HOTFIX at 12/22!

well i just started civ 5 and it applied this latest update, and now it crashes within seconds of loading a game.
anyone else having trouble with this?
the app starts, i choose single player and load game, the game loads, and after a few seconds everything freezes and it's dead.

when i was a programmer, if i'd released a patch 2 days before a holiday weekend i'd have been in big trouble. sigh.

i love that steam keeps the aaplication up to date - but i DO NOT LOVE that i can't simply click an "uninstall latest patch" button and carry on playing. given that games are so buggy, surely that would make steam a real powerful resource for players.

anyway, looks like all my holiday weekend fun is nerfed, no Civ 5 until the next "fix".

No mention of the City State road quest fixed? Hopefully its an undocumented change fix that they slip in, but if I get that quest early with a city state I'm basically stuck just sinking gold into it for the rest of the game (or taking over or ignoring it depending on my needs).

Hope this bug is fixed soon if not in this hotfix.

Can anyone confirm the 1-turn-trade bug is unfixed? The game's completely unplayable for me until it is.

* Made the Mandekalu mounted unit have the same negative vs city as the other mounted units
* Increased the chance that the AI will improve sea plots

Nice fixes :cool:

I played an Askia game on King, and it was pretty darn powerful, still lost the game though...

Also I've always hated the fact that they just don't care to improve most of their seaplots so that's kind of a nice improvement, if it will make em actually use all of them. +2 commerce each turn with close to 100% multiplier in the endgame adds up.

I just wish they coded in so that they would at least do a golden age with the generals they have. It's just stupid to have them stand there.

well i just started civ 5 and it applied this latest update, and now it crashes within seconds of loading a game.
anyone else having trouble with this?
the app starts, i choose single player and load game, the game loads, and after a few seconds everything freezes and it's dead.

when i was a programmer, if i'd released a patch 2 days before a holiday weekend i'd have been in big trouble. sigh.

i love that steam keeps the aaplication up to date - but i DO NOT LOVE that i can't simply click an "uninstall latest patch" button and carry on playing. given that games are so buggy, surely that would make steam a real powerful resource for players.

anyway, looks like all my holiday weekend fun is nerfed, no Civ 5 until the next "fix".

You were a programmer but you don't understand that it can be quite hard to revert to an older version of the game without uninstalling?

it can be quite hard to revert to an older version of the game without uninstalling?
No. It is actually a TRIVIAL thing to do. It does require more harddrive space though (since the changed files have to be kept). Steam poses problems (don't know why it doesn't allow you to revert like you can with Windows files) but Windows Restore bypasses Steam entirely and will allow you to revert back to a previous version. You do have to stay offline and have Steam set to not auto update or your back to square one.

No. It is actually a TRIVIAL thing to do. It does require more harddrive space though (since the changed files have to be kept). Steam poses problems (don't know why it doesn't allow you to revert like you can with Windows files) but Windows Restore bypasses Steam entirely and will allow you to revert back to a previous version. You do have to stay offline and have Steam set to not auto update or your back to square one.

Patches making use of windows restore as an uninstall utility is not a good idea. Even if you do the restore yourself it can be dangerous, who knows what other configuring you have done that you will lose.

Writing an install for a patch to perform a seamless uninstall is difficult and generally not worth the time. Primarily because we are supposed to have the option of uninstalling the game and reinstalling without the patch. Steam is a completely failure in this regard. The worst part is that Steam is to ignorant to realize it. But I digress.

A "hotfix" is not really a patch, it is quickly done for patching... a patch: it is normal if it is small and does not solve all requests at once !!

Happy to see that Jon is not needed for making a hotfix! It means that patches can be made without him. THIS is great news! Perhaps bigger that the hotfix itself...

[MODDING]

* Re-enabled LUA library unused in the core game. It was removed because we didn’t think modders were using it, and apparently many, many are using it.

Woot! :band:
They were just totally stupid to have removed it in the first place.
Good move.

here....my ciV crash after few turn....luckly i have bought Civ IV complete yesterday :p

ha ha snap! Soon as it arrives I'll be switching over for a while. The new patch and hotfix have made Civ V playable. But it still doesnt grip me like IV does. Games should be more than just playable.

Is it too much trouble for them to list the fixes? This way we know what they have done to the game. Some xml things we have tried to address via xml, such as the MCD, and AI unhappiness bonus. So far we are seeing better results from AI placement of cities. They are averaging around four hexes apart. The AI's happiness level has also been reduced, but they still do not seemed to worried about expanding as much as possible, though it is better than without any adjustmentto the xml.

So this is better AI city placement?

You have to change the XML, or did you?. It worked for us so far (As far as I have seen). I am on a huge map 14 civs, and 21 city states. You could be right because remember, the AI has this huge kick about expanding abroad, which is good but they over did it. All I can say Tatran is hope the game gets fixed in the end. Like alot of people I have invested alot of time and patience into this. That patience is wearing thin! :)

Looking at that screenshot of yours, in the AI's defense have fun taking those cities. :lol: But if you look at that screenshot closely, on the continent your AI cities are well placed, as far as being spread out enough from each other. So the main problem is trying to get the AI to stop settling so many one hex islands with no real resources. Sorry about the double post I thought I was editing the first post.

Thanks for posting that screenshot tatran, the December patch has introduced a few city placement issues &/or oversights that should get fixed eventually.

I'd like to see them fix the bug where AI are now 'Colonizing' 1 tile islands, also fix the bug that would ignore the Min_City_Distance Value & build a city on a 1 tile island only 1 tile of water away from another built city...

I love building cities on 1 tile islands, if they have access to at least 3 sea resources, I've opened maritime policies, and can fast buy workboat/seaport/harbor.

Top Bottom