• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

How to deal with the homeless guy

It was a puppy. I can't say for certain he was homeless though. But the cardboard sign, obviously lack of bathing and tattered clothes gave me that impression.

I think both of you, Quackers and Synsensa, are right.

If someone asks for help one should give it, I believe. Except in very rare circumstances.

There's no reason to think that the little money you give a derelict won't be a real turning point for them. Even if it seems very likely that it will simply go to fuel whatever addiction problems that they have. There's just no way to tell in any particular case.

On the other hand, real help in getting someone housed, fed, and re-integrated is invaluable. But probably very hard to do, effectively, in practice.

Its nearly impossible to help people get off the street if they are addicts or mentally ill. That doesn't make an act of human kindness less precious. Just less efficacious.

In a case like this the real benefit is to the giver. Be selfish and give a little.

Life lesson: Once my son and I were out driving and I saw a homeless man and told my son I was going to stop and give him some money. I had just received some unexpected money and when that happens I feel the need to do things like this. My son asked, "Won't he just buy booze?" I said maybe, maybe not. Stopped and gave him twenty bucks. Drove on, circled back the same way. Guy had walked to a hamburger joint for food, was standing there eating. Life never felt better than at that moment.

Is there not any government programs that can in fact help moved addicts or the mentally ill off the streets?

Is there not any government programs that can in fact help moved addicts or the mentally ill off the streets?

Our government has more important priorities.

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/n...n-insult-to-americas-struggling-middle-class/

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-503544_162-20021841-503544.html

teaser: Earlier this week, the Press Trust of India reported that the United States will "be spending a whopping $200 million per day on President Barack Obama's visit" to Mumbai.

http://times247.com/articles/the-origin-of-obama-phones

We get lots of lip service though.

Edit: There is another issue with the mentally disturbed. Those on the street often want to be there. Why do we have the right to infringe their liberty? Just because we'd rather not look at the misery of human suffering? Property values? Are they less human than us or is it the other way round.

I once gave an old derelict 50p (it was a long time ago). Derelicts in the UK have a certain uniform of dirty dark wool overcoat and are pretty recognizable.

Immediately another much younger derelict (similarly attired) popped up. Saying "Don't give my father any money he'll only spend it on drink."

Frankly, I was amazed. But what could I do? I couldn't ask for my money back, could I?

And there are even more assaults committed by various homeowners. What's your point?
Statistics show the homeless people are much, much more likely to commit violent crime than a typical person (especially a homeowner who has generally shown some level of responsibility).
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/7641002
Mentally disordered defendants had 40 times the rate of homelessness found in the general population, and 21 times the rate in the population of mentally ill persons in the city. The overall rate of criminal offenses was 35 times higher in the homeless mentally ill population than in the domiciled mentally ill population. The rate of violent crimes was 40 times higher and the rate of nonviolent crimes 27 times higher in the homeless population. Homeless defendants were significantly more likely to have been charged with victimizing strangers.

This tidbit takes it for granted that there is a higher mental illness rate amongst the homeless.

But which is it? Mental illness causing homelessness or vice versa? Or are the two unrelated?

But which is it? Mental illness causing homelessness or vice versa? Or are the two unrelated?
Probably there are cases of both... but by and large, I believe the illness often comes first, often in the form of self-medication/substance abuse which leads to an addiction that costs people everything.

However, there's a different story for each person, so it's not a universal truth that the illness comes first or ever.

I don't know that calling the police will do a lot of good if you don't have any evidence of what you suspect. In fact, it might just piss the "homeless" guy off and escalate the situation. My advice would be to gather evidence, including surveillance of your garage (or whereever your garbage is kept), and then take the proof of trespassing to police. At that point, something could actually be done. Otherwise, you're just harassing them as you have no real proof that this guy is the culprit, and there won't be a whole lot the cops can do without any evidence.

My primary advice to you is this: don't piss them off and make things worse.

Homelessness affects a wide variety of people. You may be more vulnerable to homelessness because you have particular needs, are less able to cope by yourself or have limited housing rights, for example if you are:
  • a young person leaving home for the first time or leaving care
  • an offender leaving prison
  • pregnant, with nowhere to stay when the baby comes
  • responsible for bringing up children
  • living on benefits or a low income
  • affected by housing benefit cuts
  • an asylum seeker, refugee or person from abroad.
http://england.shelter.org.uk/get_advice/homelessness/what_is_homelessness

I don't think the majority of the homeless are mentally ill at all. Some may well be.

I don't see why pregnant people would be more likely to be homeless.

Yes, I'm not sure either. I haven't really looked into this carefully enough.

Perhaps they mean pregnant teenagers who are ejected from their family homes? It does happen in the UK, I know. Perhaps it never does in the Netherlands. That wouldn't surprise me.

I don't see why pregnant people would be more likely to be homeless.
As awful as this sounds... and it is awful but I think it is also true...
A girl with an unwanted baby is often considered unwanted herself... so if she had been dependent financially, she's screwed.

I would expect that the amount of government and charity (church!) help for (single) mothers would outweigh those things though. But I suppose in case a pregnancy is really unwanted, it gets aborted over here. :dunno:
Perhaps they mean pregnant teenagers who are ejected from their family homes?
Honestly, if your pregnant daughter has to live on the street because you kicked her out for being pregnant, you should be under criminal investigation.

Honestly, if your pregnant daughter has to live on the street because you kicked her out for being pregnant, you should be under criminal investigation.
They let any a-hole be a parent though...
I agree with you completely, but the tragedies going on out there are so numerous I hardly even need elaborate...

I've never heard of anyone being prosecuted for kicking a teenager out.

You could become homeless for many different reasons. These could include:
  • being evicted because of rent arrears caused by money problems
  • the breakdown of your relationship with your partner, parents or family
  • having to leave because of domestic violence or abuse
  • illegal eviction or harassment by a landlord
  • a disaster such as a fire or flooding.
I think children who live in care often wind up homeless because the duty of care by the local authorities ceases at a certain age. It may be 16. I'm not sure.

http://england.shelter.org.uk/get_advice/homelessness/what_is_homelessness

I don't think the majority of the homeless are mentally ill at all. Some may well be.

No doubt declining economic conditions is a bigger factor now than once was here. Forty years ago in my hometown, almost all of the homeless were easily recognized as either drunks, addicts or the mentally disturbed. Now you go by the shelter and there are masses of people who are not so different than those you see everyday working and shopping in Walmart.

Two different issues, imco.

Top Bottom