General chess.com talk

Well I'd never studied it before a couple days ago but figured, since I play 1. e4, I should probably give it at least a little time (and figured it would be fun to know a little as black since the consensus is that it sucks so it'd be fun to be able to win with it with black for surprise value :D).

Well I'd never studied it before a couple days ago but figured, since I play 1. e4, I should probably give it at least a little time (and figured it would be fun to know a little as black since the consensus is that it sucks so it'd be fun to be able to win with it with black for surprise value :D).

That feeling I can understand, like my Scandinavian inclinations.

One of the people that has taught me a great deal of chess was a Philidor player. He often used variants which looked odd, almost refutable at first sight (he often made a very early Qe7) but I had to take his word for it that it was not nearly as bad for Black as it looked to me.

I was never able to refute it: he had about 2300 FIDE rating, and was once even close to IM ranking. It's hard to refute something against a player who has about 500 points of rating on you. :D

On another note, my play's finally becoming better again. ;)

After a long weary weekend I've fallen into vacation time again, should be back in the right mind to make moves tomorrow (regardless I'll probably make them tomorrow :D).

Looks like one of our teammates, AnnaGirl, was banned. Next thing I'll find out she wasn't even really a girl. :ack:

I was not aware that people who study openings actually study the Philidor...
They do. At least if I am included in "they".
Philidor is actually an underestimated opening and blessed with being unfashionable.

Frankly I don't know about any such consensus.

One of the people that has taught me a great deal of chess was a Philidor player. He often used variants which looked odd, almost refutable at first sight (he often made a very early Qe7) but I had to take his word for it that it was not nearly as bad for Black as it looked to me.
The Belorussian GM Viktor Kupreichik used 1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 Qe7 with a certain degree of success.
I think one mistake many people do is that when they see an unorthodox opening they start looking for a refutation.But even if something looks a bit peculiar, it doesn't have to be bad.

Richard Cribb said:
Frankly I don't know about any such consensus.

I feel better when I see my opponent play the Philidor. I know it's not exactly bad, but it's not best either.

Richard Cribb said:
I think one mistake many people do is that when they see an unorthodox opening they start looking for a refutation.But even if something looks a bit peculiar, it doesn't have to be bad.

I agree, having been guilty of this long ago. Even now I have to remind myself that when your opponent makes an inferior move, you still need to find the best response in order to benefit from it.

Figured I'd post here that I added a thread to the group on Chess.com entitled "OT: Your life updates". I think it'll be good for keeping in contact with one another. :)

Allright folks, my lack of chess-activity due to exam pressure is over, so I'm looking to start a few games.

Anyone interested?

If you challenge me I won't refuse.

Can't remember off the top of my head, but my chess.com name is probably the same as my CFC name.
It is. I might want a challenge later, but for now, I'm happy with no games at the moment.

So I joined chess.com, I'm trying to get back into the swing of playing chess, should I join a group, or just wait until I won't drag down their score?

Thought I'd post a congratulations notice here to the winners of my tournament on Chess.com!
The winners are:
1st place: colinf (col here)
2nd place: DaveShack
3rd place: Narz

Congrats to all of them! I hope you enjoy your trophy!

So I joined chess.com, I'm trying to get back into the swing of playing chess, should I join a group, or just wait until I won't drag down their score?

You should definately join Narz's People, the local CFC group. What's your username? - I'll invite you.

My username is Piman3141. I played a handful of games over the last couple of days, and I like how the games can be kind of stretched out. With a schedule like mine, it's nice to have that option.

Top Bottom