• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

How to deal with the homeless guy

How many homeless people have you helped out Synsensa?

There are only two where I'm currently living, and I've helped them both out to the greatest extent I can. Giving them somebody to speak to and a shoulder to lean on if they're going through a tough spot (when you're homeless, it's always a tough spot, really). Upon moving, I'm already signed up to help out with the communal farm that many homeless people are registered at to receive food every week.

Plenty of ways to help those less fortunate than yourself. Just need to get over the "I'm the only one that matters" barrier.

There's homeless, and there's rough sleepers. And there's cantankerous alcoholic derelicts. Not all necessarily mutually exclusive conditions.

There are only two where I'm currently living, and I've helped them both out to the greatest extent I can. Giving them somebody to speak to and a shoulder to lean on if they're going through a tough spot (when you're homeless, it's always a tough spot, really). Upon moving, I'm already signed up to help out with the communal farm that many homeless people are registered at to receive food every week.

Plenty of ways to help those less fortunate than yourself. Just need to get over the "I'm the only one that matters" barrier.

Well fair enough. Well played good man. :eek:

As for the final sentance I do give the odd bit of money to the homeless I see every now and again. Two homeless fellas, one i'm quite certain is a drug addict of some strong, strong narcotic as he always looks messed up. The other, I believe is an alcoholic.
I sincerely hope they are using those few silver pieces I gave them to buy food or a place to sleep - but i doubt it. I've probably harmed them rather then helped them :shrug:

Anyway, I'm of the attiude. I'm only: 21, I'm a student. I don't have a fulltime job. My income is very low - I'm exempt from helping others. When I get to like 30 making a reasonable living and comfortable and happy then i'll get to helping others. I'm sorry but i won't help others untill i'm happy and secure myself.

Well fair enough. Well played good man. :eek:

As for the final sentance I do give the odd bit of money to the homeless I see every now and again. Two homeless fellas, one i'm quite certain is a drug addict of some strong, strong narcotic as he always looks messed up. The other, I believe is an alcoholic.
I sincerely hope they are using those few silver pieces I gave them to buy food or a place to sleep - but i doubt it. I've probably harmed them rather then helped them :shrug:

Anyway, I'm of the attiude. I'm only: 21, I'm a student. I don't have a fulltime job. My income is very low - I'm exempt from helping others. When I get to like 30 making a reasonable living and comfortable and happy then i'll get to helping others. I'm sorry but i won't help others untill i'm happy and secure myself.

That's fair, and I'm a little of the same thought, too. I can't help financially nor can I help by providing a network of chances for people down on their luck, but I can simply dedicate a few hours a week to helping them get a healthy, warm meal every week and until I'm capable of more, that's good enough for me!

I'm of the opinion that one should never give money to the homeless, but rather opportunity. That way it is up to them to achieve something rather than getting it given. I hate to say it, but a lot of homeless people aren't in the right frame of mind to really make the right decisions with five dollars. This doesn't even necessarily need to be mental illness or an addiction. It could just be that you're so disoriented, depressed, or starved that you physically cannot process decisions properly and make bad ones in the moment. We've all probably made the mistake to go buy some quick easy food rather than cook one ourselves just because we're that hungry. Homeless people are beyond that hunger. Would one that is hungry spend that five dollars on a greasy burger that is on their plate within the following ten minutes and is so utterly satisfying, or would they set it aside to get themselves cleaned up and print off a resume from the library?

Not too many people take the second choice, and that's understandable. They are at a weakened state if they're homeless long enough. Having empathy and helping out doesn't mean to be naive and think they'll use your money mindfully. Best to be cautious and help in ways that cannot be distorted into mistakes. A warm meal cannot really be taken and turned into something else, same as an offering of helping them get a proper resume, get their clothes cleaned, etc.

In other words: You help by investment, not by quick placation.

I think both of you, Quackers and Synsensa, are right.

If someone asks for help one should give it, I believe. Except in very rare circumstances.

There's no reason to think that the little money you give a derelict won't be a real turning point for them. Even if it seems very likely that it will simply go to fuel whatever addiction problems that they have. There's just no way to tell in any particular case.

On the other hand, real help in getting someone housed, fed, and re-integrated is invaluable. But probably very hard to do, effectively, in practice.

I think both of you, Quackers and Synsensa, are right.

If someone asks for help one should give it, I believe. Except in very rare circumstances.

There's no reason to think that the little money you give a derelict won't be a real turning point for them. Even if it seems very likely that it will simply go to fuel whatever addiction problems that they have. There's just no way to tell in any particular case.

On the other hand, real help in getting someone housed, fed, and re-integrated is invaluable. But probably very hard to do, effectively, in practice.

Very hard, because it requires a lot of time investment on your part, which may not be possible if you're working full time, have a family, volunteer, etc. I think in retirement one would be capable of really actively doing something so complex for another human being, but if you're 30, with 2 kids, working 50-80 hours a week?

Probably not going to have enough time to really help someone onto their feet, but then again -- Anything helps!

I don't know about you guys, but if it were me, I'd unquestionably call the police, multiple times if I had to.

Hopefully none of the people you are helping, which is a nice gesture, end up attacking you, etc.

Hmm. I have helped homeless people. But I live in a small town, and I knew them anyway.

People, in my experience, are mostly harmless. Despite appearances.

I think I would find it almost impossible to not help anybody who was homeless that I knew.

The last apartment building that I lived in in Manhattan had a bread shop on the first floor along with a number of other businesses, including the best steak house in Manhattan.

The manager used to give all the bread that was not sold each day to the local shelter instead of throwing it away, as do many similar businesses. He also hired a local homeless guy to sweep the sidewalk outside the store and do other errands. So he was always hanging around but never begging or disturbing the customers.

After a while we got to know each other by first nodding, then having a few words whenever we saw each other. It wasn't long before I started emptying my pockets of all loose change whenever I happened to see him. I should have done more.

Hmm. I have helped homeless people. But I live in a small town, and I knew them anyway.

People, in my experience, are mostly harmless. Despite appearances.
There's a park in my area, Formy probably knows it...
Crest Lake Park. It is a de facto home to homeless. There have been a number of assaults, etc, in the park, committed by various homeless.

If you don't know them, I'd be wary as hell. As Warpus pointed out, many on the streets tend to have mental problems.

A friend of mine has been accosted there...

If you know the homeless, well, hell... that's different. But often times we don't know them outside of our regular areas. If you know who they are, and they have a sporadic history, such as the OP addresses, knowing them means keeping yet further away from them I would imagine.

Someone was found dead sunday morning on the street it is on... Glenwood Ave
Many break ins, etc...

It's gotten really dangerous around there in the past few years. Most arrests have been drug related though.

There's a park in my area, Formy probably knows it...
Crest Lake Park. It is a de facto home to homeless. There have been a number of assaults, etc, in the park, committed by various homeless.

And there are even more assaults committed by various homeowners. What's your point?

There is a guy who makes his way down our street to collect cans and what not, every once in a while. I think I see him only a couple times a year.

He doesn't make a mess and seems to respect the community in other ways as well, so we let him do what he does. If he was causing crap, the cops would be called.

If I had the money, I would buy it and foster it for our shelter.

Homeless people with dogs won't ever sell the dog, I believe. Unless they are dog rustlers, I suppose.

Top Bottom