• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

I knew the AI was bad, but this is ridiculous...

shamrock

Chieftain
So here were the game settings.

Egypt, Ancient Era, Continents, Tiny, King, Quick, and Random Personalities

The year is 1680, and I'm currently researching acoustics. Meanwhile, my docile neighbor to the south, Mr. Khan, is strangely quiet (apparently his random personality is Gandhi). I'm finally about to mount an attack on his lone city, but as I do, I come to realize that his "empire" is far more pathetic than I ever imagined. Check this out--

Spoiler :

How the heck is it that after 160 turns, Mongolia has no units better than a warrior, and no terrain improvements? I've only played a few games of Civ V, but for you more experienced players, I have to ask: Is this indicative of the kind of AI play I can expect in Civ V? If so, I'm done.

And yes, shame on me for not putting Khan out of his misery sooner.

Attachments

• map.jpg
    map.jpg
    345.6 KB · Views: 3,924
Are those wonders I see in his capital? There's some poor coding related to AI's and wonders. I've periodically seen Wu Zetian behave this exact way, pursuing every wonder without ever building so much as a worker.

I definitely see Chichen Itza and the Hanging Gardens. That might be the Great Library as well.

He is just lulling you into a false sense of security. It is actually a very clever, human-like strategy. You just aren't looking at it the right way.

So sad.

Askia did the same yesterday, but with 6 cities. No workers at all and of course no improvements...

In defence of the AI, let me act as the Devil's Advocate.

Human players sometimes become obsessed with building wonders, and neglect other things, like military units and workers. If an AI reflects this behaviour on occasion, then it is being a good (ie human like) AI.

Wu and Ghandi occasionally decide to not expand and focus on buildings and wonders. Without extra cities they never get anything else (workers) built, without workers they don't grow properly or get anything done. At some point they stop even finishing wonders because they are so far behind in tech and production and they just become city states.

Something is clearly wrong here. Notice that the AI has not even developed his lands. I have played a lot of games and I have have not seen anything like this before.

Worth to notice though: This is not standard AI behaviour.

My theory is that the AI random behaviour flags got a really bad distribution.

You can even buy DLC so you have more AIs to behave mysterious and unexpected! Isn't it wonderful?

To me, he's saying "come on in and bring your friends!" i.e. army

Human players sometimes become obsessed with building wonders, and neglect other things, like military units and workers. If an AI reflects this behaviour on occasion, then it is being a good (ie human like) AI.

It is not the task of the AI developers to simulate poorly playing humans but at least to simulate normal to good human players.

They took someone off the streets and offered this person 100 bucks to do some ai programming for the next couple of hours. In this perspective I think this AI is amazing good!

Well done.

My theory is that the AI random behaviour flags got a really bad distribution.

I quote; I've played tens of games at King, Emperor and Immortal, I've never used the Random Personalities setting before and never seen anything like this. It must be that, IMO...

Great khan just luring you into a trap, once you step into their land, those worker, warrior and scout will turn into giant death robots. thats what CiV dev. called AI advance tactical strategy.

Something is clearly wrong here. Notice that the AI has not even developed his lands. I have played a lot of games and I have have not seen anything like this before.

I haven't played that many games and I've seen it quite often.

Worth to notice though: This is not standard AI behaviour.

I'm not sure how to quantify how bad they are. I'm guessing one AI fails badly every three games or so? Does that sound right?

When I see coments like this I think its sad, some people are so dense so you actually think the developers said hey lets put an ai in thats coded to wonder spam and build little else since some human players do it, and we will have this ai pop up on king? most people on king would at least have more units that were up to date and some workers.

I'm not sure how to quantify how bad they are. I'm guessing one AI fails badly every three games or so? