I Fixed The Maf Error... Here Is How!!

that error message (there is a V instead of U in it) is a video memory allocation problem - not the MAF error this thread talks about. Did you ever post your dxdiag results file? if not do so please - if yes: could you point me to it?

It is 64 bit Vista. The dxdiag file is located a few posts above this one.
I did find one old post regarding this problem on 64bit Vista - but that was about access violation errors during startup - so I am not sure if that applies - still here it is:
http://www.vistax64.com/gaming/176972-access-violation-error-civilization-4-a.html

the dxdiag was not directed at you - keeping two conversations running is confusing...

I'll be looking for more info about this on 64 bit machines. The main problem though is that the game needs elevated rights (i.e. run as admin).

I did find one old post regarding this problem on 64bit Vista - but that was about access violation errors during startup - so I am not sure if that applies - still here it is:
http://www.vistax64.com/gaming/176972-access-violation-error-civilization-4-a.html

the dxdiag was not directed at you - keeping two conversations running is confusing...

I'll be looking for more info about this on 64 bit machines. The main problem though is that the game needs elevated rights (i.e. run as admin).

Unfortunatly, I have the event 1000 error. I do appriciate the help you are trying to give.

:hmm:
@strategyonly:
ati does list a newer wdm driver for your card on their site:
http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownlo...spx?type=2.4.1&product=2.4.1.3.7&lang=English
did you try that already?

@dog77_1999
the error you posted in the dxdiag file was exception code 0xc0000005
which is the same as in the link I posted - that user actually also had a thread in this forum at that point.
I did search more: do you have any other programs running in the background?

Hey,

I have been replaying Civilization IV with the Rom modpack and have had crashes to my desktop. I am playing on a huge map with about 20 civs, but I thought I had a pretty good system. I have looked around alot on these fourms for help, but some of it seemed old information that does not pertain towards me and some of it I was not able to do. I tried changing the commandprombt, but that did not fix anything. Any help would be appriciated.

Here are some of my specs:

Thanks

Attachments

• DxDiag.txt
    29.3 KB · Views: 200
Yeah the userva in vista 32bit worked for me. No more MAF on save. Thanks Slyflyer!

But who knows how long I have till I need more than 3 GB of mem for it, so a temporary fix at best. So really, I must say that a 64 bit system is the only real solution to this, cuz that would allow for all the mem youd ever need (17 exobytes I think?).

I've been reading and reading and reading, but still no dice, so im gonna just throw my question here: i play bts with newest patch, rom mod. My specs are: P E5200 Dualcore, 2 GB RAM, Ati Radeon HD2600 512mb, Windows 7 32 bit. Im playing a large map with Perfect world script, 14-15 civs right now, i made it to the XX. century fighting with MAF-s since the XVIIth century, but now they became unbearable, it MAF-s every friggin turn. I'm runnin bts with admin rights, on one core, give it high allocation, ive tried using 0-3000Mb pagefiles (when set to 0 windows tells me after loading the save that the system is low on mem). Does anyone have any advice?

Oh yeah i forgot: i always have the newest drivers, and am, of course playing on the lowest possible graphic setting.

Do you have problems playing on Huge maps? PerfectWorld maps are generally one size larger than what they say they are.

Do you have problems playing on Huge maps? PerfectWorld maps are generally one size larger than what they say they are.

With huge maps it becomes unplayable even earlier. The large size seemed ideal, im really sad that i cant play it any more.

With huge maps it becomes unplayable even earlier. The large size seemed ideal, im really sad that i cant play it any more.

Did you try the MAF patch? How did you do it in Windows 7?

some issues you may have are: only 2GB RAM. The game goes over 2GB which is why you get the MAF error and when MAF is applied to allow 3GB of RAM it will start using the pagefile which uses your hard drive as memory and will slow the game down to a crawl if it isn't doing it already.

Using 64-bit windows will better take advatage of your memory and has better emulation of XP which may help the game.

remember, windows will use up to 1GB of ram to run by itself. Plus 2GB for the game equals disaster. 4GB will help a lot, but you will most likely need 4GB ram to play with the MAF fix applied. 1GB ram for windows plus 3GB ram for game after MAF is applied = 4GB ram total.

