Goldflash's New Secret Project

Saxton Hale will be the All the Military Leaders, Scientific Leaders, the Great Leader, the UU, and the City List.

I'm going to Chicago over the weekend to hold down a table at a convention center. In holding down this table I should have some time to bang out some tech trees. I'll see ya'all when I get back.

Are you sure you want to include Canada, Israel, Iraq, etc? Most of these countries were under British or Ottoman rule until afte WWII. Unless this will be some kind of alternate history mode, but I didn't get that impression from your posts.

Historically: Britain had Canada, Austarlia, (Egypt?), South Africa, and the vast majority of India-Pakistan, so you might want to cosider making them one civ under "India."
Ottomans had Iraq and Israel.
Spain had Cuba and most of Latin America, although they would revolt soon afterwards. Likewise with Brazil, which belonged to Portugal, so it would make sense to set the stage for a coup against them.
There was no "South" Korea until after WWII as well, until then they were one country(albeit under Japanese rule for a large amount of time).
Some civs you might want to consider replacing these are the Netherlands and Norway-Denmark.

Although so far, this looks like what would happen if Napoleonic Global, AOI, and AOI2 were to be played all in a row...

You talk at me like I'm some kind of idiot. Yes, I know every single word you just typed. You in case I didn't make this abundantly clear This is not a Scenario. This is a Mod. This will be like the Epic Game (remember the epic game?) The United States did not exist in 4000 BC. England did not exist in 4000 BC, but they are both still in the Epic game. Dear Freaking Lord.

Now I know how Wyrmshadow feels.

By the way, the Ottoman Empire crumbled after World War I, not World War II, buddy.

I'm sorry if I offended you, I was just trying to be helpful... I didn't realize it was incorporating civs from all the time in the 19th century-present. I take back what I said.:blush:

Once more on the topic of civs, why Argentina over any other South American country? Why not include Brazil or Venezuela?

And I did know the Ottomans disintegrated after WWI, I said those lands were under British OR Ottoman rule, as in they changed hands at some point, and only became independent after WWII. Sorry I wasn't more clear.

Why Argentina? Easy- They have several interesting flavor units already made, interesting leaders in Juan and Evita Peron, and were involved in a conflict that I find fascinating. Venezula is already in the form of Gran Columbia. Brazil isn't in the mod becasue, well, they aren't. I only have 31 slots, you know.

Also, I apologize for opening up a can of rage on you. I realized after the fact that I really hadn't been abundantly clearly about the fact that this was a mod.

Thank you.
Also, some ideas for (modern)UUs:
Canada-Mounties
Israel-Mossad, Golani
India-Ghatak Commandos

Also, Austria might be better put as "Austria-Hungary", as Hungary was an (almost) equal partner in the alliance.

Well, you nailed Israel's UU on the nose there, Bengal Tiger. The Mossad unit will replace the Agent in the final era. This won't be the only espionage UU- the KGB unit will replace the Spy in the third era for Russia. The Ghatak Commandos are a good choice for inda as well, but I haven't decided yet.

I didn't want to use the Mounties as Canada's UU because they aren't really a military force. Then again, they could work as fast defensive unit in the third or fourth era with little or no attack to shore up defense in event of an invasion or to quickly protect captured cities. I'll consider it.

A dual Juan and Evita Peron leaderhead would be AWESOME. I can imagine the diplotext:

"It's alright if your people cry for me, but Argentina cannot."

I didn't want to use the Mounties as Canada's UU because they aren't really a military force. Then again, they could work as fast defensive unit in the third or fourth era with little or no attack to shore up defense in event of an invasion or to quickly protect captured cities. I'll consider it.

While it is true that the Mounties are not a military force, they were a paramilitary force in their early years as the North-West Mounted Police.

If you want another option, I'd recomend a Canadian Corps unit (or Canadian WWI infantry) with a higher attack than normal First World War infantry as the Canadain Corps were often used as shock troops to spearhead British attacks (so much so that the Germans would make sure to reinforce any area where the Candians were assembled).

Just some thoughts for your consideration.

I promise I'll do a tech tree. I really do.

