Governments and Politics III

OOC: Well there goes the two candidates supported in thread, and at the same time too.

Public Speech
This is a most troubling development. With the unfortunate passing of lords Zhou and Zhao the most respected man on the council and the only other potential candidate for Lord of China are gone and with them the councils own legitimacy is also in danger of passing. Only one man on the council commands the respect of the people and that man is Chow Bo. However the recent experiences of the Zulu make me concerned about putting the military in sole command of the government.
My friends, there are no easy answers here. I believe the first thing we must do is to appoint a new people's champion to ensure wider society has a voice in the final selection. In this difficult time the authority of the late Lord Wong must be exercised by the council as a whole, however a single hand is required to steer and make decisions when the council is deadlocked. Given his respect and the situation with the Zulu, Chow Bo is the only choice for chairman. This may be seem counter to what I said earlier but no individual concil member - not even the chairman - will wield supreme executive power.

Public Speech

I agree with Fei Li that Chow Bo is a good man, but in my opinion it would be too incongruous to place our military commander into the position of Lord of China. Such a state would be taking a step to imitating the Zulu savages, which is something unbefitting of the great Chinese people and additionally the abilities of such an experienced military commander as Chow Bo would be best utilised commanding our forces against the Zulu menace.

Alternatively I propose that Ma Tu would be appropriate as Lord, being a senior and experienced member of council and a landowner who has had responsibility for the needs of his leaseholders. If this is unacceptable to the Lords, then there is also Lam Tu, head of the craftsman guild. Under his tutelage the craftsmen guild has had great commercial success improving the lives of many citizens, having someone of his calibre overseeing council as Lord would despite his youthful age be something to be considered.

Lam Tu walked out of the palace and began speaking to the crowds

Public Speech

The death of Zhou Su has caused great sorrow among us. I have been profoundly moved by his death and the pain it causes for you after the council had heard your will. It has moved me in such a way that it has inspired me to act. Su's death has made me decide to propose myself for the position of Lord of Beijing.

I have long worked with the common worker and craftsman. I started out myself as a humble craftsman with a small shop. The crafts I made caught the attention of the lord of Beijing and gained me the recognition needed for a seat in the council. I set out to represent the common working man in the council with my partner Cheung Ha, may he rest in peace. Now I feel I have the responsibility to bring your voice directly to the seat of the Lord by being that man.

In spite of the former lord's actions I helped in giving employment and developing the crafting industry by forming the Craftsman Guild. Now any craftsman can earn a decent living, and more and more products are being traded for the value they truly have. We share experience and knowledge, and we help each other out in times of need. This is how many have been ale to leave their miserable status, and this was done with the few powers of a councilman. Now imagine what could be done as lord of Beijing.

Come out to the main square! Come and manifest your support as you did with your champion! Let the entire council know your decision, and help me lead China to prosperity and greatness!

Public Speech

I have thought long and hard about who to support, and have spoken to some of my friends in the caravan business. While there may be disagreement over how to go about it, nearly all of us can agree on two priorities: defend against the Zulu, and improve employment opportunities.

Several of my companions have said that they would prefer a merchant on the throne, for the sake of our jobs, but I have some concerns about our representative, Kwok Ah Bo. I do not believe he takes the Zulu threat seriously. He was quite dismissive of the matter when I asked him about it. Furthermore, coming from one of the wealthiest families in the city, I fear he may be out of touch with the needs of the poor, those who will need their leader's support most of all.

As for Chow Bo, he is indeed a good man, and a wise military leader. But is it wise to put the military in charge of the entire country? That would set a dangerous precedent. His leadership would create jobs during wartime, but what happens when the war is over? Our economy will have become dependent on war. It would then be too tempting for his successors, and for us, to seek out new wars to fight, which would only cause more suffering. Our descendants could become like the Zulu themselves.

Lam Tu has shown willingness and ability to help those in need, and to improve our industry in ways that will truly create a better nation in the long term. He understands that war with the Zulu is inevitable, but has shown no desire to lead us into unnecessary wars. Lam Tu has my support.

Public Speech

I believe that Chow Bo would be the best choice to lead China forward into the future. While I understand the concerns of my fellow Chinese in regards to the Zulu, I think it should be emphasized that the Chinese are not the Zulu. Why should we prevent one of the most qualified men from attaining the position of leadership he deserves because of the actions of far-away men who are so unlike us?

Public Speech

The death of Zhou Su comes as a great blow to China, the loss of a champion of the people at a time when no other has nearly the mandate that was given to him by the citizens of China.

But I can tell you that change is still coming to China, the next lord will not be one from the merchant families that have long passed the title between them. How fitting then, a change in Lord as China enters a new age with great new opportunities and great new difficulties. There is one man I know who posses the mettle and fortitude of spirit to handle these new changes, and that man is Chow Bo. A disciplined man who earned his position and has already experience in leading our security forces in the same way. Who better to forge this already great people into a greater country that will turn the tables and have the Zulus whispering in hushed tones of fear.

Yes, he is a military man and some are reasonably leery of that, but so long as we put more representatives of the people onto the council then we shall not have to worry about the military taking over us.

