How do warring CSs make peace w/1 another?

CaptainPatch

Lifelong gamer
And other than shooting at each other, how do you if City State X is at war with City State Y (or not)?

I've had two CSs hammering at each other for nearly a thousand years now, with neither side gaining any advantage. I know that their shooting war started when each was Allied with two civs that were warring with one another. But then the two civs made peace, but the two CSs kept fighting each other in their own private war.

Now I know that unlike civs, you can't Trade for a CS to make peace, nor Demand that peace be made. But now I also realize that when two civs make peace, the CIVs make peace with the opponent's Allied CSs. Buuuutttt there's nothing to show that the CSs have stopped fighting each other.

Am I missing something? Or is this a blind spot in the game mechanics?

I don't think its possible (and I'd like to know if there is a way!)

I have always thought there should be a button, or if you ally the 2 warring states it forces them to make peace, but I just don't know a way to resolve their differences.

If two CS are at war, without a major civ also in the war, then they will never make peace. There is no mechanic for them to make peace with each other because that situation is not suppose to happen in the first place. The fact that they are at war only with each other is a bug, I believe caused by some combination of war with major civs, change of alliance status, and peace being declared. I'm not sure the specifics but something happens that causes each CS to no longer be at war with a major civ, but still with each other.

That happens from time to time. Sometimes I did have 2 of my allied CSs beeing at war. I think that needs them both to loose their ally at war within a short period of time. So that the least allied major civ didn't make peace before.

If you attack civ X (and its allied CSs) and you make peace with the civ but exclude your CSs from the peace deal, civ X and its allies will remain at war with your allies. If civ X is then eliminated by civ Y, all allies of the late civ X will forever remain at war with your allies.

There should be a script forcing CSs to cease all possible wars when their major ally is destroyed.

From what I've observed, City States operate on a Civ level during diplomacy. They follow YOUR wars ONLY. Not anybody elses.

So if you're allied to Quebec, and attack Vancouver, then Quebec will "declare war" on Vancouver. They follow your wars. So whoever you're allied, will make peace and war depending on your political situation.

For example, if allegiances changes mid-war, then they will switch their wars and peaces.

If you attack civ X (and its allied CSs) and you make peace with the civ but exclude your CSs from the peace deal, civ X and its allies will remain at war with your allies. If civ X is then eliminated by civ Y, all allies of the late civ X will forever remain at war with your allies.

There should be a script forcing CSs to cease all possible wars when their major ally is destroyed.

Although I think it is primarily a bug, I believe if a major civ is destroyed, their allies still begin to decay, besides, all you have to do is over-take and become ally yourself.

It is quite simple how two city states stay at war. During the war, your enemy looses ally status with a city state, and you do not make peace with that individual city state. Turns later you make peace, but that city state is not included. That city state stays at war with all the other city states it was at war with. And if they are close enough to attack each other, that is what they do.

When I see this, I gift units to one, so that they then become a 2 city state empire, and I get the benefits of two city states for the price of one.

I do not see it as a bug, but a dynamic part of the game.

To fix this, couldn't they just make it so that when the major civs make peace, all cs's automatically declare peace as well...?

Why fix it?

If you watch, the AI makes peace with city states as soon as the other AI looses it's ally status. We humans don't always do that, and when the war ends that city state is not included in the peace deal and stays at war with everyone from that war, even the AI civ, which on the next turn the AI makes peace, leaving the city state at war with other city states. Most of the time, they are not close enough to each other to actually fight, so we humans do not see the war.

The first time I saw this happen I thought it was awesome. But after 100 turns of watching two CSs uselessly throw soldiers at each other (I know sometimes CSs can capture other CSs but it never seems to happen when they're locked in these eternal wars) I got over the novelty.

To fix this, couldn't they just make it so that when the major civs make peace, all cs's automatically declare peace as well...?

They did, that's actually why the bug exists in the first place:

Civ A and CS1 goes to war with Civ B and CS2. However during the war, Civ C forks over some cash and allies with CS1. Now, Civ B on the next turn will automatically make peace with CS1... but CS1 will remain locked in an eternal war with CS2. (Unless someone allies CS1, another civ allies CS2, they go to war, and declare peace with both CS1 and CS2 still as their allies.)

Unless you're referring to some "global peace" mechanic - if no major civs are at war, no CSs can be at war, that kind of thing?

This is addressed to several later posters as well.
From what I have seen, this is NOT how the mechanic works. Look closely the next time you end hostilities with another civ: The _civ_ can formally make peace with all of its opponent's CS allies, either as a package deal in the peace terms, or individually by approaching each CS opponent and suing for peace. (As far as I've ever seen, the CSs accept the armistice 100% of the time, just so long as their civ Ally is /has made peace as well.) NOWHERE is there any device to call for one CS to stop warring with another. Or even to suggest that one CS should go to war with another CS _without_ any civs being involved. Furthermore, NOWHERE can I find a CS Diplomacy screen that shows just which other CSs a given CS may be at war with. With a civ, yes; but with another CS, no.

The worst thing about 2 of your allied CS warring each other is they pillage those resources also. And guess who will lose the happiness lux, coal, aluminium etc...

Sit back, crack open a beer, and enjoy the fireworks :D

Oh man, could they eventually start nuking each other?

Oh man, could they eventually start nuking each other?
The capabilities of the CSs seems to parallel the capabilities of any civ they're Allied with. (Assumed transfer of tech?) Like when I can build Tanks, the Militaristic CSs start to gift me Tanks. So I imagine when you can build nukes, so can the CSs. (Provided they have access to Uranium.) But unlike you, who can deliberately show restraint, if they're in a shooting war and they have nukes, they WILL use them.

HOWEVER, I wouldn't be at all surprised if the game program was hard-coded to NEVER allow CSs to have nukes. Or if they have them, they can only gift them to a civ Ally.

CIty-States can't construct wonders or projects, so no nukes.

If they're close enough together I suspect the easiest way to solve the issue would be to decide which CS gives you the most desirable benefit, ally with it and gift lots of advanced units to allow it to conquer the other.

But you could gift them nukes?

Havana needs to be a city-state, srsly

if you use the IGE mod, you can give them a uranium deposit, wait for them to improve it and see what happens. You can also give them the manhatten project in the edit city screen.

I don't have a save game right now sadly with two warring city states (they were both my allies), but I will try to do that the next time I encounter this bug.

Top Bottom