Also, I'm not sure I'll have First World War units in the mod (the first version anyway). Anyway I do it, Either the First or Second World War feels shoe-horned in and that is not what I want. So, WWI units will have to wait, for now.

Meet the Era 1 Tech Tree!

Over 9000 hours in MS paint. The ones with the little red x's are non-required techs.

As you can see, I renamed Economics to Mercantilism, and renamed what was called Capitalism on my paper tech tree to Economics. I'd really like you guys to ruminate on this for a while and tell me what you think. Then I'll post my tentative unit lines.

"Military Science" doesn't quite sound right to me, although I can't think of too many alternatives without knowing what it allows. Altogether though, it seems neat and organized, and varied enough to be interesting but not enough to impede gameplay or force the player to research 50 techs that each enable only one feature.

(Also, a minor nitpick: you misspelled "organization" :p)

Yeah, but I spelled Originization right.

Military Science will unlock the era's heavy cavalry, the cuirassier and probably a wonder, if I can think of a good Era appropriate military-esque wonder.

Yeah, but I spelled Originization right.

That word means something outside of the financial world?
You learn something new every day.

Military Science will unlock the era's heavy cavalry, the cuirassier and probably a wonder, if I can think of a good Era appropriate military-esque wonder.

Does "Mounted Tactics" or even "Heavy Cavalry" work? I know they don't have that nice ring to them, but I don't think "Military Science" does, either.

My humble suggestion, borne out of rising interest in this mod: call the tech Military Theory or Theory of War. The wonder is then a given: the book On War by Clausewitz from this very era (I bet Georgestow could make a nice wonder graphic for this).

Does "Mounted Tactics" or even "Heavy Cavalry" work? I know they don't have that nice ring to them, but I don't think "Military Science" does, either.

No, I want it to be more esoteric than that.

My humble suggestion, borne out of rising interest in this mod: call the tech Military Theory or Theory of War. The wonder is then a given: the book On War by Clausewitz from this very era (I bet Georgestow could make a nice wonder graphic for this).

Thanks for all the input, guys, but I'm going to leave it as Military Science for the moment. I think it conveys what I want the tech to be the best. Military Theory is an okay name, too, I guess.

Just for my 2 cents on Millitary Science; Why not Cavalry Tactics?
Maybe Agriculturalism would be better put as Agricultural Science...You also might want to add in something else after it, like Luxury Trade(or something to that effect) that allows certain luxuries to become available, which follows agricultural refining(Hey! There's another idea;)), at least to some extent
And just based on the original game, didn't steam power come before electricity?

Just for my 2 cents on Millitary Science; Why not Cavalry Tactics?

Because the Tech isn't just about Cavalry- it unlocks a heavy cav unit, sure, but I want it to encompass more ideas than that, which is why it will also unlock the On War Wonder.

Maybe Agriculturalism would be better put as Agricultural Science...You also might want to add in something else after it, like Luxury Trade(or something to that effect) that allows certain luxuries to become available, which follows agricultural refining(Hey! There's another idea;)), at least to some extent.

While I agree that Agriculturalism need a tech beyond it, Luxury Trade sounds even more clunky than Military Science and doesn't really encompass any ideas new to the time period. Also, I want to keep the resource model simple- only eight luxuries, all available at the beginning of the game. In fact, I'm gunna talk about resources for a moment here. I plan on only adding one- silicon, for late game high tech units like Modern Armor and the Aegis Cruiser. I was originally going to drop Saltpeter but that gave me only two resources, horses and iron, to use in the first era and I wanted more choices.

And just based on the original game, didn't steam power come before electricity?

Well, depends on what you're talking about. Electricity as a natural force has been around since time immemorial. This tech is more about Electric Theory, Ohm's law and all that, that was being pursued at that time. In fact, I'm going to rename the tech Electric Theory. As for the Steam Engine, the first practical steam engine was built in 1689- my tech is more about their widespread improvement and use.

All that garbage said, I'm not happy about their placement on the tech tree now. I may make steam power be in the same column as electric theory and require the same techs, but I may not.

Spoiler :
At one point I wasn't going to have horses in as a resource at all. Then I realized that they were important for the first half of my mod and that I am dumb. :D

Top Bottom