• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

General Commentary and Suggestions

slithy

Chieftain
Ok, first of all let me say that this is already an extremely good mod, one which definitely improves upon an already great game. I really like the "feel" of the different civilizations, which makes playing each one almost a different game. The magic system is already quite good, and is powerful without dominating the game, and the religions are well differentiated so that choosing one is a decision with serious consequences for your strategy. As a whole, it conveys a distinct aura of quality crafting and thought which is very impressive.

I have played 10 or 11 games of 0.13 now, and after due deliberation I thought it would be appropriate to throw some ideas at the creators, as a kind of payment for the enjoyment I've already pulled out of this excellent creation. For the most part, these aren't criticisms but more in the vein of "I really like this idea but it would be even better if it *this* were added" type of suggestions.

First off, I really think that the "early game" feel should be stretched farther than it is now - the idea of capturing animals (and slaves for some civs) is an excellent one, but by the time you can really exploit hunter-type units, most of the wilderness seems to be gone. As the Balseraphs, I was reduced to summoning tigers to put into my cages, which was not nearly as much fun as going out and capturing them would have been... Further, while the barbarians have been given a larger and better role, and Orthus did manage to wipe me out once (ironically, the very first game I played, and there was a definite "wtf? Nooooooooooo!" factor as he mowed down my fragile cities with their one puny warrior defending each), it would, in my opinion, be even better if a good long portion of *every* game involved lots of barbarian/animal combat and subdual, rather than the generic Civ feel of "get those settlers out the door and expand!" To me, this would not only further differentiate the gameply from generic Civ, but is also much more flavorful from the standpoint of being a fantasy-themed game.

I think the best mechanic to delay the mid-game would be to require a tech *and* a building before one can build settlers - this being preferable to simply increasing their cost as it is a hard barrier, rather than a soft one (and I would assume that hard barriers are easier for the AI to understand, for one). Further, I would add greatly increase the cost of the default civics, so that it is difficult to expand past 2 or 3 cities unless you have made some progress into the tech tree. This would ensure that there would remain large tracts of wilderness for a long time, which in turn would make even the later hunter units, which currently are of little use (except as city defenders and raiders for civilizations who have made poor military tech decisions), both interesting and powerful.

What would make this fun is that you have important decisions to make right from the start - is it better to try to rush for the settler tech and see if you can get a lead on the competition, or should you try to make your first city into a science powerhouse and grab a military or religious tech advantage you can use to dominate your bigger but more backward neighbors, or make that city a production powerhouse and try to grow by conquering barbarian cities rather than settling your own, or should you try to hunt and trap your way into an "empire of the animals" and send your hordes of wolves to ravage your rivals' lands and feast upon the flesh of their citizens - it really opens up the early game.

Secondly, while I understand that the tech tree is split into many different areas for a reason, I find there is too much choice - once you start going down the tree, you almost always have at least a dozen different techs you *could* research, each of which leads to other techs which also sound intriguing, with the end effect being you spend a lot of time trying to figure out which of these techs or linked techs actually does something useful for your civilization (because there are more than a few which are more or less only indirectly useful for any particular civ), or else you just give up and go with the cheapest one that sounds cool. I haven't looked at the .14 tech tree design yet, but I'd prefer to see a flatter design that .13, or, which would be even cooler, something like the design they had in the old Civ3 Middle Ages scenario (and which is used to some extent as well already in this mod, I think) where different civilization groups had entirely different tech trees, due to the base tech being either non-researchable or fabulously expensive to civilizations that didn't start with it. It would be too much work to have unique trees for each civilization, but 4 or 5 groups might be possible, especially if part of the tech tree was shared and another, smaller part was not.

Thirdly, there are far too many military buildings that do nothing other than enable one particular unit or unit type - which is especially annoying when they show up through the majority of the game as a build choice for civilizations which can't even build that unit type anyway. If a building is useless to *any* civilization, almagamate its function with another building, for example, because I can't always build Monks, make any Temple + a Barracks the prerequisite for training Monks, and dump the Monastery. Further, buildings you keep after pruning the list, like (for example) the Archery Range should be National Wonders - build 6 Barracks and you can make one Range (except call it something like the Yew Academy), but make it add +4 or +6 XP to archery units instead of +2. That way, you can specialize your military cities even further, and sometimes you might have to make hard choices about what types of units are most important to you and deserve an Academy. (I'd also make it so you need at least one 10 XP unit of a particular type before you can build the National Wonder for its genre). So you'd have the Way of the Sword; the Yew Academy; the Siege School; the Hunting Preserve; the Horselord's Household; the High University of the Magi; the Admiralty; the Temple School; the Parade Ground (for gunpowder units); and the Guild of Assassins.

