Guess the New Civs

Yea it is probably wishful thinking. But just comparing accomplishments, the Chibcha, Tupi, Mapuche, Guarani come no where close to the Chachapoya. Population, military history, and architecture are all triumphed over with the Chachapoya in comparison. I personally like looking at the significance and power of a civ rather than its fame, and the Chachapoya were that important.

And to be honest all of them are really not to well known. Of the ones mentioned the Tupi would be the most likely to get in sadly.

Obviously I use that equivalency with some caveats attached, but in many ways they were like the Maya of South America.

They were a confederation of many city states that acted in defense and aggresion to spread trade/influence. But in a sense that makes them more unique. The Maya always were just a group of city states with few alliances between one another, (the Tikal alliance was probably the largest). But the fact that there was a leader of the Chachapoyan confederation and their impact on the region for so long is interesting.

Yes they occupy a similar area to the Inca, but they also controlled parts of the cloud forest regions and the outer Amazons.

Of course. Specifically I meant if they were like the Maya to the Aztecs in that they were a civilization which may have inspired some aspects of that which succeeded them (in this case the Incas.) But if they functioned as you say they may have been more politically motivated to succeed than the Maya, as in they knew the benefit of being individualistic yet remained with a strong centrepoint of government between their Cities (much like the Incan Empire and the Four Regions, with Cuzco at the centre - perhaps not coincidentally so?) But it's true; its a very obscure civilisation, and thus will probably only remain a Modded-in Civ for the game.

I expect the following civs:
6. Gran Colombia with Simón Bolívar
7. Soviet Union
8. Zulu
9. Portugal (i cant believe that the former world power will not come, if really not then Sweden)

I'm aware, being an advocate for Teotihuacan as a civ.

Yep Teotihuacan was a great civ, the problem is the city list would overlap, there would be no obvious leader, and no preserved language.

I love what we do know about Teotihuacan, it's control of the northern Mayan World, its contributions with prophets and shaping of religion, etc. But it doesn't have the requirements to be represented (A long enough City List, A leader, A language, Unique units, It would have a Unique building at least).

The Chachapoya would have all of those (Leaders, City List, Language, Unique Units, Unique Buildings/Improvements)

They will never have Russia AND the soviet union. It would be like having England AND the united kingdom.

Like I have said of the Modern nation States, Brazil is the most likely to get in (but that still doesn't mean very likely to get in).

The Brazilian Empire, fighting off the Dutch (I understand at that time was portugueese), economic powerhouse from 16th Cent to late 20th Cent. Economic Powerhouse once again. Controls a lot of influence in South America, has built several major wonders, high populace, and the native history could be included too. (Putting in a Tupi unit wouldn't be out of the realm of possibility).

A Tupi unit for Brazil would be bad representation of the civilization; it would make as much sense as giving the USA a Iroquois unit. That being said, I would love to see a Tupi civilization.

But I still fail to see the power you guys seem to give to Argentina. Until the industrialization of the midle 1900, Brazil and Argentina were not that influent.

Betwen 1800-1900, Colombia, Venezuela and most of all, Paraguay, were the real leaders of the continent.

That is not really true, for most of the period you mentioned the greatest centers of economic activity in South America were the regions of Rio de Janeiro, São Paulo and Buenos Aires. Paraguay had a short spur of industrialization and was rather powerful for a very short while, but that ended with it's defeat at the War of the Triple Alliance.

Neither Colombia nor Venezuela were particularly significant militarily, except for during the wars of independence. And after attaining independence, their economies actually deteriorated due to destabilization of social structures and internal strife.

Since its medieval times lets have Wallachia ruled by Vlad the Impaler and have it be a religious kingdom...

Vlad the Impaler did try to unify Romania/the west against the Ottomons

Yep Teotihuacan was a great civ, the problem is the city list would overlap, there would be no obvious leader, and no preserved language.

I love what we do know about Teotihuacan, it's control of the northern Mayan World, its contributions with prophets and shaping of religion, etc. But it doesn't have the requirements to be represented (A long enough City List, A leader, A language, Unique units, It would have a Unique building at least).

The Chachapoya would have all of those (Leaders, City List, Language, Unique Units, Unique Buildings/Improvements)

Well, Teotihuacan did, at one point, rule over most of modern Mexico, so cities wouldn't be an issue. Siyaj K'ak' or Jotzom K'uh come to mind as leaders.
As for UUs, I can't think of anything civ-specific, but there is certainly some Mesoamerican stuff lying around that no one else is using.
Unfortunately, language is true. I would assume the norm would be used, which is K'iche', but that's certainly not what the Teotihuacanos spoke.

Does anyone really expect Firaxis to put in any South and central American civ that aren't the Inca, Maya or Aztec? Any others aren't really in "popular" history.

I would guess:

Zulu and/or Ethiopia

Sumerians and/or Hittites (just because they were already in a scenario and Firaxis is lazy)

If any of the above are not chosen, I'm guessing the last slot will be filled by something totally off the wall that will make us all go "WHAAAAAT?!?!"

hoplitejoe, I don't. If they add any more Native American tribes, I expect them to be North American. Even then, my money is against it.

They will never have Russia AND the soviet union. It would be like having England AND the united kingdom.

Or Germany and the Holy Roman Empire :p

Although I agree. The Soviet Union is highly doubtful.

Does anyone really expect Firaxis to put in any South and central American civ that aren't the Inca, Maya or Aztec? Any others aren't really in "popular" history.

I doubt too. but, one can dream...

Also, I think some of the new "modern civs" (if any of those will be include) will be choose having a target maket in sight to sell the game, not only because they are "relevant" in history. Thats why I think that Brazil, Australia, Austria, Canada have a chance.

im gonna say besides the confirmed civs it will be Sioux, Zulu, Ethiopia and, uh... I dont know, Brazil? The map is starting to get kind of full.

I expect the following civs:
6. Gran Colombia with Simón Bolívar
7. Soviet Union
8. Zulu
9. Portugal (i cant believe that the former world power will not come, if really not then Sweden)

Despite how cool it would be, I seriously doubt that they will ever implement the USSR.

im gonna say besides the confirmed civs it will be Sioux, Zulu, Ethiopia and, uh... I dont know, Brazil? The map is starting to get kind of full.

Zulu/Ethiopia is a lock.... just a matter of which one if not both. Kongo a dark horse.

I would have said Majapahit if they didn't already have Polynesia. Another water based civ is unlikely.

I think Sumer/Hittite is highly probably. Babylon needs another ancient rival. There is really no one else to represent that time period other than ancient Egypt. Greece/Rome were a little later. Plus the scenario is missing them and need to be added in.

Hebrews, but the religious CS's scream Jerusalem.

6. Zulu (Military bonus and movement bonus)
7. Ethiopia (Faith/Culture bonus)
8. Sumerian (Agriculture/Food bonus, Warrior replacement)
9. Majapahit (Diplo bonus.... Gifts and Quests yield 50% more influence)

Can't see anyone but Majapahit. No European civ should come before Portugal so I don't see anyone there. I think Indonesia wins out.

DLC's:

1. Portugal
2. Hebrews

Those can sell.

Top Bottom