Guess the New Civs

This. You can't forget that first and foremost, the game has to appeal to as wide an audience as possible. If the box says "Play as the Mejapahit civilization!" most people are going to look at it and say "Huh?" If it says play as Indonesia, your average gamer can wrap their heads around that a little bit better. Yes, it's dumbing down the game a bit, but it doesn't dminish gameplay or "fun factor" at all.

Since this is a expansion,I don't think people wouldn't buy it just because there's a civilization little known . Actually,this might be even a incentive for buying this expansion,because there are people who wants civs that have never been officially represented in Civ series before .

Yeah, "civilization" is a broader term and doesn't always coincide with the political entity. That's how we can have a Greek Civilization that includes more than the Polis of Attica (Athens) or even the Delian League that she ruled. Same reason we speak of the Phoenician civilization, not the Tyrian civilization, etc.

African civilizations are indeed very underrepresented. You have North African Civs and Egypt, but other than that there is really only Songhai that represents the African niche. It is a shame too since there are so many African civilizations with unique features that could translate into cool gameplay.

With only 3 Civs left, I would be surprised if more than 1 African civ gets in (though I am fairly confident, we will get at least one). I would personally prefer Ghana, a Civ that would thrive on peace and money. Perhaps some of its thunder might have been stolen with the addition of The Dutch though.

I've read the mention of Ethiopia quite a few times, I'm assuming because of how diverse they are in terms of religion, and the new Faith mechanic being added to the game. I don't know too much about Ethiopia as a civilization though. There are more famous African civilizations that would probably get in before them. I personally find Zimbabwe and the Kingdom's around that area to be more entertaining of a Civilization (or at least one more people should read about).

A Hebrew civilization would have made a ton of sense if they were going for a faith based kingdom. Though with the addition of Jerusalem as a City-State coming out at the same time, I would assume the chances of us getting that are slim.

Someone mentioned Eskimo-esqe Civs, which would be cool, but doesn't really fit any of the new themes (not that it needs too). I think there might be a decent chance one makes it in, because there is no Civ that can really make use out of Snow yet, and it only makes sense for one of them to specialize in that. Not only that, but they could have a Civ that might be able to bypass Ice as well. It fills in a nice niche, so though no Eskimo Civ really focuses on any of the revealed religions (to my knowledge, I skimmed through the list) and espionage, it would still make Civ a bit more well rounded.

What about not naming the civilization "Indonesia" but "Nusantara",a name that was longer in use then Indonesia.
And splitting Indonesia into kingdoms is not a good idea,we have most of the time nations that still exist or nations,not empires or dynasties that ruled the country of a part of it.

What's with the "Civilization X ain't gonna be in G&K because their city Y is alread a city state in the current game"? Is it carved in stone? Is it too difficult to rename a city state? Don't we already know that there will be serious changes to city states?

I find that civs whose unique components are drawn from many periods in that civilisation's history, like Germany, India and Japan are a more interesting and elegant solution than having multiple civs for different dynasties or kingdoms. After all, your rule as controlling god-king for several thousand years doesn't really lend itself to the idea of a particular dynasty.

If Indonesia is included, it could encompass elements of the Majapahit, Srivijaya and others. It would be called "Indonesia" because that's what it's referred to today, much like "Germany" and "India".

What's with the "Civilization X ain't gonna be in G&K because their city Y is alread a city state in the current game"? Is it carved in stone? Is it too difficult to rename a city state? Don't we already know that there will be serious changes to city states?

While that's true for city states that appeared in vanilla Civ 5, like Edinburgh and Amsterdam, I think it's safe to assume that since Jerusalem and Lisbon are new in G&K, that Israel and Portugal are out of the question, at least for this expansion.

Depending, if they are talking about screenshtos/articles in God and Kings, it confirms which civ are unlikely to be added in the EP if they are mentioned, we already know Lisbon eleiminated possibility of Portgual, and I think Jersualem was mentioned, eliminating Israel.

You got to remember this, Dublin and Edinburgh are currently City-States in vanilla, but Celts are taking them over, meaning 2 new militaristic city states are gonna be introduced replacing those two. When DLC came out, Seoul was replaced with Kathmandu or something, and Copenhagen became Sydney.

For exmaple, unless we see Warsaw in one of the screenshots, or articles, we can know that Poland could be added.

And I think Indonesia is out of the question, because Singapore was mentioned somewhere. But not sure if it was just an example or an actual demo.

Depending, if they are talking about screenshtos/articles in God and Kings, it confirms which civ are unlikely to be added in the EP if they are mentioned, we already know Lisbon eleiminated possibility of Portgual, and I think Jersualem was mentioned, eliminating Israel.

You got to remember this, Dublin and Edinburgh are currently City-States in vanilla, but Celts are taking them over, meaning 2 new militaristic city states are gonna be introduced replacing those two. When DLC came out, Seoul was replaced with Kathmandu or something, and Copenhagen became Sydney.

For exmaple, unless we see Warsaw in one of the screenshots, or articles, we can know that Poland could be added.

And I think Indonesia is out of the question, because Singapore was mentioned somewhere. But not sure if it was just an example or an actual demo.

But the capital of Indonesia is Jakarta . And I don't think Poland will make it,because Europe is overrepresented in Civilization V,while Sub Saharan Africa and South America are heavily underrepresented,with ONLY 1 civilization for each one .

Poland would be an interesting choice, because during WWI although Poland was not an independent nation, but Poles had divided loyalties, and did fight for both the Russian Tsar and the Central Powers. I was hoping there will be some sort of WWI DLC after the expansion comes out. I was also thinking that Austria-Hungary could be added as a DLC civ.

Is it also possible that the expansion could have a WWI scenario included though it has not been mentioned? It just seems rather funny not adding a WWI scenario to the expansion, especially when you take all the trouble of adding a new "WWI ERA" to the game. If I was firaxis I would make a WWI DLC as a bonus for preordering Gods and Kings on steam. Just like when I preordered Fall of the Samurai I got the Tsu faction pack.

My guess is that we have heard the end of WWI in some form, there should be a DLC.

I also thought that Australia would make an interesting civ to add to CiV. I would love to see an ANZAC infantry or Light Horse unit. The Light Horsemen did fight in WWI against the Turks.

Even though we have Rome, Italy should be added at some point. I also hope they add a special Red Baron unit to the Germans. Just an idea.

Also this is my first post here. Yay!!:D
First, welcome to CFC! [party]
My list is Poland, Etiopia and Austria or Hungary
Poland: I don't see Poland in this expansion. largely, it's because they're adding the Huns, which are essentially an Eastern European civ. Since they don't want too many from the same region to be released at once, they probably won't have another E. Europe one until the DLCs start comin' again.

Ethiopia: It's either this one or the Zulu. I'd prefer the Zulu since they're a classic, but I could see either one in G&K.

Austria/Hungary: Again, I'd love to see these civs added, but I don't think they will be because of the Celts, Huns, and Dutch already being included from Europe.

My list is Poland, Etiopia and Austria or Hungary

Also this is my first post here. Yay!!:D

Congrats and welcome to the forums! And good choices for civs. In another thread we have talked about seeing Tibet added. I agree, Tibet would be an interesting addition. :)

Top Bottom