I'd like three levels of Barracks as well - Training Yard, Barracks, and then Military College, each adding +2 XP to all units, although at a high cost for the Barracks and an extremely high cost for the College. This would allow the player to specialize their units with all the cool promotions more easily, which adds both to the fun factor and the flexibility, while draining some production which has been freed up by the loss of the other building types. Then drop most (or all) of the automatic promotions some units get on creation, as they shouldn't need them anymore when built in the appropriate environment.

Fourthly, there are too many buildings in general, and (strangely) too few tech-enhancing buildings. (There really needs to be Universities, as otherwise Science Academies become far too powerful a tool for a GP farmer - if the tech costs need be adjusted upwards then so be it). Fewer but more expensive buildings means less time clicking thru build lists (and the same can be said for military units, come to think of it). One way to lessen the perceived number of buildings would be to make some of them inaccessible to different civilizations depending on their tech tree group as previously outlined - for example, Inns could be unavailable to civilizations based around the evil non-humans, as presumably the only travelling they do is to go off pillaging and destroying. Gambling Houses then might not be available to good civilizations, and by increasing both the production cost and the coin benefit of both Gambling Houses and Inns, the effects on commerce remain roughly the same for both groups while adding yet another area of flavourful distinctiveness between the groups.

Three levels of science buildings is a good way to go (as something to put all the freed up production into, for one), Libraries, Monasteries (reclaimed), and Universities, each adding +25 percent research. It would be nice if most of the buildings went along with this same rule of three - build a Herbalist, then Apothecary, then Infirmary; Town Well, Aqueduct, and then Sewers; Carnival, Theatre, then Hippodrome (stripped of its military use but adding culture and maybe a bit of money instead). By having pre-requisites for each type, it makes the build list shorter, forces the player to build some of the less immediately useful buildings to get to better ones, and is much more comprehensible to the casual or beginning player as well.

Lastly - and this is probably extremely premature, but nevertheless is important (and I am assuming something can be done about it, or this is moot) - the default CivilizationAI really sucks at warmongering, and in this mod where war is even more crucial to success, means it really sucks in general. Now, I don't claim to be any kind of expert on AI, but I generally see the problem as one of focus - the computer tries to do everything when it is fighting, and thus ends up doing nothing effectively. For example, it'll send one stupid horseman into your territory to tear up a Farm, but is 70 hammers or whatever it cost to build him ('cause you KNOW he's going to die to any competent player who keeps a reserve to deal with just this type of idiot) REALLY worth slightly inconveniencing a city which is unlikely to lose that Farm for the 35 turns it would take to equal in food what you've just lost in shields? Then, once it builds another "pillage" unit, it'll send that unit in to die again, and again, and again, and again... Either build a honking big stack or two and do the job properly, or don't bother doing it all. The same with attacking cities - sorry, your two Bloodpets and a Catapult are not going to beat my 7 Arquebuses, so why not just stay home and use them for defence? My understanding is that the AI builds units and then assigns them a pool for attack, defence, or pillage, but that is, quite simply, a bad idea. Units, as a rule, are useless, the AI should be thinking in terms of stacks, which are not only more useful, but, because there are obviously less stacks than there are units, make it less complex to think about what to do. What it should do is relatively simple - build STACKS of units, EVALUATE the situation, then ATTACK the enemy (attacking being in the general sense of exploiting his weaknesses and covering your own).

