• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

Great Fun mod,...A few things I noticed and some questions

Bill Bisco

Callous Calling
I must admit that I'm very glad that I heard about this mod. I was somewhat skeptical at first, but when I actually started playing it, I was blown away. I stopped playing regular Civ, and started playing this exclusively. And, I'm still getting a lot of value out of it.

Some things that I've noticed

1. Good nations will look down on you for using Death or Entropy mana, yet they will ask you for it.

1a. If you give it to them either through a trade or a gift, they will think very highly of you.

1b. They have no problem making their own mana nodes for death or entropy magic yet will still chastise you for it

2. Formerly Good Nations will look down on you for using Death or Entropy mana. I played Varn Gosam, converted to Overlords which made me Neutral, then converted to The Veil which made me evil, made the pact and switched over to Hyborem.

Now with the AI playing Varn Gosam, and still being evil and still worshipping the Veil, he didn't like that I had Entropy mana.

3. The Veil is hyped up a lot in this game. Yet, it takes so long to acquire that by the time you get it, Runes of Kilomorph and Fellowship of Leaves have already dominated the world and converting others to the Veil is extremely hard.

4. Is there something about the Clan of Embers that I'm missing? It seems that by being forced to Raze Every City and getting -10% Science is a big disadvantage. Is being at peace with the Barbarians that useful? I would think that you'd want to take advantage of Barbarians for XP.

5. I've tried varying my strategies a little. Do any of you have a tried and true method of conquering the world super fast?

6. I've just got out of a programming class for VBA. We talked some about Xml. I'm curious how you all learned to program for Xml and where you learned? Is there a convenient guide out there for learning it, or perhaps to use it for Civ 4?

4. Is there something about the Clan of Embers that I'm missing? It seems that by being forced to Raze Every City and getting -10% Science is a big disadvantage. Is being at peace with the Barbarians that useful? I would think that you'd want to take advantage of Barbarians for XP.
Imagine if while you are fighting the barbarians the clan comes and attack you too :eek:
Too bad they don't really do that.
How useful it is also depends on your settings. For me who usually play with more than standard civilizations it's not very useful, not even when I modify the game so there are much more barbarians. If on the other hand you play on epic or marathon with raging barbarians and fewer than standard number of civilizations on a pangea or land map... that's almost cheating.

6. I've just got out of a programming class for VBA. We talked some about Xml. I'm curious how you all learned to program for Xml and where you learned? Is there a convenient guide out there for learning it, or perhaps to use it for Civ 4?
XML is not a programming language. It is just used to store information. There really isn't much to learn except what the variables mean, but most are pretty obvious. The meaning of many of them can be found at Civ4wiki.

Despite being a huge fan of fighting off raging barbs, I've come to appreciate the Clan so I'll address #4. Yes, you lose the XP from barbs, but I this allows you to do one of two things: expand very quickly or attack other Civs with impunity. I usually do the latter, sending out my goblins to make worg riders which really blow away everything else in the game at that point (especially since I typically play marathon games, too).

My favourite tactic is to send out worg riders and orc spearment to 'farm' workers from other civs, especially elves and dwarves and mud golems. I don't need to make my own workers for quite a long time. And, the ensuing war may give you some of that XP you're missing (though, the computer really isn't at a position to send much at you at this point - I've really crippled them from the get-go).

Last, I'll actually wipe out those civs that are near me, so that I have plenty of room to expand once I get around to doing it.

- Niilo

Thanks for your replies. I asked about Xml because it seems to be so prevalent.

I was really trying to ask how did the people who mod this game get started or figure out how to do so/ how do you mod for this game?

So, you're saying that modes above Normal, (Epic, ect.) cause more Barbarians to appear?

7. I tried to play a game in Which I Summoned Hyborem, then switched to the Order Religion. Why can't I spread the Order in my cities which have the veil in them?

I wanted to make Basium. However, the AI beat me to it. However, when the mercurian Gate was created, Basium didn't appear. Is there something I didn't know about making Basium? Can the AI make Basium? I set the number of Civs to 16, and for the 17th, I selected Open. Did I do something wrong here?

There are more barbarians on epic/marathon compared to how fast you can create units.

5. I've tried varying my strategies a little. Do any of you have a tried and true method of conquering the world super fast?

The easiest victory conditions as far as i'm concerned are Religious victory and altar of luonntar victory. The cultural victory is much harder due to the lack of culture giving buildings. The tower of mastery victory is basically the altar victory except massively more difficult.

To win a religious victory: pop an early religion (still do-able with veil/order because they convert everyone to your aligment, = ++++ relations) spam disciples and convert as many civs as possible. Rush inquisitors, declare war on all heathen civs until they are either a) dead or b) accept your religion. Make sure to raze all other holy cities.

Handy note: inquisitors remove non-state religions from any city, regardless of ownership, so get open borders with your friends and start the ethnic cleansing!

To win an altar victory: rush prophets and 1 engineer. Power up through the magic/religious line and you've just got yourself the easiest win in the game.

7. I tried to play a game in Which I Summoned Hyborem, then switched to the Order Religion. Why can't I spread the Order in my cities which have the veil in them?

If you want to do this, then what you have to do is build Confessors to go in and use the "Build Temple" ability for them. That will do two things 1) Establish the Order in that city and 2) Remove the Veil from that city.

I wanted to make Basium. However, the AI beat me to it. However, when the mercurian Gate was created, Basium didn't appear. Is there something I didn't know about making Basium? Can the AI make Basium? I set the number of Civs to 16, and for the 17th, I selected Open. Did I do something wrong here?

You can also use an Inquisitor to remove non-state religions from a city.

You should have set the number of Civs to 16 and left the 17th Closed, to my understanding. I think this is the problem.

Top Bottom