H5N1 deadly bird flu found in Turkey (same as killed people in Asia, the one were of)

Gabryel Karolin

Gammelgädda
With a little bad luck this could go straight to hell.

EDIT: The title got messed up because I wrote it too long, but you get the idea. Source: BBC, http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/4337918.stm

Turkey bird flu is deadly strain

Thousands of birds have already been culled in Turkey and Romania
EU states have been urged to stockpile anti-viral drugs after confirmation that the bird flu virus found in Turkey is the H5N1 strain dangerous to humans.
The European Union should be ready for a potential flu pandemic, said Health Commissioner Markos Kyprianou.

The warning came after tests on dead birds in north-west Turkey confirmed the H5N1 strain. An outbreak in Romania is assumed to be the same, the EU said.

The H5N1 strain has killed more than 60 people in South East Asia since 2003.

However, of those only one is suspected to have died after catching the virus from another human.

It is a highly pathogenic and aggressive virus and we in the European Union have to deal with that

Markos Kyprianou
EU Health Commissioner

Your say: Cause for concern?

Those who have been in the presence of dead or dying birds are most likely to become infected, and the chances of human-to-human transmission are still seen as very slim.

Speaking at a news conference, Mr Kyprianou advised seasonal flu vaccination for populations considered to be at risk and said governments should focus on stockpiling anti-viral drugs.

"What is important is that it does become a priority for all member states and that they make an investment for preparing for this event," he said.

Click here to see areas affected by the H5N1 virus
Standard flu vaccines, normally given to young children, the elderly and sick, are unlikely to protect against bird flu.

However, scientists fear that the bird flu virus could mutate into a human pandemic strain if people suffering normal human flu are also infected with the H5N1 type.

QUICK GUIDE

Bird flu

Mr Kyprianou said an emergency meeting would be held on Thursday to discuss what measures to take.

The commissioner confirmed the virus found in the Turkish village of Kiziksa was the deadly strain, adding: "There is a direct relationship with viruses found in Russia, Mongolia and China."

He went on: "It is a highly pathogenic and aggressive virus and we in the European Union have to deal with that."

A 3km (two-mile) quarantine zone is to remain in place around Kiziksa for the next three weeks. Thousands of birds in the area have been culled.

'Under control'

Turkish authorities have urged calm, amid reports of people flocking to pharmacies to buy Tamiflu, the anti-viral believed to be most effective against bird flu.

Health Minister Recep Akdag said the situation was "under control", adding that Ankara was prepared for any possible flu pandemic.

Pharmacies in Romania have also reported a big surge in demand for vaccines against common flu.

The EU moved to ban all bird and poultry products from Romania on Thursday after tests on three ducks which died last week in the Danube delta confirmed the presence of the weaker H5 strain of bird flu.

Tests for the H5N1 strain are expected to be completed on the ducks on Friday.

The EU has also banned the import of live birds and feathers from Turkey until April.

The EU has also banned the import of live birds and feathers from Turkey until April.

Yeah that will work. How did it get there in the first place?

It doesn't look good. I wonder if bird species, worldwide are threatened by this virus.

Me in Europe,me scared.Me also eat chicken no more,suffer a lot.

Cleric said:
Me in Europe,me scared.Me also eat chicken no more,suffer a lot.
You can't get it from eating chicken, even if the chicken was exposed to the virus. It's been cooked. The people in danger are the ones handling the dead birds.

Elrohir said:
You can't get it from eating chicken, even if the chicken was exposed to the virus. It's been cooked. The people in danger are the ones handling the dead birds.

Maybe the Croatians eat raw chickens :mischief:

Anayway, H5N1 in Europe is just a... humbug.

Well I was going to be vacinated against flu anyway...

Bird flu, even mutated into a true killer, wouldn't be too bad for the developed countries with working healthcare system. But in the Third world, well, that will be a real carnage...

Winner said:
Bird flu, even mutated into a true killer, wouldn't be too bad for the developed countries with working healthcare system. But in the Third world, well, that will be a real carnage...
What's not too bad? Just the panic would creat economic caos.

Kayak said:
What's not too bad? Just the panic would creat economic caos.

Sure, but it won't kill such a large number of people. Western countries can cope with it, the developing countries can not.

Winner said:
Maybe the Croatians eat raw chickens :mischief:

Anayway, H5N1 in Europe is just a... humbug.

:lol: raw chicken...thanks I needed that.However I'm still in a little panic attack.But I'll dismiss that on my usual paranoia,this time my theory is that the evil Illuminati are trying to lower the population of Asia with a mutated bird flu.

However if the day comes that flesh eating bacteria by some wild chance becomes easily transmitable(again a work of the Majestic 12)is the day I put a bullet through my skull.

Stages of a Pandemic

The World Health Organization (WHO) has developed a global influenza preparedness plan, which defines the stages of a pandemic, outlines WHO’s role and makes recommendations for national measures before and during a pandemic. The phases are:

Interpandemic period

Phase 1: No new influenza virus subtypes have been detected in humans. An influenza virus subtype that has caused human infection may be present in animals. If present in animals, the risk of human infection or disease is considered to be low.

Phase 2: No new influenza virus subtypes have been detected in humans. However, a circulating animal influenza virus subtype poses a substantial risk of human disease.

Pandemic alert period

Phase 3: Human infection(s) with a new subtype, but no human-to-human spread, or at most rare instances of spread to a close contact.

Phase 4: Small cluster(s) with limited human-to-human transmission but spread is highly localized, suggesting that the virus is not well adapted to humans.

Phase 5: Larger cluster(s) but human-to-human spread still localized, suggesting that the virus is becoming increasingly better adapted to humans, but may not yet be fully transmissible (substantial pandemic risk).

Pandemic period

Phase 6: Pandemic: increased and sustained transmission in general population.

So we are in the phase 3, I guess.

Guess I'll have to carry my flamethrower and a gas mask when I go off to visit my grandma in the village.

*scoffs* I have every intention of dying from mad cow disease long before this silly bird flu ever gets to the US.

ummmm........ said:
*scoffs* I have every intention of dying from mad cow disease long before this silly bird flu ever gets to the US.

:lol: yeah, me too. In fact, I think this panic is overblown, personally I'm not really worried...anybody remember the SARS-panic?

KaeptnOvi said:
:lol: yeah, me too. In fact, I think this panic is overblown, personally I'm not really worried...anybody remember the SARS-panic?

I do. And I wouldn't say it was completely irrational. Imagine SARS with a capability of transimission through the air, and five times as deadly. Even without those traits it managed to spread and kill large number of people (though neglectible compared with overall Earth's population).

Kayak said:
Yeah that will work. How did it get there in the first place?

The incident happened in a place where there is a park called `Bird Paradise`.
Lots of different species emigrate to and from this place. However, the virus first appeared in turkeys. :lol: (Ironical) 2000 of them were destroyed immediately after detection.

There was someone from the WHO on the radio this morning. They reckoned if it went pandemic, best case scenario was 2 - 7 million dead world wide. Could be more of course. Not going to threaten the existance of the human race, but nasty all the same. Ruin economic production as well.

And because these thing affect the old and young, the developed world will still be hard hit with its ageing population. As there is no cure and no drugs for it, healthcare will still be overwhelmed, as the staff get taken ill.

Top Bottom