Greater Europe - People of the Old World

I'm 99% sure starting a "We Love the King Day" is possible with Lua, though I have no idea how to code it. I'll do what I can with the XML, though.

Yeah, and it seems pretty easy. But what ideas we're going to do? I'll start making the lua as soon as I finish doing my HRE's damn diplomacy texts. (So many lines... :sleep:)

Yay! Thanks, AggresiveWimp - that should help the coding process (for Tarcisio (now I feel bad forcing him into this (probably deserves it though (Viregel you can't say that)))). This is going faster than I expected. :p Team effort FTW!

Edit:
Yeah, and it seems pretty easy. But what ideas we're going to do? I'll start making the lua as soon as I finish doing my HRE's damn diplomacy texts. (So many lines... :sleep:)

You know you don't have to write all the diplo lines? Greetings, Attacked and Declare War are all that seem to matter. Though do so if you feel compelled to. :p (Though I really want your HRE in town :D)

I think we're going with your plan, as there's been no objection as of yet.

My shot at the Angevin Empire, revolving around the Plantagenet tradition of fierce, strong warrior kings acquiring vast swathes of land by charisma, diplomacy and sheer balls-to-the-wall power.

Angevin Empire.
UA: "Warrior Kings" Units trained in a city celebrating WLTK day receive 5 free xp, and an extra 5xp for every pre-industrial military or defensive building in the city.
UU: "English Longbowman" +1 range, receives double GG points from combat, but takes significantly longer to build.
UU: "Plantagenet King" Replaces Great General, if the PK ends its turn adjacent to an enemy city or unit, the capital will enter WLTKD. If a unit adjacent to the PK captures a city, all cities will enter WLTKD.

Not sure if this is either absurdly OP, or very much UP, either way I think adjustments can be made, I just worried about cluttering the civ with too many bonuses or maluses, for example I considered adding on to the Plantagenet King UU, if killed, all cities enter resistance for the next 2 turns, but that could be too harsh. I was also considering adding, stationing GGs or high-levelled units in a city increases the production of military units/pacifies the city. God, too many potential bonuses.

One thing is that the other UU, the English longbowman, is probably the best fit for an Angevin civ, it gave the entire empire their power, as opposed to the Elizabethan army, which had little land power and had almost entirely phased out the longbow in favour of muskets. If this is becoming a British Isles split, and with the presence of 3 other British civs, it looks like it might, then I'd suggest giving Elizabeth a new unique. I'd go with this:

High Theatre: Replaces Zoo. Provides 2 culture, unlike the zoo, however provides no base happiness. It has a slot for a great work of writing however, which, when filled, provides +3 happiness.

Looks good! I'll try to make sure this is compatible with JFD's Britain split, nonetheless. Also, I'm not overly convinced about the Plantagenet King UU, given that monarchs as UUs is generally unusual. However, that would be something I'd consider for something else - Wars of the Roses scenario? I've considered it for a while now, and it could work if both civs (Lancaster and York) had simple, easy-to-code designs.

Oh it isn't really meant to apply directly to the kings, its more addressing in general the tradition of strong warrior nobility and such, the problem is just that for English language civs, names for uniques are harder because it looks stupid if you just name it 'Noble General' or something, whereas for say a spanish civ you can just stick that in google translate and bam, nice cultural name ahah.

Hey, is there a way to get Dal Riata off Steam? I gave up on the subscription service and I'd like to get my hands on it!

I was once planning Hammurabi, couldn't truely come up with anything interesting enough to start coding, but I made leaderscreen, so if you need one: image.

I'll get to a non-steam download for Dál Riata, but I need to fix the art and a few other issues with it.

Also, any suggestions for Austro-Hungarian music? I think a version of "Gott erhalte Franz den Kaiser" would work well, but I can't find a fitting enough version. If anyone wants to write anything (pedias, DoM), then feel free - though I can do that myself anyway, if nobody's up for it.

Edit:
I was once planning Hammurabi, couldn't truely come up with anything interesting enough to start coding, but I made leaderscreen, so if you need one: image.

Thanks a lot! If you still want to continue with him at any point, I could pass over my ideas.

Oh, It's actually always interesting to read ideas. :) Though I am gonna probably leave coding for you.

Thanks for the theme COF! I'll see if I can add that at some point. :D

One question on Austria-Hungary though - the UU is now called the "Grenzer", because Jan's art was too awesome not to use, and as a result, the unit needs to be backdated slightly. However, this presents a problem for WWI accuracy. Ideas:

1. Keep it as a regular Great War Infantry replacement.
2. Make it an earlier Great War Infantry replacement, that's strong when it comes around, though weak later on.
3. Make it a Gatling Gun replacement.
4. Make it a Gatling Gun replacement that upgrades to Great War Infantry (no problem with promotions passing over, apparently).

These were the only viable options for keeping a WWI theme and historical accuracy me and Tarcisio could think of. Any opinions or ideas?

Now that I reread the ideas, number 2 seems to represent pretty well how the austro-hungarians were major derps during WWI, they start powerful but cant keep up later on. :mischief:

Hey guys, since we've got Austria-Hungary almost finished I've began making another WW1 civ, Wilhelm's II Germany. I have made much of the art already, but it needs a better icon (COF? :)).

Spoiler :

Here are my (With help from viregel :p) thoughts so far:

Unique Ability - The Schlieffen Plan (Or Total War):
Every unit gains +2 movement points on the first turn of war and +1 movement for the nine following (Reduce this?). Workers disbanded in the same tile as a military unit will completely heal them, but they will lose -15% combat strength for the rest of the war.

Unique Unit - U-boat:
Replace the submarine. Gain Combat Strength bonus in blockaded cities (on the waters owned by them) and experience from sinking Cargo Ships.

Unique Unit - Stormtrooper:
Replaces the great war infantry. +40% Combat Strength against fortified units (Ignore the fortified bonus). Has bonus against other gunpowder units and a cover-like promotion when in open terrain.

I wanted them to use the dromon fire effect as a flamethrower, but not sure if that is possible

War Music should be this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7AlEvy0fJto

Also, need help with the civilopedia entries :crazyeye:

Top Bottom