Getting rid of roads in every tile!

You'd have to define the route-to command so that only resources or cities were legitimate targets.

But is that not feasible? Already there are some restrictions in the route-to function... but as I said, I'm not a modder, just throwing ideas around. I'm going to need someone to do this, if it's ever going to be anything but ideas... ;)

Yeah I think it's definately feasible but I imagine it's at least a fairly involved python mod, if not an SPK mod.

There's also the problem of making sure that routes always start in cities.

Put a request out, maybe someone with the skills will be interested. I know there has been alot of interest in getting rid of road and rail sprawl over several editions now, I kind of expected they were going to take care of it in this edition. I had been really hoping to see a way more advanced transportation model especially for rails, along the lines of some of the more simple strategic movement rules seen in theatre-level wargames.

I think the two best ways mentioned so far are A) requireing buildings to build roads and rails and B) having the game generate a route between all of the cities and resources and making a path and only allowing rails and roads on paths.

I think A is more involved, because the AI will need to be taught. B shouldn't require any AI teaching, but does require the game to generate the paths. I see it working as if you had set a roading to road to a given area. Hopefully someone with the skills needed will see this and decide to run with it!

Kyle

I think the two best ways mentioned so far are A) requireing buildings to build roads and rails and B) having the game generate a route between all of the cities and resources and making a path and only allowing rails and roads on paths.

I think A is more involved, because the AI will need to be taught. B shouldn't require any AI teaching, but does require the game to generate the paths. I see it working as if you had set a roading to road to a given area. Hopefully someone with the skills needed will see this and decide to run with it!

Kyle

Well... if you need a certain building to complete a road to a city, then that building would always be the most important building, and an obvious first choice. If that building doesn't get built, the city doesn't get any resources, which might be crucial if it's a frontline city and cannot build e.g. swords, axes or spears. Defenders and troops from your other cities also will take longer to get to the front. So you're removing some pace in wars, if they take place around newly built cities, and no amount of workers can fix that. I realize the building doesn't have to be very expensive, and it does make more sense with regard to the RR.

Your point B I think is not so different from my suggestion on using the Route-To command, so I definitely see some potential in that! :)

And yeah, I also hope a skilled modder will be inspired by this thread! :D

I personally like the negative cost associated with railroads. I don't mind if roads are everywhere, as thats pretty much normal. Roads do go everywhere. However, railroads should have a cost associated. I wonder if its possible to make the railroad act as a -1 gold tile improvement? The AI should be able to cope with that, no?

Plots don't seem to do negative yields, they just do 0. Since most land plots don't generate commerce (unless next to a river), a -1 commerce for railroads wouldn't really affect things - other than that nobody would build rails next to a river or over commerce-generating resources.

If this Idea has not already been suggested why not add a maintinence cost to Land/Water Improvments, of course the rise of inflation would need to be curbed a bit to prevent massive over growth and mebey some other things.

clearly for me except maybe the esthetical part of the road network, there is no valid reason to limit the number of roads...maybe in USA or in such land with only a few century of wheel based civilization, it can be thinkable but here in europe, roads are everywhere.
Since the roman empire, the european road network have been expanded to nearly every places (in western europe, except in mountainous aera and a few other aera like some natural parks, there is a road less than a kilometer away in 99% of the cases)
It may be understandable to limit the railroad network but in this case you may give mouvement bonuses to all units as for exemple the travel between two cities may have lasted something like 14 days during the middle age and last actually something like 4 hours.

clearly for me, except maybe the esthetical part of the road network, there is no valid reason to limit the number of roads...

I agree completely. The road part I'm after is purely a visual effect, as improvements in themselves will give a movement bonus. The roads ingame will function only to connect resources.

Top Bottom