At a high level (which, of course, is easy for me to say), this shouldn't be all that complicated - if the AI has 400 points of units, then maybe a stack is evaluated as 10% of that number - 40 points. Have it decide to make one of several preprogrammed types of stack, which can be at random as long as the stack types are combined arms - example, 1 unit of 5 is siege, 2 of 5 are melee, 1 of 5 is arcane, 1 of 5 is bow/gunpowder. Pick a rally point, preferably one that is deep inside your own borders. Build the stack, adjusting build queues as necessary in your cities. If you have overflow units, start a second or even third stack. Once the stack is ready, look at the situation - do you need to attack, defend, or pillage? Are you losing cities - move the stack to a threatened city and defend! Is the enemy stronger than you, or are there dozens of defenders in his nearby cities - pillage! Is the enemy weak or overextended with only a few units defending a juicy target - attack! Every 5-10 turns (make it random particularly to make it harder to manipulate the AI ingame) have the stack reevaluate its mission, and also decide if it needs to "re-stack" and get reinforcements, whether by merging with another stack or retreating and rallying new troops to its location. In that way, the AI can react to situations as they arise - if it's cities are not being threatened, then it makes sense to counter-attack rather than wait for the enemy to restore its strength and return; if the enemy is in your heartland, pillaging time is over.

The key concept is exemplified by the famous Stalin quote "Quantity has a quality all its own". Any decent player can get kill ratios in the neighborhood of 3 or 4 to 1 over the AI in normal play, but if the AI resists the temptation to send inadequate forces anywhere at all and keeps its quantities up, it can try the old Soviet tactic of burying you with numbers alone. All it has to to is bring the kill ratio down just to 2 to 1; at higher difficulty levels where it can outproduce you by more than that ratio, you are going to lose in the long run, and even at lower levels if the human gets dogpiled, the AIs are going to come out on top. In general, the troops it loses running around on their own doing dumb-ass things like suicide pillaging, finishing off wounded or weak "bait" units, attacking fortified units on hills, and other individual acts of idiocy, are a large proportion of its losses, so forcing it to forgo these pleasures by fighting in stacks should give it a chance to be merely clueless instead of spectacularly incompetent.

I would also like to see animals stay around for longer - maybe as you say there should be a building required to build settlers.

There are a few issues with war and ai but I have had ai bring large stacks of units to destroy my cities before (I'm talking something like 20 bone catapults!!!).

slithy said:
Ok, first of all let me say that this is already an extremely good mod, one which definitely improves upon an already great game. I really like the "feel" of the different civilizations, which makes playing each one almost a different game. The magic system is already quite good, and is powerful without dominating the game, and the religions are well differentiated so that choosing one is a decision with serious consequences for your strategy. As a whole, it conveys a distinct aura of quality crafting and thought which is very impressive.

I have played 10 or 11 games of 0.13 now, and after due deliberation I thought it would be appropriate to throw some ideas at the creators, as a kind of payment for the enjoyment I've already pulled out of this excellent creation. For the most part, these aren't criticisms but more in the vein of "I really like this idea but it would be even better if it *this* were added" type of suggestions.

First off, I really think that the "early game" feel should be stretched farther than it is now - the idea of capturing animals (and slaves for some civs) is an excellent one, but by the time you can really exploit hunter-type units, most of the wilderness seems to be gone. As the Balseraphs, I was reduced to summoning tigers to put into my cages, which was not nearly as much fun as going out and capturing them would have been... Further, while the barbarians have been given a larger and better role, and Orthus did manage to wipe me out once (ironically, the very first game I played, and there was a definite "wtf? Nooooooooooo!" factor as he mowed down my fragile cities with their one puny warrior defending each), it would, in my opinion, be even better if a good long portion of *every* game involved lots of barbarian/animal combat and subdual, rather than the generic Civ feel of "get those settlers out the door and expand!" To me, this would not only further differentiate the gameply from generic Civ, but is also much more flavorful from the standpoint of being a fantasy-themed game.

I think you will enjoy the new Natures Revolt ritual in 0.14 that creates a bunch of new animals to hunt (if they dont kill you).

I think the best mechanic to delay the mid-game would be to require a tech *and* a building before one can build settlers - this being preferable to simply increasing their cost as it is a hard barrier, rather than a soft one (and I would assume that hard barriers are easier for the AI to understand, for one). Further, I would add greatly increase the cost of the default civics, so that it is difficult to expand past 2 or 3 cities unless you have made some progress into the tech tree. This would ensure that there would remain large tracts of wilderness for a long time, which in turn would make even the later hunter units, which currently are of little use (except as city defenders and raiders for civilizations who have made poor military tech decisions), both interesting and powerful.

Yeah, we talked about putting settlers behind a tech, I was worried about how the AI would handle that. I think at the very least I will increase the cost of settlers, but we may add the tech requirement too, as you suggest.

