Have you ever lost your Capital?

I once got double dow'd early by Suleiman and Darius in the early game as the aztecs. I fought hard, but lost my capital. Threw everything I had getting it back, and almost did. I then lost my only remaining city.

Then I was playing Byzantines one game, and got gobbled up by Suleiman.

I've lost probably 3 or 4 times, and every time Suleiman has had SOMETHING to do with it.

So....

The answer is "No."

Nobody has ever lost their capitol and come back to win the game? I'm guessing a Culture win is out in that case, but I would think Diplomatic or Science or Domination would all still be viable.

So....

The answer is "No."

Nobody has ever lost their capitol and come back to win the game? I'm guessing a Culture win is out in that case, but I would think Diplomatic or Science or Domination would all still be viable.

One of the times I lost my capitol I came back and won (Diplo iirc). It's much less damaging in CIV than previous Civ's to lose your capitol.

Nope. When my cities begin to fall it is usually game over and exit to main menu. On immortal you cannot afford almost a single setback. If you do, you are screwed. Its like chess. Most of the time you surrender the game when you realize it is lost.

I lost my capital once on an Deity domination only game as Korea, back when Korea was first released. We were on a huge Pangaea map with only 4 civilizations, and this was back in the day when wide empires were still really nice.

Siam had been at war with me for a pretty long time and they finally started using nuclear weapons. Luckily the combat AI sucked, my cities were spread pretty far apart, and connection between our empires was only somewhat larger than chokepoint sized, so I was able to hold out pretty well for the 100 or so turns while I played the tech catch-up game. They barely managed to capture Seoul after nuking it repeatedly. Unluckily for them, I finished researching Stealth about 5 turns later and I had a few production cities left. Since the computer sucks at air combat, cue the massive turnaround and eventual victory.

One of the times I lost my capitol I came back and won (Diplo iirc). It's much less damaging in CIV than previous Civ's to lose your capitol.

Did you recapture your original capitol? Or did you win without it? Now that would be something... winning without your original capitol!

I've lost probably 3 or 4 times, and every time Suleiman has had SOMETHING to do with it.

He likes doing that. All friendly until he gets Janissary, then he wants to fight. :rolleyes:
They are terrific units btw, but AI uses them badly. :(

So....

The answer is "No."

Wasn't it changed in BNW where you have to control all capitals to win a Domination VC?

Anyway, yes, I've lost my capital before at least once. One of the most memorable occasions that I lost it was one of the funnest games I've ever had on Civ. Me and Suleiman teamed up against Japan and they defeated us both, and I lost my capital. :(

i've had one non cap win back in vanilla, i was close to launch the SS. 2 or 3 parts left, and everybody DOWs you rightaway, oh those vanilla AIs. Lost my cap and the spaceship magically transported to my 2nd city where i was building my last piece. The experience is worse than actually lost the game, i feel like cheating.

Yes. It sucks. I had a 16 pop capital get taken. Once I recaptured, the pop went down to 4. Game over for me.

The population reduction has always been odd to me.

If you are conquering a city you want a high population for a stronger city anyway.

I just lost my Capital in my current Assyria game because of Alex rushing with his unique spearman and comp bows. I lost it, but I reclaimed it the next turn. My 6 pop Capital is now 1 pop and lost it's monument and royal library. That sucks, but I have 3 other quality cities I founded since I rapidly expanded and I can catch up tech wise by getting revenge on Alex and conquering his cities.

So, I am going to stick with this game and try to win it, despite losing my Capital briefly. This is King difficulty by the way, on Immortal and Diety, this could be game over probably.

Well, just mass produced siege towers and myself and Austria declared war on Greece. Burned Corinth to the ground, and captured Athens and left Alex with Sparta, because I don't want the extreme warmonger penalty of wiping out a Civ just yet. Yeah, going to go for a domination victory now.

Sure, I've lost my capital... a number of times. It was a good learning experience... which seemed to not set in the first few times it happened. :lol:

The problem is sending my army out to explore and knock out barbarians as requested by city states. When, I should have keep more closer to home.

Who has my blood on their hands? Let's see... Celts, Swedes, Huns (learned to appreciate those battering rams). I know they have all walked over my corpse.

Have recaptured my capital, but by then the blood is in the water and more civs are after me. Time to start a new game.

I just won my Assyria game, domination victory on turn 290. Not bad, considering I lost my Capital to Alex at the start of the game. But Assyria seems like quite a strong Civ which you can abuse siege towers and acquire tech after every conquest. Maybe if I rolled a different Civ, things may have played out differently?

dont know if this counts but i got my capital sacked by barbarians in my first game as poland and came back to win. You dont lose the city but it certainly was embarrassing I had sent all my warriors to grief the aztecs and like three different barbarians camps all started sending ships warriors and axemen at my capital until they managed to sack it. That is why you should listen to your military advisor when he tells you you're stupid because you have no units in your territory. Won by culture i think

Several times. The story was always the same:

>early game, still ancient era
>montezuma is right next to my capital
>oh, so you have 15 jaguars marching towards me
>capital is kill

Several times. The story was always the same:

>early game, still ancient era
>montezuma is right next to my capital
>oh, so you have 15 jaguars marching towards me
>capital is kill

Used to happen to me quite often - and the Huns were similar as well until I realised I had to prioritise military units when I was next to them...

However - my one most embarrassing Civ moment EVER was when I lost my capital to barbarians before Id even built a unit - 4 barb archers and some warriors and a spearman took it. Where the heck did they all spawn from??!

At least I got the "and then he threw a car at my head" achievement...

NOOB!!!

Many times. I kept playing regardless once as Rome because my new capital was in a better spot than the old and I thought it would be cool to wage a multi-generational war of revenge to recapture the original capital from the new base. Unfortunately for my Count Belisarius fantasies another huge army took out that city a few turns later and it was goodnight Vienna.

Top Bottom