Have you EVER had the AI say 'yes' to a demand?

All the time. Mid to late game if I'm flush with cash they ask for it a lot.

That's Asking, not Demanding. I recall in Vanilla Harun saying things like "Your weak army can't stop me, so give me money or I'll come and get it". Bismarck said it in the first view we had of CiV as well.

I recall in Vanilla Harun saying things like "Your weak army can't stop me, so give me money or I'll come and get it". Bismarck said it in the first view we had of CiV as well.

I have never seen that! Would be fun. I am curious about what the diplo modifiers would have been with either answer.

Yes I have. The problem I have is knowing how much to ask for.

Same question.

I tried it once. I was 1st or 2nd in army and ask Dido for gold. She accepted. It was ridiculous, something like 50 gold and 5 gpt. I took Hippo Regus a few turns later. :D

I tried again in another game. I had something like «you need to walk on my body». I did. :D

On option, like asking tribute, would be nice.

It seems to me that if you make a demand which is honored that you should be prevented from DoWing for 10 turns.

It's pretty strange. I never use the demand option myself in Civ 5, so I wouldn't know. In Civ 3, I once tried demanding from Korea. Wang Kon always refused, despite having been reduced by me in a previous war to only one crappy city, and despite me only asking for 1 gold.

But in skummelhustler's playlist of leader videos on Youtube, one of the things he does with every civ is demand from them. Many say no, but a few say yes. Short of asking him directly, there's no way of knowing whether he was stronger than that civ when he made that video, how much stronger he was, etc.

...open borders for free, wuhu!

Didn't take that much to convince him - military dominance, a few units on his borders - he's not even afraid as shown on the screenshot. I just wiped out a Civ (and made a city-state conquer its last city so I didn't take the diplomacy hit :lol:), he'll of course still be the next one to fall.. wich is somewhat interesting, because I'm playing as Greece - now, THAT'S history rewritten.

...open borders for free, wuhu!

Didn't take that much to convince him - military dominance, a few units on his borders - he's not even afraid as shown on the screenshot. I just wiped out a Civ (and made a city-state conquer its last city so I didn't take the diplomacy hit :lol:), he'll of course still be the next one to fall.. wich is somewhat interesting, because I'm playing as Greece - now, THAT'S history rewritten.

Lol'd :lol:

About topic, demand thing never worked for me. Actually, I barely use it.

The AI can only ask, where we can only demand.

Very rarely, unfriendly AI will make a demand, but this is very uncommon.

Asking on the other hand is a "Secret AI move" designed to make life a little easier for AIs and harder for players (though at least the AI actually likes you for giving in).

I never use the demand screen unless I'm just trying to piss off the AI. Besides that, the only AI I ever see afraid of me is Montezuma right after I wipe someone out/get nukes, and I can only get something small out of him. Don't see much use in it.

+1 strong AI Civs trying to extort the player would be exiting! I've never seen that happen though, even when playing a Vanilla map on a pangea handpicked with warmongers.

The nearest thing to this is the early game DoF offer from your warmonger neighbour.

When you get down to it, this is nothing more than menaces money.

The declaration of friendship means they probably won't attack you for the next 30 turns

(BNW seems far less willing to backstab - in fact i've never been backstabbed in a BNW game, in GNK I had a game where Dido DoWed/Peaced/Friended/Backstabbed every 20 turns into the Atomic era, her Diplo modifiers couldn't have been good)

In return, in the next couple of turns your "friend" is almost guaranteed to ask for "help" in the form of

a) any luxes you have two copies of, for free

or

b) half your gold

or

c) half your GPT

.... because he can barely afford to rush buy his eighth battering ram/ballista etc.

AFAIK you get a massive diplo hit with everyone if you ever refuse a demand for help, so i never refuse. TBH, they only ask for resources you have that are in surplus so they're never crippling, i tend to see it as a planning failure on my part if i forget to sell spare luxes or have large sums of gold around unspent.