What would make this fun is that you have important decisions to make right from the start - is it better to try to rush for the settler tech and see if you can get a lead on the competition, or should you try to make your first city into a science powerhouse and grab a military or religious tech advantage you can use to dominate your bigger but more backward neighbors, or make that city a production powerhouse and try to grow by conquering barbarian cities rather than settling your own, or should you try to hunt and trap your way into an "empire of the animals" and send your hordes of wolves to ravage your rivals' lands and feast upon the flesh of their citizens - it really opens up the early game.

Secondly, while I understand that the tech tree is split into many different areas for a reason, I find there is too much choice - once you start going down the tree, you almost always have at least a dozen different techs you *could* research, each of which leads to other techs which also sound intriguing, with the end effect being you spend a lot of time trying to figure out which of these techs or linked techs actually does something useful for your civilization (because there are more than a few which are more or less only indirectly useful for any particular civ), or else you just give up and go with the cheapest one that sounds cool. I haven't looked at the .14 tech tree design yet, but I'd prefer to see a flatter design that .13, or, which would be even cooler, something like the design they had in the old Civ3 Middle Ages scenario (and which is used to some extent as well already in this mod, I think) where different civilization groups had entirely different tech trees, due to the base tech being either non-researchable or fabulously expensive to civilizations that didn't start with it. It would be too much work to have unique trees for each civilization, but 4 or 5 groups might be possible, especially if part of the tech tree was shared and another, smaller part was not.

Yeah I think you will find that it is better in 0.14 but it could still use improvement. There is more tech tree work to do, specific recommendations would be appreciated.

Thirdly, there are far too many military buildings that do nothing other than enable one particular unit or unit type - which is especially annoying when they show up through the majority of the game as a build choice for civilizations which can't even build that unit type anyway. If a building is useless to *any* civilization, almagamate its function with another building, for example, because I can't always build Monks, make any Temple + a Barracks the prerequisite for training Monks, and dump the Monastery. Further, buildings you keep after pruning the list, like (for example) the Archery Range should be National Wonders - build 6 Barracks and you can make one Range (except call it something like the Yew Academy), but make it add +4 or +6 XP to archery units instead of +2. That way, you can specialize your military cities even further, and sometimes you might have to make hard choices about what types of units are most important to you and deserve an Academy. (I'd also make it so you need at least one 10 XP unit of a particular type before you can build the National Wonder for its genre). So you'd have the Way of the Sword; the Yew Academy; the Siege School; the Hunting Preserve; the Horselord's Household; the High University of the Magi; the Admiralty; the Temple School; the Parade Ground (for gunpowder units); and the Guild of Assassins.

I'd like three levels of Barracks as well - Training Yard, Barracks, and then Military College, each adding +2 XP to all units, although at a high cost for the Barracks and an extremely high cost for the College. This would allow the player to specialize their units with all the cool promotions more easily, which adds both to the fun factor and the flexibility, while draining some production which has been freed up by the loss of the other building types. Then drop most (or all) of the automatic promotions some units get on creation, as they shouldn't need them anymore when built in the appropriate environment.

We try to block all buildings for a civ if they cant build the unit, if you find any examples in 0.14 let us know and we will egt it fixed.

In general I want less buildings, not more. Your idea for scaling buildings for different unit types may make an interesting idea for certain civs (the Svartalfar make get a series for their assassin/shadow line, the doviello may get a series for the melee units). But I wouldnt want to create this many for everyone.

Fourthly, there are too many buildings in general, and (strangely) too few tech-enhancing buildings. (There really needs to be Universities, as otherwise Science Academies become far too powerful a tool for a GP farmer - if the tech costs need be adjusted upwards then so be it). Fewer but more expensive buildings means less time clicking thru build lists (and the same can be said for military units, come to think of it). One way to lessen the perceived number of buildings would be to make some of them inaccessible to different civilizations depending on their tech tree group as previously outlined - for example, Inns could be unavailable to civilizations based around the evil non-humans, as presumably the only travelling they do is to go off pillaging and destroying. Gambling Houses then might not be available to good civilizations, and by increasing both the production cost and the coin benefit of both Gambling Houses and Inns, the effects on commerce remain roughly the same for both groups while adding yet another area of flavourful distinctiveness between the groups.

