Hammer of the North v2 PBEM

Gary J. Durham said:
((As a postscript, anyone tell me what these darned 'Missionaries' are used for in this scenario??))

Since I usually try to equate scenario units with the units from regular Civ that I am more familiar with; Missionaries are basically 'explorers'.

The Scots are open to any and all discussion with other players.

This bastard CivFan server! :mad: :mad: I remember why I don't play here anymore now...

I concoct a long and atmospheric post and the damn thing fails to register and then the Back button loses my last page. (Never happens at CDG, mutter, mutter...). I had even copied it all to clipboard first, but then, when it SEEMED to be posting OK, I copied in something else... :(

Well, I can't be doing all that again, so:

Barbarian raiders dispersed north of Jorvik.

The town of Sutton renamed Plymton (Sutton was near Norvik I think, Morten)

The Fyrd called out to repel the barbarians from across the German Sea.

Attachments

• vikingships.jpg
    vikingships.jpg
    10.6 KB · Views: 264
The various lords and earls of England, hoping soon to be united under a recognised King, announce the formation of an alliance with the Kingdom of the Franks.

Friendly embassies have been recieved from the Saxons too, and negotiations are continuing....:)

793 AD

Charles the Bald is annointed King of the Franks, and salved as custom at Rheims with the holy oil of Clovis. After the premature death of Charlemagne, the once so great Frankish empire is split in several parts. Charles the Bald is intent on re-uniting the Franks under his leadership.

Consequently, the independent town of Cambrai was persuaded to swear their allegiance to King Charles, after promises of gold and prosperity, and offers of protection in these times of uncertainty.

The town of Ypres was founded east of Paris, on the site of the famous St. Bernard Abbey, famous for its collections of rare manuscripts. It is hoped that this town will help administrate the research of this abbey to aid the Frankish Crown.

Following his coronation Frisian emissaries arrived at Paris to ask King Charles for military aid against the heathen Danes, but received little but sympathy. Disturbing things are happening in Hedeby these days, hopefully the wise King Sven will be able to seize power of his vassals within a short time, so that peace will be possible.

While listening to the Frisian complaints, King Charles received fresh reports of landings and raids by other heathens in the North of his realm. Apparently these heathens come from a land far to the North. Emissaries of peace were dispatched, and negotiations proved fruitful. The towns of Bayeux and Cherbourg and their abbeys have been ceded to these so-called Norsemen, in return for protection, and as compensation for 'loss of looting opportunities' in the Frankish empire... so they call it.

King Charles most warmly celebrates the alliance with our Anglo-Saxon friends across the channel, and also welcome the friendly gestures received from Saxony. Hopefully these relations will prove stepping stones towards peace and prosperity in Europe for our realms.

There are few signs of invaders, so, naturally, the entire nation is put on alert.

Monks that could not reach the safety of troop deployments are told to blend into the local populace rather then risk being used to further the cause of the invaders.

The Scots feel woefully unprepared for this conflict. :(

Chief Olav and his henchmen have conducted raids in Scotia and on the Frankish coast.
While capturing Bayeux Olav's men learned the secrets of Monarki and figured that Olav deserved to rule all of the Norse empire as one.
The coronation ceremony will be held in Nidaros and Olav is pleased to invite the Danish soon "also to be king".

Other evetns around the world:

Another new German bishop is assigned to the Northern bishoprics.

Danes

The revolution goes on..
This year the Danish court moved to Hedeby where King Sven of the Danes was crowned. The revolution is not fully won yet, as several Cheifs in Denmark and abroad still doesn't recognise him as the true king of Denmark. However it's expected that in the next few years, the rest of these Chiefs will give in and recognise King Sven.

Peace!
King Sven stretch out hands of peace to the Norsemen, Germans, Franks and to the Scots.

Brittania Whitby and Colchester was raided by ships and a group o monks was plundered. An assault on Thetford by Danish horsemen proved unsuccessfull, only harming the defence in the city.

Normandy
The Danish invaders are withdrawing..

Frisland
Frisian troops that sieged Utrecht was slaugtered. The Frisian king himself is still sieging the city to the south though. No attacks on him were made though.

Baltic
Wismar, Stralsund and Wollin was occupied. Pommern is ours!

Domestic matters
King Sven is strenghtening the defences of Denmark. A big fleet of warriors has been sent to Frisland as king Sven claims the throne there..

GAME ON!

Arthedain said:
King Sven stretch out hands of peace to the Norsemen, Germans, Franks and to the Scots.
The Franks are pleased to hear that the siege of Rouen has been lifted, and that the Danes have retreated from Normandy altogether.

Alas, we cannot accept the Danish offer of peace, as heathen Danish chiefs are slaughtering our Anglo-Saxon brothers-in-arms. We request king Sven to cease hostilities in England and seek terms for a peace treaty. Until then the Franks will meet Danish forces landing on Frankish soil as their enemy.

The Council of English Earls thanks our Frankish brothers-in-arms for their loyalty - we were worried lest these Danish blandishments drove a wedge into our alliance.

A more concrete recognition for Frankish honour will soon be on its way across the Narrow Seas.....

We think it may suit all of our needs best... should you contact and chat... as a fellow King... as to what your long term intentions are prior to proclaiming yourself King of Friesland. As we've a decent relationship between our two peoples, I'm sure we'd both like this relationship to mature in friendship. Obviously, armed conflict upon our borders are of interest to our domain.

The elder leaders of Schwein (sp?), apparently nervous of recent Danish advances upon their neighbors, break down and end a 30 year negotiation, swearing allegiance to Otto, King of the Germanies.

I notice we are playing at Deity level. Is that intentional? It could cause some weird effects....

No English attacks this year, but our Fyrd is gathering from all over the country, and the Council is spending lavishly on new troops...

The whole country is in ferment of excitement at the news that the Council is meeting to elect a King and War-leader against the Danes. No new taxes are being collected, as there is not yet a King in whose name to collect them!

Our Monks are fleeing from the coasts, to avoid capture by the remorseless heathens...

The Council sends gifts to the Franks, as promised, and we also send an offer to the Norsemen, which they should find of interest ;) , in earnest of our good faith in negotiations.

Ah. Re-reading it, I see you specified LazyCiv. CivDip is MUCH better, it can do all LazyCiv can do and much more (trade any techs, money, units or cities, and repair production queues a la LazyCiv...)

But I won't use it unless we are all agreed.

Just edited my post above to include links where to get it, and the JVR required -

I think we should all use this for the future - for pbem diplomacy (diplo-deals, automaps, repairs, etc) it seems extremely useful. - LacyCiv is probably still easier though (quicker to use), for repairing production queues. Especially in a game with as much conquest as this one.

- It seems, though, as if civ2dip also resets the name and gender of leaders ??? - this is a minor setback though to all the benefits of the util, IMO.

Gonna play my turn at now :) - I find that we are in a really interesting situation in this game - looking forward to see how it will resolve. I especially find that the tech-by-conquest rule leads to interesting strategies when playing with human players (tech trades are quite a concern, for instance, as revealed during some of our negotiations - if one trades with a partner exposed to attack by enemies - this seems scarily real to me !)

Top Bottom