How to stay in one era?

Fallen Monk

Chieftain
Hey, i'm curious, with Civilization 5, is there any way to advance to a single era then stop? preferrably without modding it to work.

I'm curious too: what would you be trying to achieve by staying in one era? Eras are tied to your most advanced technology, and they unlock the different social policy trees, so you'd lose the later ones.

The only way to do it that I can think off is never to found or capture a city! That way you never research anything and you'd stay in one era... but you'd never produce anything either, so you'd be living off loot or find in ruins.

Well, just to reenact a part of history. For example, the wars of 600(?) BC with Sparta and the Persian Empire. I am Persia, so i would want to reenact the same value of number of foot solders than Sparta. Historically, Persia has 20x as many than Sparta. So, it would take some time to build that many. Even if Sparta in the game has 12 thousand, i would just multiply that to get the same historical effect. Being in the same era would help with carrying out that reenactment. It isn't always fun to try that out and end up with Immortals going up against tanks and artillery, kind of takes the joy out of trying to fight historical wars altogether. It's mostly for domination concuest. Another example would be Fuedal Japan with Samurai. It's not fun trying to explore and take over cities with them if you're once again going up against tanks of the like. With the era stopped, each civilization's unit can be still unique and something to experience.
-
Not to mention, it's fun to use the modded map that historically places each civilization at their original positions rather than japan being next to the USA. So, together would be pretty interesting, and something to screw around with.

Yeah i was thinking of doing it, but the only problem is, i don't know jack sh*t outside of the Firetuner.

Here I was thinking you had some twisted cultist reason behind your book burning ways, but it sounds reasonable. You could probably use this as an opportunity to learn about modding.

My suggestion is to mod the game in such a way that the technological advances beyond a certain era are atronomically expensive.
I know this was done in civ 2 or 3, I cant remember...
It should be easy as long as you can locate the file with the science costs for techs...

My suggestion is to mod the game in such a way that the technological advances beyond a certain era are atronomically expensive.
I know this was done in civ 2 or 3, I cant remember...
It should be easy as long as you can locate the file with the science costs for techs...

The problem with this approach is that the AI will still focus on science, you have to mod that thing too.
And also the great scientists, they'll allow you to snatch those techs.
This stuff is not as trivial as it seams.

I suppose i would have to start searching around how to begin modding the game since i have an idea of what to do; just need to figure out how.

Its true that AI would still try to advance so perhaps the game would have to be played on much higher diff level to give AI some compensation...
Also the cost of great scientists could be made extremely expensive.
The problem is not trivial but there are couple of 'dirty' workarounds.

Ideally I would like to have an option at the start of the game which allows locking the game into specific era or up to specific era. The availability of victory conditions would automatically adjust.

Its true that AI would still try to advance so perhaps the game would have to be played on much higher diff level to give AI some compensation...
Also the cost of great scientists could be made extremely expensive.
The problem is not trivial but there are couple of 'dirty' workarounds.

Ideally I would like to have an option at the start of the game which allows locking the game into specific era or up to specific era. The availability of victory conditions would automatically adjust.

My thoughts exactly. Now whose into modding and willing? :p

There are old mods that are available in the browser to stop at each era. I used one for my Medieval Era mod. Basically it disables tech post certain era, I don't have a problem with the AI as I extended the techs for Medieval and increased the cost.

I try to be an anti-civilisation barbarian. Destructive and aggressive to the point where technological development is sidelined. But it's just not as effective as a good mod, and it's a lot of work, when the goal is just to slow the tech-rate.

Hey El_Machinae, when I saw your post something clicked on my mind. I have created a mod so that you can play like a barbarian civ, see my sig. I already made more improvements and have 4 civs available to play with, Aztec, Iroquois, Songhai and Mongol. But need to test it a bit before I update the current alpha version.

Hey, i'm curious, with Civilization 5, is there any way to advance to a single era then stop? preferrably without modding it to work.

The only way that comes to my mind (without modding), is to eternally stay in anarchy switching between incompatible Social Policies :lol:

Sounds interesting. Usually I find myself beating the AI with technologically more advanced units. A "just a long Medieval era scenario" could make the game more challenging.

I don't get why someone would even ask for it... but here's the correct (and possibly the only one) way to STOP in whatever Era you'd want to.

--Go to the Browse Mods section within game.
--Enter the words "End at" in the search box.
--You'll be served with a whole set of tiny mods by Cyclops86 that *DO* just what they claim; STOP techs by the end of the named Era in the corresponding file(s).
--Activate your choice.
--Play.

BUT The MODS cannot load unless they are downloaded which they aren't. If they are, then I am at a loss because I don't see the damn files!

Top Bottom