General Politics Three: But what is left/right?

What's the "Biblical admonition to stand with Israel?"
“[1]And thou shalt, without haste, pass the military aid of no less than 10 billion silver talents to Israel. [2]Thou shalt include the funding of the hollowed log that travels by air, the rock that sits atop a wheel, [3]and many other things that make a frightening sound and cause much ruckus.”

From the Book of Niidvoats

The lunatics think their god intends to use Israel as a sacrificial pyre to summon the end times. That's why all the "god gave it to them" stuff.

Nobody is still behind my idea for a 21st c. crusade.

Jerusalem → Pat Robertson City
Bethlehem → Jesustown
Ramallah → Falwellsburg
Tel Aviv → Popoffsville
Hebron → Jessica Hebhahn

IIRC biblical prophecy ties the End Times and second coming to a war in the Middle East involving Israel.

Yeah, I know all of that, Bird. But that still falls short of a "Biblical injunction to stand with Israel." That's a Biblical motivation to do so, maybe, but not an injunction.

Yeah, I know all of that, Bird. But that still falls short of a "Biblical injunction to stand with Israel." That's a Biblical motivation to do so, maybe, but not an injunction.
A good many American Evangelical Christians take the Bible literally. 40%, as of 2022, according to this article, although that's slowly falling. Couple that with the general Evangelical precept that they are required to spread The Word and save the unbelievers. Their whole thing is that they believe Judgment Day is going to happen (and, more to the point, that it's a good thing; they want it to happen) and anyone who hasn't embraced Jesus as their Lord & Savior will be left behind, and they're supposed to save as many as they can.

A good many American Evangelical Christians take the Bible literally. 40%, as of 2022, according to this article, although that's slowly falling.
I feel like that’s a narrow definition used by the survey takers (and I don’t blame them, they’re doing phone surveys)—does the term “literal word of God” need to imply that the events described in the Bible happened as written? Is it not within God’s power to write the same way as humans, using rhetorical devices? Or if God commanded the writing of the Bible, is its limitation in that it can only be written using concepts that humans can understand?

I think if I were surveyed an exasperated phone guy would just tell me to pick “I dunno” so he could move on to the next question. :lol:

Ari Berman, a writer for Mother Jones who's promoting his new book, Minority Rule, is speaking on the radio right now. He notes that, per demographic projections for the United States, 30% of our population will be electing 70% of our Senators by 2050. Which in turn means they'll have outsized representation in elections for President (because the number of Electors each state is granted in the Electoral College is equal to their number of Senators + Representatives), which in turn means they'll have outsized representation in the selection of Justices to the Supreme Court (because the President nominates them and the Senate confirms them).

He notes that when the compromise was reached between the representatives of the large states and the small states on how our representative government would be apportioned, the largest state - Virginia - had 14 times the population of the smallest state - Delaware. Today, California has 67 times the population of Wyoming. And it isn't just the Senate. People in small states today get more Representatives in the US House, too. California only has 52 US Representatives, when it should have 67.

And this is all if the minority party doesn't pull any tricks or manipulate things to unbalance their control of the government even more.

EDIT: And, on the subject of shenanigans, Berman notes that the 2024 general election will be the first one seeing a lot of changes to elections that states have implemented since the section 5 protections in the Voting Rights Act of 1965 were gutted by the Shelby County decision in 2013. (I suppose there must have been some present in 2016 & 2020, but Berman says there are more that have been implemented since then. For instance, he says there's a new law in South Carolina that would allow the state legislature to more easily overturn the results of their population vote. He believes this new law wouldn't have passed Section 5 muster before Shelby County. I don't know the details.)

Last edited:
Well, right. Any fair system has me in the most powerful economic and political positions. Actually, it probably just asks me to tell everyone what to do.

Hell, a lot of those rubes live in food deserts. Their brains probably don't work right from lack of vitamins. Best bury thier input forthwith! Now where is my doordash?

Money is influence. Clout as ultimately you put it, I think. And influence is required to both get and keep it. Or it gets taken. The population concentrations are that way for a reason and it isn't because all those bunk towns don't have rooms to rent in this "there is no housing!!!1!(up to my standards) economy.

If anything, I sort of appreciate electoral lines that New York state and Wisconsin can't surprise sex the second or becomes convenient!

Money is influence. Clout as ultimately you put it, I think. And influence is required to both get and keep it. Or it gets taken. The population concentrations are that way for a reason and it isn't because all those bunk towns don't have rooms to rent in this "there is no housing!!!1!(up to my standards) economy.

If anything, I sort of appreciate electoral lines that New York state and Wisconsin can't surprise sex the second or becomes convenient!

Instead of whatever this is, why not simply and directly explain why some people should get more votes than others.