As a rather passive player, I must admit the BNW AI is a little too nice for my taste. I set up a really nice defensive position, chokepoints, strategically place a small but elite army, but the attack never comes because the "you provided help when they asked for it" and "forgave them for spying" modifiers turn these purple-faced, foaming-at-the-mouth nutjobs into certified, Woodstock-attending, flowers-in-the-hair hippies.

OFC, if not going Liberty i prefer to buy Settlers, this can delay that and cause me to loose out on a prime city location. If I'm worried about this , i refuse the friendship offer and get ready to be attacked...

AFAIK you get a massive diplo hit with everyone if you ever refuse a demand for help, so i never refuse.
In vanilla you got a diplo-hit with the civ that asked for help, but no global diplo hit. They changed that though, refusing to help doesn't give a diplo-hit anymore, but giving them what they "need" will give you quite a bonus on diplomacy. I think it's +30(?) and one of the 5 best modifiers you can get overall.

b) half your gold
c) half your GPT

AFAIK you get a massive diplo hit with everyone if you ever refuse a demand for help, so i never refuse. TBH, they only ask for resources you have that are in surplus so they're never crippling, i tend to see it as a planning failure on my part if i forget to sell spare luxes or have large sums of gold around unspent.

There is a small (light red) hit with the civ that asked, not with any other civ. They can ask for quite a lot of money, and if you happen to be at the end of a golden age, saying test to the GPT request will cripple you.

I've never been able to demand from an AI. I remember one time in BNW I was playing as Russia and the end of the game was near (I had at most twenty turns before my last two rocket parts were done) and I had spent my time ripping Alexander several structurally dubious rear ends. He kept declaring war and each time I'd stomp him and forced him back a little (he was the only person I ever fought except for repelling one Siamese invasion around 1000 AD). He was over two eras behind and down to three remaining cities in the frozen wastelands of the north.
I decided to try my luck at demanding one time as it had never worked before, so I parked several tanks (many upgraded from cossacks) outside of his borders, sent in a nuclear equipped aircraft carrier and a seasoned battleship, and had a contingent of paratroopers ready to cut off his retreat if his border patrol fell back.
So I called him up and made one simple demand, something so small and miniscule that if he didn't take it I'd have to kill him on general principle. A single piece of gold. One coin from his stockpile of about 100.
He said no.
It took me three turns to reduce all three of his last cities into a charred mess of irradiated sludge. And leave all of them razing as my troops marched somberly from the sight of the greatest massacre they had ever laid eyes upon.
All for one piece of gold.

Ryika seems to be correct. You must be on neutral or good terms with them for a demand to work. Which is kind of paradoxical because making a trade demand worsens relations, therefore making it less likely to work in the future. More importantly, it is ironic that the only civs who would give in to your demands are civs that are on good terms with you, which are usually the last civs you want to make demands of, as it would worsen relations. The civs that hate you, which are the ones you actually want to make demands of, are the ones least likely to give in to you. Strange, isn't it?

I believe I was guarded when I had demanded it from China, but I suppose it could have still be neutral, but it has been a while. However, I was playing Emperor level, and was warmongering, so they likely were guarded.

For me the AI made TONS of demands in Vanilla (3-5 per game) made a few in GaK (1 per game) and I have yet to see a single demand in BNW, but the amount of people begging me for stuff has sharply risen. Just my experience.

So yea.. AI saying yes to a demand was so unlikely to me.. I had more chances of getting a declaration of friendship..

I believe I was guarded when I had demanded it from China, but I suppose it could have still be neutral, but it has been a while. However, I was playing Emperor level, and was warmongering, so they likely were guarded.

In my last game, playing as Germany going for autocratic diplomacy victory, I tore a highly successful Egypt down in a war, leaving them with only one city.

However, just a few turns before the UN vote that would give me diplomatic victory, the Shoshone declared war on the weakened Egypt and sent a massive army. Egypt was the only civ remaining for me to get influential over, so if the Shoshone wiped them out I'd win a cultural victory. I tried to get open borders with Egypt so that I could surround their last city with my units. No luck. Even when I was doing it so that they would live. I think I tried demanding it too and it failed. Oh well, cultural victory it was then.

Top Bottom