Great Person Q&A

pimpens

Chieftain
I have been looking into which great person you get for a while now. If you could know which one or even one step further make the conditions just right to get the one you want. Sorry to say to all its random. You get a Great Person if you have, have a tech linked to, or are able to build their associated tech.

This means since you can always learn: Horseback Riding, Bronze Working, Pottery, and Alphabet you always have a chance of getting one of there associated Great Persons unless you already have them or another player has discovered him first. Ex. Say you learn Bronze Working first. Before you learn another tech you get a Great Person. He is going to be one of the following: Homer (Alphabet), Plato (Pottery), Gilgamesh (Horseback Riding), Sargon (Bronze Working), Agamemnon (Iron Working), or Marco Polo (Currency).

Though i have noticed you have a slightly higher chance of getting a great person whose associated tech you have learned and is highest in your tech tree. I have not looked into when you stop getting the option to get a certain Great Person yet since you cant break the game with that knowledge. I would assume it has something to do with how far ahead of the Great Persons associated tech you are. Like how when you advance to far you are given really old tech you left behind.

Any comments to build the knowledge of this topic would be appreciated.

Though i have noticed you have a slightly higher chance of getting a great person whose associated tech you have learned and is highest in your tech tree. I have not looked into when you stop getting the option to get a certain Great Person yet since you cant break the game with that knowledge. I would assume it has something to do with how far ahead of the Great Persons associated tech you are. Like how when you advance to far you are given really old tech you left behind.

You've noticed a slighter higher chance of getting a great person associated with a recently learned tech? How did you notice this and how did you chart this? Is this something you actually have hard data on? Or something your more or less assuming?

As for great people, I don't think your technology ever "expires" or gets too outdated and your unable to get an earlier great person later in the game. I just think by the time the late game hits, the earlier great people have all been already used in the game, whether by your civ or another civ.

It would be real nice for someone involved in the design of this game to swing-by and fill us in, a lot of people want to know about this...

Top Bottom