HOF V3 - Age of Heros

I think the main issue with the victory conditions is that VP totals only really change with the total collapse of one side. Looking at the histogram at the end, the score ratios were consistent throughout the entire game, and didn't ever fluctuate, despite how fluid the game actually was. There was no bump for Germany/Minor Axis when they were at their maximum extent in the East, occupying Tula, Voronezh, the Caucasus, and even Ufa at one point. Likewise, my late-game push into Poland and the Ukraine went unnoticed on the scoreboard.

I'm interested actually - how strongly were Konigsberg and Berlin defended on the last turn? I had everything set in motion for an attack on Berlin next turn (which I thought was the last turn :crazyeye:): A few assorted armoured vehicles and ~10-15 bombers in Riga, and a Mech Infantry Div lurking on a boat in the Baltic which could have reached Berlin if I took Konigsberg. Would have been a pretty fun way to cap it all off, if it worked! :lol:

Well I think that might have done it Bow...which incidently would bring the capture of Berlin in.....1945. HHmmmm......

I think you're over-playing the cost of the plane and fuel. Ground troops still need to be transported also. Whether by plane, ship, or transport (or all three). Then there's the time cost and the food and care for the ground troops. Sending 150 Paratroopers 4,000 miles safely in a week by plane is probably about the same as sending 150 Infantry over land the same distance. And yes, I still think you should reduce the turns to one week, instead of one month.

Make a new rule where the range of the paratrooper is the amount of tiles equal to 4,000 miles in a week's turn. England to India = 4,000 miles. Shipping men from Canada to England to India = 2 weeks.

The problem regarding the Para Divs is all about the "inherent" transport ability built into the unit as it is. Its just too cheap and gives the Para Unit an unrealistic movement capability in the 1940s. Again it took every C-47 and glider the Allies had built up for 2 years just to airlift 3 Airborne Divisions across the Channel in 1944. That came at the expense of every other airlift mission. In my mind the Para Div should be the most expensive unit to build in the game. And the Airborne Divs never "had" their own aircraft to move them. And they still don't!

Ooh, I think I have a solution for paras. There's a cargo plane unit in CCM that could be incorporated into HOF. No attack or defense, just a unit transport capacity of 1.

Just turn off Airlift for them and use transport planes!

Ooh, I think I have a solution for paras. There's a cargo plane unit in CCM that could be incorporated into HOF. No attack or defense, just a unit transport capacity of 1.

Just turn off Airlift for them and use transport planes!

I was thinking along the same lines. I found Wyrmshadow's beautiful C47 which
even has a glider release animation. No such luck for the Axis, no Junkers or
Fokker tri-motors, will probably have to use the Ford Tri-motor. Of course I can
never allow the AI to use these kinds of units, they could drop marines and God
only knows what else.

Attachments

• c47s.JPG
    c47s.JPG
    75.5 KB · Views: 217
One thing I was thinking about when playing as the Germans, that they didn't have a 4th option of tank warfare, which is needed since the Germans had far advanced tanks than the other nations. It is basically just a modified Tiger tank, just better. I would also give it bombard ability to reflect the long range attack it had.

One thing I was thinking about when playing as the Germans, that they didn't have a 4th option of tank warfare, which is needed since the Germans had far advanced tanks than the other nations. It is basically just a modified Tiger tank, just better. I would also give it bombard ability to reflect the long range attack it had.

Interesting thought CH. The Germans had the most innovative armor designs in the war. No other nation had the imagination to improvise armored vehicles like the Germans. The next nation was Russia. And probably no other armored vehicle had the impact that the T-34 had. That is the exception. But the Germans had the Mobile Arty platforms down better than anyone else up until the time in 44 when the Allied Strategic Bombing Campaign choked the German arms industry down to near nothing.
It seems to me though not having played the Germans much that their research tree should be cheaper due to their immense industrial abilities DESPITE all the bombing.

I was thinking along the same lines. I found Wyrmshadow's beautiful C47 which
even has a glider release animation. No such luck for the Axis, no Junkers or
Fokker tri-motors, will probably have to use the Ford Tri-motor. Of course I can
never allow the AI to use these kinds of units, they could drop marines and God
only knows what else.

True Eric but it would probably be fun to see how it would be used!!:crazyeye:

Cyc,
You've been so quiet???

Don't know if you have access to Directv but if so....you HAVE TO watch....Joe Walsh:Guitar Center Sessions!!!! :band:

Geez he STILL has it! Amazing stuff that I know you'd enjoy. Let me know if you don't have Directv.