I definitly agree with this, we cut a bunch of buildings in 0.14. Im going to keep at it and see what else we can trim. Although it is an major improvement to get the buildings to be situation specific (and therefor shorten the build lists) I would also like to get them out entirely so they arent even cluttering the pedia anymore either.

The gamling house or the money changer may be good buildings to consider for removal. But even if we decide not to do that your idea of tying the gambling house to another requirement is a good one (maybe a civic option rather than alignment).

Three levels of science buildings is a good way to go (as something to put all the freed up production into, for one), Libraries, Monasteries (reclaimed), and Universities, each adding +25 percent research. It would be nice if most of the buildings went along with this same rule of three - build a Herbalist, then Apothecary, then Infirmary; Town Well, Aqueduct, and then Sewers; Carnival, Theatre, then Hippodrome (stripped of its military use but adding culture and maybe a bit of money instead). By having pre-requisites for each type, it makes the build list shorter, forces the player to build some of the less immediately useful buildings to get to better ones, and is much more comprehensible to the casual or beginning player as well.

Lastly - and this is probably extremely premature, but nevertheless is important (and I am assuming something can be done about it, or this is moot) - the default CivilizationAI really sucks at warmongering, and in this mod where war is even more crucial to success, means it really sucks in general. Now, I don't claim to be any kind of expert on AI, but I generally see the problem as one of focus - the computer tries to do everything when it is fighting, and thus ends up doing nothing effectively. For example, it'll send one stupid horseman into your territory to tear up a Farm, but is 70 hammers or whatever it cost to build him ('cause you KNOW he's going to die to any competent player who keeps a reserve to deal with just this type of idiot) REALLY worth slightly inconveniencing a city which is unlikely to lose that Farm for the 35 turns it would take to equal in food what you've just lost in shields? Then, once it builds another "pillage" unit, it'll send that unit in to die again, and again, and again, and again... Either build a honking big stack or two and do the job properly, or don't bother doing it all. The same with attacking cities - sorry, your two Bloodpets and a Catapult are not going to beat my 7 Arquebuses, so why not just stay home and use them for defence? My understanding is that the AI builds units and then assigns them a pool for attack, defence, or pillage, but that is, quite simply, a bad idea. Units, as a rule, are useless, the AI should be thinking in terms of stacks, which are not only more useful, but, because there are obviously less stacks than there are units, make it less complex to think about what to do. What it should do is relatively simple - build STACKS of units, EVALUATE the situation, then ATTACK the enemy (attacking being in the general sense of exploiting his weaknesses and covering your own).

Your right, we are trying to improve this but it will take time (its a big job). But it is critical. Its probably Chalid's favorite project and he has already done amazing work with it.

At a high level (which, of course, is easy for me to say), this shouldn't be all that complicated - if the AI has 400 points of units, then maybe a stack is evaluated as 10% of that number - 40 points. Have it decide to make one of several preprogrammed types of stack, which can be at random as long as the stack types are combined arms - example, 1 unit of 5 is siege, 2 of 5 are melee, 1 of 5 is arcane, 1 of 5 is bow/gunpowder. Pick a rally point, preferably one that is deep inside your own borders. Build the stack, adjusting build queues as necessary in your cities. If you have overflow units, start a second or even third stack. Once the stack is ready, look at the situation - do you need to attack, defend, or pillage? Are you losing cities - move the stack to a threatened city and defend! Is the enemy stronger than you, or are there dozens of defenders in his nearby cities - pillage! Is the enemy weak or overextended with only a few units defending a juicy target - attack! Every 5-10 turns (make it random particularly to make it harder to manipulate the AI ingame) have the stack reevaluate its mission, and also decide if it needs to "re-stack" and get reinforcements, whether by merging with another stack or retreating and rallying new troops to its location. In that way, the AI can react to situations as they arise - if it's cities are not being threatened, then it makes sense to counter-attack rather than wait for the enemy to restore its strength and return; if the enemy is in your heartland, pillaging time is over.

Yeah I know Chalid is working on what he calls "adventuring bands" where stacks of units with skills that complement each other get together to go warring. We are just at the begining of that work.

