with CS quests (same nature, randomly popping up, and mostly based on current progression).
Having chain events would really separate the 2 systems (one is random based on progression and have immediate effect, one is semi random at first but follow some specific directions later for better risk/reward)

I like the idea of global-oneshot, but is there any way we can track if a global-oneshot is already picked elsewhere (like a separated screen) ? It would be frustrating trying to hit the requirement for one event not knowing it's already been picked.
When a global one-shot appears, you'll get a global notification (even if you haven't met the player). And of course, if you see the units and improvements then you know what already got taken.
Also is there any way to add chain events (an event with more choices that would happen x turn later if you picked a specific option now) ? That would be more interesting and strategic than randomly popped up events based purely on game progression (like the one with national wonder, as you will get it eventually because of progression but unreliable at the same time because of rng), as those already overlap way too much with CS quests (same nature, randomly popping up, and mostly based on current progression).
Having chain events would really separate the 2 systems (one is random based on progression and have immediate effect, one is semi random at first but follow some specific directions later for better risk/reward)
Yes, it's been possible for years but it ended up being painful to just design to make it interesting (or even balanceable for that matter). [Once developed a Morality mod where certain event choices change the morality of a civilization...]. Although if it's a popular idea, then maybe.

If you're wanting to do a total rework, I recommend using XML this time :thumbsup:

When a global one-shot appears, you'll get a global notification (even if you haven't met the player). And of course, if you see the units and improvements then you know what already got taken.
It would work if there're only a couple events, but if you plan to expand it (something like 2-3 events per 8 civ per era) then I think a separated screen would be a big QoL, making it easier to track which events are claimed and which are still available for that game if you're gonna list all available events so players can aim for a specific requirement instead of going blind (since each game would have different set of global oneshot based on which civs are in)
Yes, it's been possible for years but it ended up being painful to just design to make it interesting (or even balanceable for that matter). [Once developed a Morality mod where certain event choices change the morality of a civilization...]. Although if it's a popular idea, then maybe.
Personally when I play with event on I mainly do it for entertainment purpose (practically roleplay with specific rules), so it's better if we can have interesting/fun events without worrying about balance. You can simply break up your global oneshot events to consist of 2-3 chains each leading to the final reward of unique units/building/improvement,... which can already fill a huge chunk (if you're gonna make global oneshot for each civs not present in a game anyway).

For example the chain starter of a global oneshot in ancient era can be your troop rescue some citizen of a lost civ, choices can be to take the civilians in - invest resource, get citizen (1); take their warriors in - get unique units (2 - end) or steal from them/sell them to slavery - gain resource/ workers (3 - end for you but still allowing other civ to claim this event)
Next step from (1) would be choices to build them a separated community - gain permanent bonus in the city (1a - end) or incorporate them into your culture - invest resource, must have specific tech/policy (1b - this would be the direction I was talking about).
Next step from (1b) would be gaining 2-3 expendable workers who can build the unique improvement if you hit another specific requirement, or a unique building (weaker bonus than the improvements but better than the few unique units) if you failed.
Each step would have a specific amount of turns inbetween based on game speed. Can also scramble unit/building/improvement order based on how strong the bonus are. Can also change requirements to something similar to CS quest (conquering city, getting religion,...).
Repeat the same template for a bunch of different civ not currently in the game and separate them by eras and requirement for starter events and you already have a bunch of interesting things to look for each game.

Last edited:
All of these are good ideas except the natural wonder events, which would overbuff natural wonders and make snowballing much more dependent on map RNG than it ought (unless such events were made inconsequentially weak, which would make them useless anyways.) I'm not sure if oneshot events are a good idea because on higher difficulties AI's will only ever get them and it would be kind of pointless designing events just for the AI to enjoy them. A better solution may be to just limit how many events a given player/AI can take per era/turn count instead. I also think that all the events should be cataloged somewhere in the civiliopedia so that we don't have to come to the forum for a complete list.

Does that mean events work with the latest Vp version? Had a break because it was broken.

Does that mean events work with the latest Vp version? Had a break because it was broken.
Events always worked? Unless you mean E&D then no I'm not working on that.

What’s wrong with the event SQL? It’s easy to create.
This.

Spoiler :

Screenshot.png

You can’t read matrix??

Seriously thought to make all that I just used an SQL editor with all the columns from the database. and then exported the code. I forget which one but it was pretty intuitive.
Easy to make, less easy to debug or edit. :)

And wouldn't it be easier to specify default values and only change them as needed?

Not a big fan of the global one-shot idea generally, unless it only relates to one "best" option in the event. I think it would be fairer to allow for example Natural Wonder events to always proc, but maybe only one civ can advertise it.

Top Bottom