Give Bad Advice: CIV Edition

32. Bronze Working can be researched after you get Alphabet.

33. When you see enemy troops in your territory, get all your non-military units to link arms, go up to the enemy troops, and sing "Kumbaya".

34. Always try to found at least 2 early religions. Pick one to adopt, and make sure you don't spread it to your neighbours. Religious monopoly FTW!

35. When at war with an AI that has nukes, always stack your units together for protection.

36. Constantly give other civs free resources and gold per turn. It triggers an automatic 10-turn peace treaty. Keeping you safe from surprise DoWs!

37. Once you tech Railroad, Machine Guns should be your primary, if not only, attacking units.

Very nice idea for a thread.

5. Play the One-City Conquest Challenge-No Military Units-Always War Variant against Shaka, Montezuma, Ragnar, and Genghis Khan on a small, cold Pangaea map on Deity with the Aggressive AI option on.

I'm pretty sure that you'd lose on Settler under those conditions, even if your neighbors were Elizabeth, Gandhi and Hetshepsut.

10. Siege engines slow you down, so don't build any of them, especially when attacking fortified longbows (or pikes, or muskets etc.) defending cities on hills. You want to attack them with horseback units and nothing else so that the AI does not have enough time to send in reinforcements.
As you said, this can actually be really sound advice. Especially on higher levels and faster speeds.

38- Think Financial is the best trait, in all circumstances.

39. Ten Settler Opening - the strategy of champions. Settle capital and build 10 Settlers in a row. Land is power, right?

40. Isabella is your friend. Your towns are safe with her; If you're in a war, you can leave your border towns undefended and she will take care of them for you!

41. Remember, 3 archers against 10 immortals will always win. I mean, you're archers, right? Go do your job.

42. If you're financial, there's no need for cottages. Just workshop spam! :D

43. If Julius Caesar says he's your friend, you should trust him.

44. Building wonders are hammers well spend. They have huge benefits, and if another civ beats you in building a wonder, you at least get a nice cash return for hammers invested! So, try to build every wonder possible, especially at higher levels!

40. Isabella is your friend. Your towns are safe with her; If you're in a war, you can leave your border towns undefended and she will take care of them for you!

Actually, since she's a religious fanatic, Izzy is pretty easy to get to a stable (the key word is stable) Friendly, and unguarded borders with most countries are safe when they're at Friendly.

If you're really at war, then you can also switch to Theocracy for an added diplo bonus.

(Am I being too contrary in this thread? And was I understanding the "advice" the wrong way?)

45. If Inca is just running around with warriors, he must not have copper! Beelining Archery will handle that threat, no problem.

Actually, since she's a religious fanatic, Izzy is pretty easy to get to a stable (the key word is stable) Friendly, and unguarded borders with most countries are safe when they're at Friendly.

If you're really at war, then you can also switch to Theocracy for an added diplo bonus.

(Am I being too contrary in this thread? And was I understanding the "advice" the wrong way?)

but she can be bribed to DOW you any second :p

44. Building wonders are hammers well spend. They have huge benefits, and if another civ beats you in building a wonder, you at least get a nice cash return for hammers invested! So, try to build every wonder possible, especially at higher levels!

I actually did build every single wonder once, but that was on Settler, and actually the first game I ever played. (Yes, I did survive to the end for Space Elevator and the 3GD :D)

47. When playing as a Protective leader, to best use the trait, build walls in most of your cities and do not move your units outside of those cities. AIs will probably pillage all your improvements but I guess that's just the way the cookie crumbles - there's nothing you can do to stop them. :(

48. When playing as a Protective leader, you should not go on offensive wars. Recently captured cities don't need to be defended so your shiny CG units are useless.

48. Always automate your workers and scouts.
49. Leave your workers a free choice of task: do not set them to leave existing improvements,build trade networks, or whatever.

Top Bottom