Guess the New Civs

I really don't see this as a problem, if the name of a city should represent the actually city as it is exactly in our history should we then also be forced to build Constantinople/Istanbul at the coast? Should the Egyptians be the only civ that could build the pyramids?

For me the names of the cities just adds a bit of flavor for that specific civ, as the names they would have called their cities were they to found them.

As for Kraków, it is a place of lots of sanctuaries, but you are right that it would be rather mercantile. I just wanted to post it as a counterbalance to nearby Prague (in regard of the Medieval scenario). If there would be a Polish religious city state, it should be Częstochowa, it's the most important in the country. I'd love to see Sankt Gallen and Lourdes as other European religious CSs.

Is Danzig/Gdansk in the game already (I have a bad memory and I'm currently at work)? If not, that could be a good fit as a new Mercantile city-state. Or maybe Maritime to replace an existing CS that is becoming Mercantile/Religous.

I really don't see this as a problem, if the name of a city should represent the actually city as it is exactly in our history should we then also be forced to build Constantinople/Istanbul at the coast? Should the Egyptians be the only civ that could build the pyramids?

For me the names of the cities just adds a bit of flavor for that specific civ, as the names they would have called their cities were they to found them.

Well, yes, but it would be more interesting if the name were as if it were taken if a corresponding city were founded. So, for instance, if Adrianople is founded, both the names "Adrianople" and "Edirne" become taken, and as such won't be randomly chosen at city founding.

So, now we know that Israel, like Portugal, won't be in (as Jerusalem is in the game).

So that further shortens our list of possible civilizations. Here are my guesses (in order of the likeliness I think they have of being in the expansion):

1. Zulu
2. Sumeria
3. Hittites
4. Ethiopia
5. Austria
6. Assyria
7. Sioux
8. Poland
9. Hungary
10. Brazil
11. Khmer
12. Mali
13. Phoenicia

So, now we know that Israel, like Portugal, won't be in (as Jerusalem is in the game).

So that further shortens our list of possible civilizations. Here are my guesses (in order of the likeliness I think they have of being in the expansion):

1. Zulu
2. Sumeria
3. Hittites
4. Ethiopia
5. Austria
6. Assyria
7. Sioux
8. Poland
9. Hungary
10. Brazil
11. Khmer
12. Mali
13. Phoenicia

I'd say Mali is less likely than all of those given that Songhai/Mali is very similar. However, I do like the rest of your list of likely candidates. I'd almost move Khmer up given the focus on religion of this new pack. I think Ehtiopia is now a lock, Khmer is relatively likely.

I also have been thinking that there's one civ that may be coming in given the Gods and Kings title, and that's the Franks. Charlemagne and the Franks would fit the goals of this expansion, and they have two ready UUs (Franciscan Axe Thrower and Halberd infantry).

I also have been thinking that there's one civ that may be coming in given the Gods and Kings title, and that's the Franks. Charlemagne and the Franks would fit the goals of this expansion, and they have two ready UUs (Franciscan Axe Thrower and Halberd infantry).

That would be very interesting, but don't you think they might be a bit redundant with Germany in (since the old Germanic peoples are seemingly included within the German civilization)?

About the "two ready UUs", what do you mean, were those two UUs released as part of a scenario?

The Franks, weren't actually German but a mestizo of Roman and Visigoth that settled originally in France and Brittany but under Charlemagne expanded to conquer Italy and Modern Germany, Austria, Switzerland, etc. The HRE and it's german location were descendants of them. I see it as a Sumeria/Babylon/Arabs thing, a lot of greographic overlap but different ethnicity and culture and different peaks of power removed by several hundred years.

