Has anyone tried this: Target buildings for bombardment?

vorius

Warlord
I started getting back into Civ4 after many months of absence- I didnt even get a chance to playa round with the SDK yet. Anyway, I always wanted the ability for bombarding units- especially bombers- to be able to target a city's improvement for a chance to destroy it.

I looked at some of the code from the SDK and I think I know what to do but I just wanted to make sure if anyone else did this work already. How would I find out? I did a little search for "target improvements" on the ModPacks forum and I didnt see anything specific to it, just some big threads which no doubt have those two words in there somewhere.

Otherwise if I have to go ahead and do this myself, any tips in how to get such a feature working with the AI as well? It looks like it would be pretty straightforward to get this feature just working for the player but not sure about the AI side of things...

I guess I'd either start with GerikSpells Framework or talchas' Fall from Heaven Spell system. Both components allow the targeting of units. I guess it would be easy to modify them to accept buildings instead of units as targets.

On second thought, Dale's combat mod probably is what you're looking for.

1. Ranged Field Bombardment:
In Civ IV the decision was made to change how bombarding units function. They lost the ability to bombard in the field (or ocean) other units. This rendered bombarding units as attacking units with their ability to cause collateral damage. The combat mod returns bombarding units to a defensive unit with the return of field/ocean/coastal bombardment. Further, bombarding units can bombard units, improvements and cities. With the ranged ability these units can now bombard a number of tiles away. EG: Artillery and battleships can now bombard 2 tiles away. This functionality is possible on any unit with a simple addition to the unit’s XML definition.

Top Bottom