How to deal with the homeless guy

Skwink

FRIIIIIIIIIITZ
We moved to this new house about eight months ago, and since then we've had someone try to break into our garage, go through our truck, and steal a bike.

Well just today I look out the window and see two homeless looking people going down the street. One keeps going, but the other throws his beer can around, stops, and starts going through my neighbors trash can and then his recycling (which he takes the cans from and throws them all over, to go step on and collect.) This guy hobbles and has a small dog.

I've seen these two walking around before, and now I'm pretty sure one of them is the one who did the stuff I mentioned earlier, but I can't prove it.

What should I do if I see them again.

Check to make sure they aren't living under your house and stealing your BTUs.

Velma Kellen, 73-Year-Old Woman, Learns Stranger Was Living In Crawl Space, Maybe Smoking Marijuana (VIDEO)

A retired Washington state woman got some unexpected news after calling a repairman to fix what she believed was a broken furnace.

The repairman told Velma Kellen, 73, that he was able fix the air ducts that seemed to be causing the problem, but he also told her that someone had been living underneath her house. The stranger apparently cut through the duct to get some of the heat.

"I was just amazed when he came in and told me," Kellen told KATU. "I couldn't believe it. I thought, golly sakes."

Kellen, a former caregiver, believes the crafty -- and apparently cold -- squatter came and went through her backyard, since she noticed the gate was often mysteriously unlatched, King 5 reports.

And then, there was the suspicious smell that often wafted through the home.

"I can't say marijuana," Kellen told King 5. "I don't know what marijuana smells like, but it was worse than cigarettes."

In September, a woman in South Carolina was similarly shocked to discover an ex-boyfriend living in her attic. The single mother of five discovered the lurker after hearing bumping noises coming from above her bedroom ceiling.

Her old flame, whom she hadn't seen in 12 years, reportedly had been sleeping in her heating unit, spying on her through the vents and peeing in old Sonic cups.
A word to the wise. Check your crawlspace and attics for hippies smoking pot and ex-lovers peeing into Sonic cups. But you might want to bring your gun when you do so. You never know what a desperate cornered person might do.

Buy a bag of Alpo and set a bowl out for that poor dog. And some fresh water.

No doubt about it. Its time to pass legislation to ban Sonic cups.

Get out there with an acoustic guitar and play "Another Day in Paradise" by Phil Collins until they go away. No-one likes to be patronized.

So garbage sitting by the curb is now property?

Is there any evidence of drum circles?

Build them a house. It'll cost society less in the long run.

No, these garbage cans aren't out on the curb.
Then I think you definitely have an ironclad case. Garbage not at the curb is still property. You should have called the police and had them prosecuted to the full extent of the law.

If you live in Texas, you might even be be able to get by using deadly force protecting their property.

Set up a barbecue (or other cooking equipment) in front of your house and invite them for a meal.

We moved to this new house about eight months ago, and since then we've had someone try to break into our garage, go through our truck, and steal a bike.

Well just today I look out the window and see two homeless looking people going down the street. One keeps going, but the other throws his beer can around, stops, and starts going through my neighbors trash can and then his recycling (which he takes the cans from and throws them all over, to go step on and collect.) This guy hobbles and has a small dog.

I've seen these two walking around before, and now I'm pretty sure one of them is the one who did the stuff I mentioned earlier, but I can't prove it.

What should I do if I see them again.
I've got a friend who has a similar problem... but worse... she lives across the street from a nice park, which homeless people have made their home. She's been accosted and she calls the police regularly.

Just keep calling the cops on them. Hopefully they'll go elsewhere and leave your neighborhood alone. A neighborhood watch situation would be helpful.

If they invade your home, use your judgment.

Alternatively, provide them opportunity to get back on their feet and become productive members of society again.

Though, I mean, I guess you could call 911 and get them arrested.. I guess...

How many homeless people have you helped out Synsensa?

And if they leave your neighbourhood alone, aren't they then in someone else's neighbourhood? What should the people who live in that one do?

Give them some money and food?
So he just keeps hanging around until he gets more? I mean, I appreciate the humanitarian sentiment, but there's a reason that we have organised campaigns, shelters run by trained volunteers and overseen professionals, and other responses that are actually capable of dealing with vagrants. I'm not say that I'd blame him if he tried to milk it (can any of us honestly say that we wouldn't do the same in his position?, just that it's anything but a solution to Skwink's problem.

Alternatively, provide them opportunity to get back on their feet and become productive members of society again.

Though, I mean, I guess you could call 911 and get them arrested.. I guess...
The majority of vagrants are seriously mental ill. I seriously doubt that Skwink could help them even if he wanted to.

Top Bottom