He notes that when the compromise was reached between the representatives of the large states and the small states on how our representative government would be apportioned, the largest state - Virginia - had 14 times the population of the smallest state - Delaware. Today, California has 67 times the population of Wyoming. And it isn't just the Senate. People in small states today get more Representatives in the US House, too. California only has 52 US Representatives, when it should have 67.
The problem with the US Senate isn't so much that it's malapportioned, in a federation upper houses are generally designed that way because federations exist where there's sub national units of diverse sizes and dispositions and a political system has to cater to that. For example, North Rhine Westphalia has 1 seat per 3m people, Bremen has one per 200k. Tasmania has 1 seat per 46k, New South Wales 1 per 700k. México state 1 per 6m, Baja California Sur 1 per 290k. Sikkim has 1 per 600k, Uttar Pradesh has 1 per 8m.

Once you've decided to have a federation and a bicameral system, it's not really unusual or unfair to have a chamber that represents the federated polities. Hell in some systems the members of the upper house directly represent the legislatures of the states etc.

The bigger issue I think is that there's no proportional representation. In most federations that have proper upper houses (ie not Canada lol) there's a good degree of party diversity in the upper house with multiple parties getting elected at once in each state, or at least in most states in the case of India. It's rare for a single party, including a governing party, to fully control the chamber, which makes it work better as a house of review.

Even putting aside that a bunch of US states are just rectangles made up to vote about slavery, I think the biggest issue in the US is each Senate race is just for one seat. That's just replicating the terrible FPTP system in the lower house over and over again rather than providing a real source of diversity and review. Double the size of the chamber and elect all 4 senators in each state at once and you likely start to get much better representation including a more realistic chance for other parties to hit a 20% quota for a seat. Go to 600 senators and 1500 House of Reps seats and things really start to look more interesting.

Last edited:
Instead of whatever this is, why not simply and directly explain why some people should get more votes than others.
A lot of those states have low budgets and low incomes. That's how clout has worked out in the interplay between the economies of consumption and the economies of production. Services availability, too. Enough that people clearly find the desirable over the available alternatives. Prima facie the political skew isn't yet large enough to correct through governance towards social equity as yet. It might need to get larger.

Now, in the areas where the richest also get the most dangling dongles of votes, you need a different argument. But this is the argument of "in totality, total social/health outcome."

That would imply that, like gerrymandering, all else is contrivance and perversion of the underlying principle.

Even putting aside that a bunch of US states are just rectangles made up to vote about slavery
The majority of those came after The War.

As a note, the northern border of the NM territory with CO was drawn where the rain stopped. South of it was much dryer than the north of it.

US in 1861.jpg

The problem with the US Senate isn't so much that it's malapportioned, in a federation upper houses are generally designed that way because federations exist where there's sub national units of diverse sizes and dispositions and a political system has to cater to that. For example, North Rhine Westphalia has 1 seat per 3m people, Bremen has one per 200k. Tasmania has 1 seat per 46k, New South Wales 1 per 700k. México state 1 per 6m, Baja California Sur 1 per 290k. Sikkim has 1 per 600k, Uttar Pradesh has 1 per 8m.

Once you've decided to have a federation and a bicameral system, it's not really unusual or unfair to have a chamber that represents the federated polities. Hell in some systems the members of the upper house directly represent the legislatures of the states etc.

The bigger issue I think is that there's no proportional representation. In most federations that have proper upper houses (ie not Canada lol) there's a good degree of party diversity in the upper house with multiple parties getting elected at once in each state, or at least in most states in the case of India. It's rare for a single party, including a governing party, to fully control the chamber, which makes it work better as a house of review.

Even putting aside that a bunch of US states are just rectangles made up to vote about slavery, I think the biggest issue in the US is each Senate race is just for one seat. That's just replicating the terrible FPTP system in the lower house over and over again rather than providing a real source of diversity and review. Double the size of the chamber and elect all 4 senators in each state at once and you likely start to get much better representation including a more realistic chance for other parties to hit a 20% quota for a seat. Go to 600 senators and 1500 House of Reps seats and things really start to look more interesting.
I agree, and I don't know what the most likely fix is. I think we need to abolish the Electoral College, create term limits for SCOTUS justices, require SCOTUS justices to abide by the same code of conduct that other Federal judges are required to observe, and clarify that the Senate confirmation of SCOTUS justices isn't optional. Those four things would solve a few problems, and I don't think any of them are in any way unreasonable, but I think they're all essentially impossible. It would be asking the party in power and the branches of government to impose new rules upon themselves. In the event the Electoral College can't be blown out the proverbial airlock, individual states are allowed to appoint their EC representatives proportionally. Currently, two states do that, Maine and Nebraska. Again, what are the odds 40-something other states would do that? (I don't actually know how many states would need to do that for the results of the General Election to essentially mimic the popular vote, even if it's still technically being done through the EC.)

There is an effort to get enough states to agree to award their EC votes to the winner of the popular vote, all together, that the total EC votes between them would be enough to determine the General Election. I think they've reached about half of the number they'd need, but I think I might as well ask Betty Gilpin to marry me and see which happens first. (Oh, here it is: It's the National Popular Vote Interstate Compact. That says they've got 77% of the votes they'd need, as of this month. More than I thought. Still not going to hold my breath.)

As for the two-party system, I have no idea what a reasonable solution to that is.

Top Bottom