Sully

Interesting thought CH. The Germans had the most innovative armor designs in the war. No other nation had the imagination to improvise armored vehicles like the Germans. The next nation was Russia. And probably no other armored vehicle had the impact that the T-34 had. That is the exception. But the Germans had the Mobile Arty platforms down better than anyone else up until the time in 44 when the Allied Strategic Bombing Campaign choked the German arms industry down to near nothing.
It seems to me though not having played the Germans much that their research tree should be cheaper due to their immense industrial abilities DESPITE all the bombing.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't German industrial output actually top out in '44?

Cyc,
You've been so quiet???

Don't know if you have access to Directv but if so....you HAVE TO watch....Joe Walsh:Guitar Center Sessions!!!! :band:

Geez he STILL has it! Amazing stuff that I know you'd enjoy. Let me know if you don't have Directv.

Sully

Sully, I don't own a TV. But I'm sure Joe is still banging out some great music. Hiring Joe was one of the best things the Eagles did.

Thanks for the heads up on the show, tho. :goodjob:

Attachments

• HOF_V4_biqs.zip
    672.2 KB · Views: 221
Here's the list of changes from V3.0 to V4, some of these were
already in the Heros game which was V3.16.

Minor Allied Infantry divisions now require rubber to build. Since there is no
rubber in China this makes keeping the Burma road open vital to the Allied
war effort. Without rubber the only infantry divisions produced in China will
be the ones auto-produced by Stillwell's training camp.

Added new unit graphics for IJN light carrier and IJN destroyer, IJN CLAA, Kongo
class BB and British Dido class CLAA.

Added 2 air transport units, 1 for Allies and 1 for Axis. Made Para divisions more
costly, can no longer airlift or drop without air transport unit.

Added Flak tower City improvement for fascist govs. 4 main cities in Germany
and 2 cities in Italy have towers at start,

Added Iron Ore treasure unit.

Added great wonder, Kiruna Mine in Narvik, autoproduces iron every 3 turns.

Reduced number of foreign workers in Germany, added more flak units, added worker in Norway.

Norway made more productive, larger population, more mines roads & factories

Added 1 more worker for Minor Axis.

Increased attack strength of IJN destroyers by 1 (long lance torpedoes)

Increased bombard strength of US destroyers by 1 (Radar)

Added hospital in Leningrad

Nature government tech change from feudalism to nature_tech to prevent
other AI controlled civs from switching to nature government.

Added civilopedia entries for AI assist wonders and new units

Reduced the number of Blizzard producing Russian cities, but keep number of
starting blizzards the same (this is to simulate how unprepared the Germans were
for the winter of 41-42, but were better equipped in later years).

Added new units (eg BB Kongo) to stealth attack lists for all subs.

Excellent work Eric. I just wish there had been a way to add the long range type of scout/patrol flying boats like the PBY and Mavis/Emily and Condor types. With long range and 4 tile "seeing" capability. Have always thought it would add something to the scenario......

I'll download and test drive these out next week. Good work!!

Sully, I don't own a TV. But I'm sure Joe is still banging out some great music. Hiring Joe was one of the best things the Eagles did.

Thanks for the heads up on the show, tho. :goodjob:

Really Cyc.....NO TV???? And since the game ended I've missed our classic rock posts!

Lets try this out and see what happens.

EDIT. The U-Boat Works says that it produces one unit a turn, when in reality is one every two turns, so that is just a simple rectification.

EDIT2. I have checked the previous version of the game and found out the Benghazi was connected to the trade network, but now it is not. Is that meant to be? It seems to correct itself on the second turn, but often the first turn is extremely vital/

EDIT3. The infantry div still doesn't require Iron and Rubber like the Infantry Corp does, so I think that is a miss.

EDIT4. There seems to be a problem with the Dutch East Indies Oil Company. Just look at what it says.

Attachments

• Bengazi 1.jpg
    Bengazi 1.jpg
    239.6 KB · Views: 204
  • Bengazi 2.jpg
    Bengazi 2.jpg
    229.2 KB · Views: 222
  • Dutch East Indies Oil.jpg
    Dutch East Indies Oil.jpg
    233.3 KB · Views: 184
Lets try this out and see what happens.

EDIT. The U-Boat Works says that it produces one unit a turn, when in reality is one every two turns, so that is just a simple rectification.

EDIT2. I have checked the previous version of the game and found out the Benghazi was connected to the trade network, but now it is not. Is that meant to be? It seems to correct itself on the second turn, but often the first turn is extremely vital/

EDIT3. The infantry div still doesn't require Iron and Rubber like the Infantry Corp does, so I think that is a miss.

EDIT4. There seems to be a problem with the Dutch East Indies Oil Company. Just look at what it says.

I can fix edit 1 in the civilopedia, 2 and 4 are known bugs in the program.
Only minor allied infantry division requires rubber, German or minor axis do not.

Top Bottom