H5N1 deadly bird flu found in Turkey (same as killed people in Asia, the one were of)

the last information I heard was a suspected 1million victims. But I don't like all this media hype about it, at the moment all these scenarios are pure speculation...
as for cure: there's tamiflu which could possible be used for the time until a vaccine is developped. most countries are now building up their stock of it.

Me worried alot.

If the, unjustly named, "Spanish flu of 1918" (which started off in China btw, not in Spain, the same as the current H5N1) killed 50 million people, more so than WW1 or WWII(separately), we're in for deep trouble.

A spanish scientist working at Mt Sinahi in the US has revealed the genetic structure of the 1918 flu using the frozen corpse of a dead woman in Alaska. It seems both flus are extremely similar, only that 1918s has a few more mutations which enabled it to transmit itself from human-to-human.

The H5N1 has a lethal ratio of 1 in 2 persons or 55%.

Back in 1918 transports (plains, trains, buses, cars you name it) weren't as developed, nowadays ... I was in mass on Sunday and just watching how the priest gave comunion to people makes you scared, it could easily spread in churches.

It is estimated this flu If it finally mutates to human-to-human transmission could kill between 100-200 million, that's almost half the EU. When you guys talk of only 1-2 million dead you are surely not taking into account third world countries were human casualties will be massive. Relenza and Tamiflu don't cure it, there's no cure for it yet, because it still hasn't mutated to the last stage.

The figure I gave was a best case, so obviously it could be a lot more. While I'm sure tamiflu is a valuable medicine in the case of the disease that makes you feel awful for a week, I'll wait until I see it's effect on an entirely new strain with a very high lethal rate before being (edit) reassured.

The reaction to SARS was not an over-reaction. The reaction was entirely appropriate, which is why the disease did not spread further than it did.

Scuffer said:
The reaction to SARS was not an over-reaction. The reaction was entirely appropriate, which is why the disease did not spread further than it did.
I'm not saying that the reaction was an over-reaction. But the accompannying panic "oh god, we're all going to die of SARS, the world's about to end..." was just ridiculous imho.

Same now, with tons of people running to the drugstore trying to get tamiflu....

That's true enough. Then they'll probably get a mild cold, and end up in hospital with a tamiflu overdose!

KaeptnOvi said:
Same now, with tons of people running to the drugstore trying to get tamiflu....

You're right, this is ridiculous. Especially because this drug won't help in case it really mutates :lol:

Top Bottom