Here's an idea..Hey 2K/Friaxis...you delivered a beta product...give us free DLC

ImperialGuard

Prince
This was an attempt at humor....

This is not a CIV 5 bash, I got the game last night, and I'm loving it :)

I was kinda worried after reading all the "bashing" in the forums, but it's kinda overblown in my opinion, a new game with a new approach.... just want I wanted !

But the quality of the product we purchased is sub-par .....

• lots of simple bugs that should have been easily fixed
  • graphic problems (e.g. rivers and roads -->no need to say more)
  • lots of manual/civopdeia issues
  • UI issues
  • game setup and configuration options missing
  • no worldbuilder, modding tools

I have no doubt they'll fix it all, but "out of the box" this is a product that I would expect from an indie developer, not a corporate entity like 2K/Friaxis.

So I think 2K/Friaxis should "man up" and release some free DLC (like the map packs and Babylon Civ) to apologize for their poor quality release.

[course I could be dreaming, as they already have our money and don't really care about the customer .....]

I like how people from 2K hardly post here anymore after game release day.....

Game is in better shape than Civ3/4 when they first came out, but yeah... lots work need to be done.

:lol:
They will never do such a thing.They will milk us over and over with DLCs:nuke:

rivers and roads (no need to say more)

Actually there is need to say more... what's wrong with rivers and roads? I searched the tech support forum for "river" and got no hits. Am I missing something?

Edit: Searched bug reports forum - still nothing. What's wrong with rivers?

For video games beta is / has been for a while the finished product.

Actually there is need to say more... what's wrong with rivers and roads? I searched the tech support forum for "river" and got no hits. Am I missing something?

In my opinion, they look horrible, you have all this well rendered, and artful (?) terrain and then you have this blue blotch for a river, and where the river meets the ocean, YUCK :cry:

Why can't the rivers have the same look and feel as the oceans, the oceans are beautiful !

And the roads....I saw a screenshot of a road in a hex next to the ocean, and the road is displayed through the entire hex and into the ocean a little bit

It's not really a bug, just a common complaint about the art direction. The way they rendered rivers is bad, especially the part where it spills out into the sea. It's hardly game-breaking though. I think people make way too big a deal over it.

It's not really a bug, just a common complaint about the art direction. The way they rendered rivers is bad, especially the part where it spills out into the sea. It's hardly game-breaking though. I think people make way too big a deal over it.

Agreed, no game breaker ... but that's the point ... there is no way 2K/Friaxis looks at the rivers and says "Man .... they are so awesome looking !!"

No, definitely someone said, "we can't afford to delay the release, let's ship it with crappy rivers and maybe we'll fix it later"

I think we should be thanksfully... in spite of some problem and bug, it's a polished release imo. The game never crashes... no compatibility problems... maybe we were expecting too much?
I hope only that the quick fix MP(letting us play like SP games if we want to), that is really "dumbed down", then some rebalancing and AI fix... and then some good idea for expansions (that i would surely buy) to add a little more depth (as it was for civ IV).

we will be happy in the future years with this civ

I like how people from 2K hardly post here anymore after game release day.....

Yea, I remember Greg saying he "wouldn't be around much after the release for a while" .....

I thought his job was community manager ? I not sure why he wouldn't be around ...

He's just smart though, knowing he'd be lynched if you showed up after the release :lol:

Ok - thanks. I don't pay close enough attention to the graphics I guess. Hell if I could make the 2-D view just a little more informative I'd probably play the game using that. :lol:

Yea, I remember Greg saying he "wouldn't be around much after the release for a while" .....

I thought his job was community manager ? I not sure why he wouldn't be around ...

He's just smart though, knowing he'd be lynched if you showed up after the release :lol:

Just maybe he has other responsibilities considering the game just came out . . . I bet he has to do things other than lurking message boards if he expects 2K to give him money.

Seriously, you weren't around for the CivIV release, were you? I couldn't get the game to load at all for a week (or until one of the first patches came out). This release is downright pristine in comparison.

What really gets me is that they're probably spending a ton on support. You know, if you release a less buggy product, you don't need as much support, and you'll have a lot fewer people who are pissed off because the (overloaded) support sucks.

One really telling sign to me is that their "Knowledge Base" for the game is laughably tiny, and there's no detailed troubleshooting at all, from what I can tell. That just says to me that they didn't test it thoroughly.

What really gets me is that they're probably spending a ton on support. You know, if you release a less buggy product, you don't need as much support, and you'll have a lot fewer people who are pissed off because the (overloaded) support sucks.

One really telling sign to me is that their "Knowledge Base" for the game is laughably tiny, and there's no detailed troubleshooting at all, from what I can tell. That just says to me that they didn't test it thoroughly.

Why do people feel the need to compare this release to the Civ IV release? If anything they should have learnt from previous mistakes and improved on it.

There's always bugs when the game is released.

You can either a) Buy the game right away, and enjoy it with the bugs or b) wait a year or so until they get around to patching it/possible expansions to sort the bugs out.

I just finished my first game, on all the "standard" settings with the highest graphic performance. I didn't encounter any glitches. The bugs I encountered were the type that are fairly typical for any game release, certainly not game-breaking (the over-capitulating AI is the most severe I've seen).

I can't see how anyone could consider this a "beta," but I guess that's just opinion. It's a complete game, whether or not one is entirely happy with the features of it.

Top Bottom