The key concept is exemplified by the famous Stalin quote "Quantity has a quality all its own". Any decent player can get kill ratios in the neighborhood of 3 or 4 to 1 over the AI in normal play, but if the AI resists the temptation to send inadequate forces anywhere at all and keeps its quantities up, it can try the old Soviet tactic of burying you with numbers alone. All it has to to is bring the kill ratio down just to 2 to 1; at higher difficulty levels where it can outproduce you by more than that ratio, you are going to lose in the long run, and even at lower levels if the human gets dogpiled, the AIs are going to come out on top. In general, the troops it loses running around on their own doing dumb-ass things like suicide pillaging, finishing off wounded or weak "bait" units, attacking fortified units on hills, and other individual acts of idiocy, are a large proportion of its losses, so forcing it to forgo these pleasures by fighting in stacks should give it a chance to be merely clueless instead of spectacularly incompetent.

Thanks for all of this feedback, it is exactly what we are looking for and helps us decide where to focus next and validate if the changes we are making are directly effecting the enjoyment of the mod. Keep it coming!

Yeah I know Chalid is working on what he calls "adventuring bands" where stacks of units with skills that complement each other get together to go warring. We are just at the begining of that work.

I have definitely seen examples of this already, I saw two drown, a prophet, and an adept head toward my city earlier. I imagined them back in their home city saying "level 2 drown, lfg for city pillage, send tell plz" and "Level one prophet, not a NEWB, lfg!" :lol:

If/When they understand the spells better, this would make them much more effective.

Oh, and do they AI ever build units for defending in the wild? I sometimes pair up one guy with city raider with another with woodsman/etc. to cover his butt as he heals.

Kael said:
Yeah, we talked about putting settlers behind a tech, I was worried about how the AI would handle that. I think at the very least I will increase the cost of settlers, but we may add the tech requirement too, as you suggest.

I don't know if this is such a good idea as it will also delay the settling of the second city and could make the early game a bit boring when you are just waiting for that first settler (your scout(s) probably got killed...).

Alternatives:
  • Make Settlers a national unit with a limit of 1. This doesn't completely solve the problem but it would hinder to rapid expansion.
  • Let the settler's cost increase with every city the player has (or every settler built). This would require the SDK but it shouldn't be too difficult.
  • Back in the old days of FFH 1 I suggested raising the limit for border expansions. Also worth a thought.

Kael said:
The gamling house or the money changer may be good buildings to consider for removal. But even if we decide not to do that your idea of tying the gambling house to another requirement is a good one (maybe a civic option rather than alignment).

It could be difficult to make money without a money changer but on the other hand I never tried it without them. The gambling house is strange but should be great for khazad now that they have a reason for a high tax-rate.

In general, when you remove building consider that you pontentially remove some fun for the perfectionist builders among us (at least I like to have lot's of buildings in my cities that all provide some boni to create some super-cities :) )

c.fe said:
In general, when you remove building consider that you pontentially remove some fun for the perfectionist builders among us (at least I like to have lot's of buildings in my cities that all provide some boni to create some super-cities :) )

QFT! In all my games I already run out of useful things to build as it is. Removing builder buildings will only increase this problem inherent to Civ4.

M@ni@c said:
QFT! In all my games I already run out of useful things to build as it is. Removing builder buildings will only increase this problem inherent to Civ4.

Even without cutting 0.14 has more buildings in it than 0.13. You cant just add objects forever, istead you add add add, but the more mediocore elements, then add some more. Its just a part of the design process. I dont want "more" I want all of the building to be of the best possible quality.

c.fe said:
I don't know if this is such a good idea as it will also delay the settling of the second city and could make the early game a bit boring when you are just waiting for that first settler (your scout(s) probably got killed...).

I think what slithy wants is to make the early game more focused on adventuring rather than empire building. So while the empire building aspect is downgraded a bit, obviously something else is going to be introduced to keep the early game fun.

For example, the game could start you off with a weak hero and focus on levelling it up and getting items (whenever the equipment system is implemented) and just exploring in general. You know, adventure and all that. If you need any inspiration, see how Heroes of Might and Magic does it. It's obviously not an empire building game, but the early game in FfH could be patterned off that game's gameplay.