Session 2 Report

Drums were beating as the councilmen exited the palace to meet the crowds. Zhao Li Cheng was the first to exit, followed by Ma Tu, Han Zhi, Chow Bo, Hou Xu Chao, Wong Zan Guo, Kwok Ah Bo and Lam Tu.

The drums stopped rolling and the air was silent. The steward of the palace stepped forward, cleared his throat, and announced to the crowds.

“Fellow Chinese! The council has convened for many days and is now ready to announce its final decision. Please bow to the new Lord of Beijing, the distinguished Lam Tu!” at this the steward bowed, followed by the other councilmen and the rest of the assembled crowd.

“I thank you all for your recognition. I must now announce the names of the men who will compose my council. Yet before I do so, I would like to first begin by a proclamation. Called the Public Office Proclamation, it composes in adding specificity to certain council positions who will have a more honorary role and a clear responsibility of their functions. These honorary seats are the following:

Grand Secretariat: Headed by a Grand-Secretary reporting to the Lord in Council (Lord of China and Council together), the grand-secretariat would be responsible for overseeing the ministries of state, as well as drafting and reviewing decrees for the consideration of Council and the Lord of China.

Kwok Ah Bo shall occupy this position.

Minister of Foreign Peoples: Minister responsible for foreign relations and other discussions between China and the lands beyond the horizon.

This position shall be occupied by Hou Xu Chao

Minister of Rites: he is responsible of state ceremonies, religion and examinations (education).

This position shall be occupied by Shu Wei as he was rituals master of the newly built shrine.

Minister of Revenue: responsible for tax collection, the state budget and the handling of state revenues.

This position shall be occupied by Zhao Li Cheng

Minister of Works: responsible for public works, the hiring of artisans for state service, the transport system, and the state corvee.

This position shall be occupied by Fei Lee.

Minister of War: responsible for appointments, promotions and demotions of military officers, grand military strategy, and general management of the national military and military fortifications.

This position shall be occupied by Chow Bo

Minister of Justice: Headed by a Minister, responsible for the judicial process.

This position shall be occupied by Han Zhi

Minister of the Interior: Responsible for public order, counterintelligence, oversight of civic administrations, immigration and domestic national security.

This position shall be occupied by Wong Zan Guo

People’s Champion: Responsible for representing the common Chinese citizen and speaking for them in the council. An honorary position given to the man most loved by the people.

I shall refrain from making this decision to see whom the people support for their Champion.

The other councilmembers shall be: Ma Tu, Sun Chih, and Wu Tang. I hope we can work towards improving the lives of all citizens, and towards the glory of China!”

The people cheered and roared Lam Tu’s name. It took a while for them to quiet down, but once they did Kwok Ah Bo stepped forward and said.

“I would like to congratulate Lam Tu once again. He has the full confidence of this council. As we celebrate this day we shall not forget the issues to be attended to. We shall soon provide the decisions to:

What shall we research?
What Social Policy shall we decide?
What shall we produce in Beijing?
What shall we produce in Shanghai?
Shall our warriors keep exploring the lands around Ur and Ulundi?
What shall our Archers do?
What shall our workers do?

And we will like to welcome the new members to the council. May they give wise advice to our new lord.”

The day ended with celebrations throughout the city, meat and mead available to most to rejoice on a new era that had begun in the capital of China.

Deaths
None

Session 2 Turn 3 has now begun.

OOC: Now that we have players in the council will there be a social group where matters of the council may be discussed?

ooc: Normally there would but I can't create one because I have 5 social groups already. I tried deleting or editing those already made but It did not allow me for some reason.

Would anyone volunteer in creating one?

OOC: I'll see what I can do.

ooc: Normally there would but I can't create one because I have 5 social groups already. I tried deleting or editing those already made but It did not allow me for some reason.

Would anyone volunteer in creating one?

You'll need to PM a mod. I cleared a bunch of my old social groups prior to the game starting, just send the links and a request to have them deleted.

You just have to kick everyone out, then delete it. You get a pop-up saying you cant do it, but you have already done it, so whatever.

Conclusion Update

“Citizens, gather ‘round! The Lord has decreed the following for the city of Beijing!

Beijing shall construct a Paper maker, followed by the construction of grand Pyramids to honor our ancestors and bury the future lords. Beijing shall invest in the creation of an Archer's division. All are welcome to sign up to the new division to defend the land of your ancestors.
Researchers shall focus on Construction to improve building techniques, help with the construction of the pyramids, and improve the bows of our archers. Researchers shall then focus Horseback Riding to better use these animals in our everyday lives.
Social Policy shall be that of aristocracy.
The lord orders our Warriors to focus on exploring the lands around the Zulus.
Our Archers shall move towards the horse pastures in Beijing.
Our workers shall keep moving towards the silver mines to develop this resource.

An envoy shall be sent to Greece to speak of trade and other alliances that can be made.

In addition, the lord names Tan Qing as the People’s Champion. He shall begin his duties upon the next council session as the voice of the people to lord Tan.

News from Shanghai, young lord Hong Qing orders the construction of a granary as soon as possible.”

And so went the heralds around the city as another day ended in the lands of China.

Deaths
None

Session 2 is now over. Transition time has begun

Top Bottom