If you could upload your saved game and all files listed to play the map and I can try it on my system (6GB Ram and Win7 Ult 64-bit)

Good luck
-=Mark=-

Did you try the MAF patch? How did you do it in Windows 7?

some issues you may have are: only 2GB RAM. The game goes over 2GB which is why you get the MAF error and when MAF is applied to allow 3GB of RAM it will start using the pagefile which uses your hard drive as memory and will slow the game down to a crawl if it isn't doing it already.

Using 64-bit windows will better take advatage of your memory and has better emulation of XP which may help the game.

remember, windows will use up to 1GB of ram to run by itself. Plus 2GB for the game equals disaster. 4GB will help a lot, but you will most likely need 4GB ram to play with the MAF fix applied. 1GB ram for windows plus 3GB ram for game after MAF is applied = 4GB ram total.

If you could upload your saved game and all files listed to play the map and I can try it on my system (6GB Ram and Win7 Ult 64-bit)

Good luck
-=Mark=-

Thanks Mark for the advice, what is this MAF-patch you are talking bout? ive read a lot in the forums and havent seen this yet.

Thanks Mark for the advice, what is this MAF-patch you are talking bout? ive read a lot in the forums and havent seen this yet.

It is the first thread of this message - lol

Give it a try and let me know if it even works in Windows 7. I think it worked in Vista for me without issue, so it should work in Win7.

Let me know how it goes and I'll see if I can help
-=Mark=-

It is the first thread of this message - lol

Give it a try and let me know if it even works in Windows 7. I think it worked in Vista for me without issue, so it should work in Win7.

Let me know how it goes and I'll see if I can help
-=Mark=-

Yeah tried that already. It works under win7 but doesnt help with the game. Guess i gonna have to invest in some RAM. TBH i think Win7 does aloocate more than 3gigs w/o the patch

Yeah tried that already. It works under win7 but doesnt help with the game. Guess i gonna have to invest in some RAM. TBH i think Win7 does aloocate more than 3gigs w/o the patch

Actually, the Win7 will allocate it the same. It is a limit of the 32-bit operating system. Microsoft alllocates 2GB for all programs and the rest goes to windows for periperals you all, mostly video card memory is allocated into the 4GB and counts as system ram. however, win may already apply the 3GB switch that the MAF fix does.

windows may manage ram better and maybe fixed some memory leaks that the MAF error helps bypass.

If you can provide a saved game, or tell me the settings and add-ons you use and I can test for you before you buy anything. I'd hate to see you spend money that isn't going to help you any.

-=Mark=-

Actually, the Win7 will allocate it the same. It is a limit of the 32-bit operating system. Microsoft alllocates 2GB for all programs and the rest goes to windows for periperals you all, mostly video card memory is allocated into the 4GB and counts as system ram. however, win may already apply the 3GB switch that the MAF fix does.

windows may manage ram better and maybe fixed some memory leaks that the MAF error helps bypass.

If you can provide a saved game, or tell me the settings and add-ons you use and I can test for you before you buy anything. I'd hate to see you spend money that isn't going to help you any.

-=Mark=-
Thank you very much Mr. Johnson, i have the newest BTS with the newest Rise of Mankind mod, w/o any modmods. I have bought the game in Germany, it is english though so i dont think it really matters. (im pretty sure it doesnt matter at all). I've attached my savegame, hope you can give me some input. Thanks again.

Attachments

• QuickSave.CivBeyondSwordSave
    1.9 MB · Views: 314
Thank you very much Mr. Johnson, i have the newest BTS with the newest Rise of Mankind mod, w/o any modmods. I have bought the game in Germany, it is english though so i dont think it really matters. (im pretty sure it doesnt matter at all). I've attached my savegame, hope you can give me some input. Thanks again.

I find a lot of Rise of Mankind. There are several files listed. Are you using 2.8 by itself? are you using the 2.81hotfix also? Which version of 2.8 are you using, lite/full/mega? are you using the mega civ pack 1.7 for RoM 2.8?

-=Mark=-

I find a lot of Rise of Mankind. There are several files listed. Are you using 2.8 by itself? are you using the 2.81hotfix also? Which version of 2.8 are you using, lite/full/mega? are you using the mega civ pack 1.7 for RoM 2.8?

-=Mark=-

Rise of Mankind 2.8 FULL, with the 2.8 hotfix 3 (that should be 2.81). And im not using the mega civ pack nor any other modmods.

Top Bottom