A good adventure game map is:
-larger map, fewer civs
-marathon game
-raging barbs
-highlands or pangea
-no tech trading
-require complete kills
-always war
-an ally AI or two

On marathon games there's a higher focus on units as opposed to tech, on 'require complete kills' you can continue playing even if you lose your city (so long as you have units). 'Always war' gives a nice threat beyond raging barbs. Some allies gives you safe lands to seek out. 'No tech trading' slows down tech gain as well. Highlands gives you a lot of good land with lots of goody huts, raging barbs will see to it that most of these are guarded. 'Time victory' as the only option enabled makes it interesting as well ("can you survive the test of time?" :D)

Anyways, thats what I play when I want a good adventure :p

For the Mines of Gul Dor (or however it's spelled) can we switch from +3 iron to +1 gems, gold, copper, iron, and mithril? I find that the AI rarely trades iron and I never will, unless to a very, very close ally.

woodelf said:
For the Mines of Gul Dor (or however it's spelled) can we switch from +3 iron to +1 gems, gold, copper, iron, and mithril? I find that the AI rarely trades iron and I never will, unless to a very, very close ally.

Not without an SDK change. Right now a building can only provide 1 bonus.

The only complaints I have are it takes too long to research even lvl 1 techs at the start (50+ turns?!?) and Barbarians. I want to capture animals for my carnival, but I have just spent the past 15 turns fending off barbarians, and I'm on Warlord.... :sad:

Kael said:
Even without cutting 0.14 has more buildings in it than 0.13. You cant just add objects forever, istead you add add add, but the more mediocore elements, then add some more. Its just a part of the design process. I dont want "more" I want all of the building to be of the best possible quality.

I know. I know. I'm just comparing Civ4 to SMAC. In SMAC you always have something useful to build. If it's not a colony pod (settler), then it would be a former (worker, with SMAC's extensive terraforming options) and if all else fails there's always the supply crawlers (gathers resources on tiles and can transfer production between cities). Civ4 doesn't have such a thing. The Wealth, Research and Culture build options are too unlucrative to bother with. FfH is a bit better than unmodded Civ4 in this regard, as you can build priests and mages to build temples and cast Hope and Inspiration in other cities, but even then in my productive cities I often feel I have nothing useful to build.

feydras said:
I just met the new Balseraph leader - i think i'm in love...

- feydras

I thought the same thing! Unpredicatable and HOT! Nice combo. :)

woodelf said:
I thought the same thing! Unpredicatable and HOT! Nice combo. :)

You two have a clown fetish? :p

feydras said:
I just met the new Balseraph leader - i think i'm in love...

- feydras

You have Nikis-Knight to thank for her. All of the leaders were in the origional FfH1 design docs that I wrote before starting FfH1. I pushed them all to FfH2 when I realized that I wouldn't be able to do anywhere near what I wanted to do with them without the SDK (at that point I didnt even know python and had no idea I would meet folks like Talchas and Chalid who could make all these dreams reality).

So I think Keelyn is the only Civ leader added since that original design doc. Linda Bergkvist (one of my many favorite artists) is also partially responsible for painting that picture. In all honesty I loved that picture the moment I saw it and Ive had it stashed waiting for use for months. When Nikis-Knight wrote the story on the character I finally had a use worthy of the pictures quality and Keelyn was born.

My contribution was pretty minimal. I changed her name from Julia to Keelyn as I thought it matched her character more. And Nikis-Knight wrote all of her diplomacy tags with my only alteration being a rejection of the first batch because she sounded to young. I think Nikis-Knight envisioned her leading at the same age she is in her pedia entry, I thought another child conflicted to much with Cardith. I sent Nikis the picture and he sent back a new set of diplomacy tags for her older form. He still left a lot of the spoiled brat tone in her tags which I think gives her a lot of character and works perfectly for her.

c.fe said:
The gambling house is strange but should be great for khazad now that they have a reason for a high tax-rate.
In my latest Monarch game, I've had the Khazad at 100% science for about 200 turns now (and still getting a profit for most of that time), so the gambling house has been reduced to the role of "build it if there's nothing else necessary".

I have a general request. I like to use Haste whenever possible, as I'm sure all other micromanagers out there do, but it's a bit clunky to do so. My usual situation involves my units moving through my territory, and swinging by a city for that movement boost. I then have to switch to the mage/adept, cast the spell, switch back and keep going (can you feel my pain? :rolleyes:). I thought, if possible, it would be really nice to have the Haste button pop up for your current unit if it was sitting on a square that contained a mage that had the spell available to cast. That way no unit switching is necessary. Would this be relatively painless to implement?

- Niilo

Top Bottom