Honors Arcane Mastery Mod in Wildmana - A Closer Examination

Tascani

Chieftain
Hello community.

Honors Arcane Mastery Mod in Wildmana - A Closer Examination

Summary:
This post will have a closer look on the Honors Arcane Mastery Mod (in the following described as "module") as merged in Wildmana (WM) will try to make clear that the level requirements in the module should be reconsidered, means lowered or even cut.
The focus lies on the module as merged in WM, not the stand-alone module.

Additional Information about the module can be found here:
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=324171&page=4

Fulltext:

I really like the idea and design of the module as it seems to fit very well in the world of FFH 2 and thus WM. The idea of becoming a Master of Elements by mastering Earth, Air, Water and Fire and being rewarded with more powerfull seems like a good thing.
The only downside I can see is, that it is "just another toy" for the human player as the AI may never understand how to make it through such a complicated system of promotions (heavy and "unfair" bonuses left aside). But if I follow the thought of the question if the AI can learn that or not I understand why FFH 2 is in feature-lock.
As we are talking about a FFH 2 mod here, we can leave that issue - at least to a certain degree - aside. I see WM at least partially as a pioneer in "improving the gameplay in Erebus".

Now that I clearified the general motivation I will pursue the goal of making the module a better part of WM.

I will take the promotion "Master of the Elements" as an example to examine its viability for the gameplay. An assumption I take into account is " risk/effort vs. reward".

"Master of the Elements" - Promotionbreakdown:

Needs:
Air I, II, III
Earth I, II, III
Fire I, II, III
Water I, II, III
____________ 12
Master of Fire and Water
Master of Earth and Air
____________ 14
Master of the Elements
____________ 15 Promotions (total)

To be able to get the Master of the Elements Promotion the caster needs to be at least level 12.

Gives (total):
minor buffs to the caster
two very good spells (see link above for detailed information)

Risk/Effort vs. Reward:

The problem I see is that the effort/risk to gain an arcane unit with all that promotions is pretty hard enough.

Lets see how many mana nodes (palace mana not taken into account) we need to get the Elemental-sphere-promotions for free.

4 Level I Spells need 8 Mana Nodes
4 Level II Spells need 12 Mana Nodes
4 Level III Spells need 16 Mana Nodes

Sure that you can lower these numbers with palace and strategic upgrading (Adept>Mage ...) but I think that you will agree that it is quite an effort to gain 15 Promotions. We have no Combat nor Mobility Promotions by then.

However, as big as your effort in stockpiling mana, strategic mana trading, building mana wonders, strategic upgrading, using WM Spellbooks (which is an astonishing synergy with the module) is - you still have the level requirement.

Level 12 means:
122 xp (IIRC)
or
100 xp with Charismatic Trait

I see that this is okay with heros: Hemah, Grigori Charismatic Hero-Mage. But heros (exception: Grigori) can't be upgraded strategically - means you will spend more promotions on Elemental-Spheres.

Even Arcane Units (IIRC) with the Potency Promotion don't get free xp after they reached 110 xp. To get a usual Archmage even there is pretty hard.

Sure you can go and get some cannon/xp-fodder for your mages, but then you will be in the situation of playing the game in order to create an uber-mage not actually to win the game with the help of the uber-mage.
Getting a Master of Elements-Mage (or sth. similar) can "never" be part of a winning strategy and I'm not talking about getting the Omnipotence Promotion with level 20 requirement and a total of 63 promotions :)lol: is that even possible? Max. is 1000 xp - at least in the Worldbuilder IIRC).

To sum it up:
I think that the effort is way too high to get a reward that still could affect the game.
I'm aware of the fact that you don't have to achieve "Omnipotence" in every game. But the lowest worthwile tier (like Master of Elements) should be possible without too much effort.
I have some ideas back here in my head to make the module more ... "playable" but thats something for later.

Result:

To make the module a worthwile merge - please cut the level requirements.
With the addition of spellbooks and wise actions its getting possible to gain the interesting promotions added via the module.

I'm looking forward to any comments, feedback and falsifications.

Greets
Tascani

It's rather difficult to 'cut the level requirements', as you say, as the promotions you could feasibly get don't actually HAVE a level requirement (at least, not that I remember), just a promotion requirement.

When I merged it into RifE, I made the initial "Master of" promotions (Fire and Water, etc) come free when you had it's prereqs. That does quite a bit to help, but maybe not enough?

In any case, autoacquire promotions don't exist in WM (to my knowledge) so it would be rather awkward trying to do the same.

they have level requirements. I lowered them a bit now (20->12, 16->9, 12->6).

Given how few units can access level 3 spells to begin with, I don't see any balance reason to have such level requirements. The unit has to be of significant level already. Any short-cutting has to involve copious numbers of single type mana nodes or the use spell books which are never really in abundance. It would open up the game a bit more to just ax the requirements, I think.

Top Bottom