Is Danzig/Gdansk in the game already (I have a bad memory and I'm currently at work)? If not, that could be a good fit as a new Mercantile city-state. Or maybe Maritime to replace an existing CS that is becoming Mercantile/Religous.
There is no Gdańsk/Danzig, and I hope it will be introduced some day, unless Poland becomes a playable Civ. However, the city was always known as a relatively free city, not only during the interbellum of the 20s. It was a valuable member of the Hanseatic League and, while under the sovereignty of the Teutonic Order or the Polish King, it was governed by strong local authorities and had special privileges when under any superior regime - therefore I think that even if Poland is introduced as a full Civ, Gdańsk/Danzig could well become a commercial CS.

Franks with Charlemagne (or Charles Martel) would make more sense than Civ4 HRE. Good idea, but I sense it might be confused with France, although those are two entirely different entities.

I think something from the Hanseatic League would be cool (not sure if it had to be Danzig/Gdansk (and the fact that we're using both suggests there still might be some controversy there ;) ).

I think something from the Hanseatic League would be cool (not sure if it had to be Danzig/Gdansk (and the fact that we're using both suggests there still might be some controversy there ;) ).
A lot of Hanseatic cities - at least those most famous - are already represented in other Civ city lists. Lubeck, Cologne, Bremen, Hamburg, London, Novgorod, the Dutch cities are also going to be represented. Not sure if there is Wismar already, but if not, then it could compete with Gdańsk/Danzig, Tallinn/Reval, Riga and Brugge as the most important Hanseatic candidate from the cities that are left. Besides, logic suggests that when mercantile city states are going to be introduced into CiV, the Hansa is an instant win for the devs ;)

Is Lubeck actually in the German city list?

1. Zulu
2. Sumeria
3. Hittites
4. Ethiopia
5. Austria
6. Assyria
7. Sioux
8. Poland
9. Hungary
10. Brazil
11. Khmer
12. Mali
13. Phoenicia

I would also add Sweden, Kongo, the Khazars and Majapahit to your list
And of course change the order in some places ,)
Oh and I guess - and absolutely hope - that they will leave the remaining mainstream civs (Sumer, Zulu and maybe the Sioux) for later DLCs or a possible second expansion, alongside Portugal
But otherwise pretty much agree with you, almost all of these would be great additions

I'd actually like Jews as a civilization, I mean, Judaism, hello :p If there's Huns and Tengriism, then Jews are to be expected. Israeli Commandos with UZIs would just be badass! :crazyeye:

I'd actually like Jews as a civilization, I mean, Judaism, hello :p If there's Huns and Tengriism, then Jews are to be expected. Israeli Commandos with UZIs would just be badass! :crazyeye:

I don't think the Huns would make it either...

The Franks, weren't actually German but a mestizo of Roman and Visigoth that settled originally in France and Brittany but under Charlemagne expanded to conquer Italy and Modern Germany, Austria, Switzerland, etc. The HRE and it's german location were descendants of them. I see it as a Sumeria/Babylon/Arabs thing, a lot of greographic overlap but different ethnicity and culture and different peaks of power removed by several hundred years.

I'm not sure what you mean about them being a Romano-Visigoth hybrid? They spoke a West Germanic language, while the Visigoths spoke a East Germanic language, and as far as I know they aren't related to neither the Romans nor the Visigoths.

I would guess that Austria is one of the added civilization. The reason for this is the fact that we have a medieval and a Victorian scenario. Austria was very important during the Victorian era, the medieval scenario is supposed to feature the Reformation and Austria was among the main enemies of the Reformation. I think the chances of Austria being included are quite good.

They have already announced Jerusalem as a city-state so Israel is out. Maybe it will come in a DLC?

Just because Jerusalem is a city-state, does not mean that Israel is out. Many country across the world do not recognize Jerusalem as part of Israel, (they recognize the pre-67 borders) and recognize Tel-Aviv as the capital. If they were to implement modern Israel there is still a chance, but for Judea, not as much.
I do think it would be a great addition to add Israel with the religion/espionage aspect, but the controversy might be preventing it from being in Civ5.

I would be absolutely ecstatic if they made MALTA one of the new CS :D

A military CS would probably suit it best considering it endured two of the most awful sieges in history.

Top Bottom