How would you attack this city (screenshot)

suckycivguy

Chieftain
This is my first battle I had questions:

At what point can my melee units strike?

Should I bring mostly archers to these battles?

If I rush attacked immediately would I die?

What's the most efficient way to battle in the future?

Attachments

• Screen shot 2011-05-01 at 12.49.23 PM.jpg
    Screen shot 2011-05-01 at 12.49.23 PM.jpg
    239.2 KB · Views: 711
That's going to be a tough one. He's also got the city on a hill, that won't help.

You've got four "support" tiles, ie, hexes you can reach him with bow-fire. You want to use them, but bowmen aren't ideal, you have catapults?

You could attack him twice a turn from the land hex with horsemen. Swap them out after the initial attack.

Might want to upgrade some of your infantry with amphibious assault, if you can.

Regardless, this might be a good example of a city-state you'd have been advised to buy off. :) Little late for that now.

I dont have cats but I ended up just attacking him with my spearman and took the city immediately I was kind of mad that I'd spent a half hour arrowing him lol

Hilarious user name ...

Are you playing with a mod or some outdated version? Because horses were nerfed quite a while ago to weaker than what's displayed.

Here's my general suggestions: That city is strength 15 and out on a peninsula. At this point you do not have the units needed to take it out, your spear and especially warrior are going to take a lot of damage for little dealt because of the relative strength. Your archers are only going to deal one or maybe two damage per turn which isn't going to be enough. Also, with the rough terrain the approach will be slow and you'll take extra damage from the city strike.

You need one of two things:
1) multiple catapults, at least two plus some extra ranged fire power (ships or archers) to support. These can bombard the city down so it's weak and you can walk in with any ground troops (or embark them and then land them in front of the city).

2) multiple swordsmen with the amphibious promotion so they can attack from water without penalty. Amphibious isn't too hard to get if you build barracks in your cities, but you'd have to make a conscious effort. Using embarked units with amphibious is the only way to get enough melee units around that city to take it down with melee.

Using the water to your advantage will really help, your units can move a little faster embarked than they can through the rough terrain. That's the only way to cycle melee units in and out to heal in this kind of approach, and can also let you get catapults in position faster too.

I dont have cats but I ended up just attacking him with my spearman and took the city immediately I was kind of mad that I'd spent a half hour arrowing him lol

You took a city-state on a hill, with only one land approach tile, in one turn, with a *spearman*, with only one normal archer and no catapults in support??

Mmm, k.

Edit: Ah, nevermind. Just looked again and noticed you had a faded-out chariot archer there too. Still, I bet that took a nice, long time to wear the town down ;)
When you can, just keep your melee attack units out of range of the city bombardment zone, until your ranged units can bring it down to just a sliver of health left... once you get it's health bar down to where you can't lower it any farther with ranged attacks, then move in and and finish it off with your melee unit. Sometimes, though, you have to keep one in close range due to terrain/visibility issues and so your ranged units can 'see' the city to fire at it.

i remember one game on multiplayer where and my friend used 50+ units we took one city, he had no units but the logistics where so much on his side (along with barbarians boats blocking in the long canal that was the only way) he destroyed our whole army with out units simply by firing at them with his city he didnt have a chance in heck but it took three tedious hours to finaly get our units collected there

I have several observations.

1. It's turn 127 and you are assaulting a city with Ancient Era units. By this stage in the game you should be using Classical and/or Medieval troops. Catapults would be very handy.

2. You are assaulting a city-state. They are tougher than regular AI cities early in the game.

3. You have the right idea using ranged troops, but they are unlikely to make a dent in your target. When your melee troops die, the assault will be over.

4. Learn Iron Working and Compass. Build a Barracks and Armory. Now your units will have two promotions. Give them shock/drill + amphibious. Now you can assault the city from the water without a penalty (though your embarked troops are vulnerable).

5. I would probably go after Japan instead. :)

Other points of interest:

- That city has 15 Strength (City States tend to prioritize defensive structures, so it probably has walls). Your Warrior has 6 IIRC and your Spearmen 7. It's like throwing them at Musketmen. Not going to end well.
- Catapults. Catapults. Catapults. There's a reason why everyone is mentioning them. They're siege weapons. Use them.
- Horsemen have an attack penalty against cities (I think it's -50%, although I haven't played unmodded CiV for around 4 months). So your Horsemen would be about as strong as your Warrior against cities. Not good.
- Also, about the turn 127 Warriors thing, I think he's playing on Marathon/Epic. So maybe he hasn't researched Iron Working yet (although you should have Catapults).

Basically, built 1-2 Catapults, whittle down the city's HP with them (you had the right idea with the Chariot/Archer, but they do something like 1-2 damage per turn while Catapults can to 6-7 damage, so it's just faster with Catapults), then march up a Swordsmen (Iron Working)/Pikemen (Civil Service) and take it. It'll be hard and a lot of your dudes might die, but eh. It's not a Maritime CS, so you can kill it. Besides, there's not much Japan can do about it, right?

Top Bottom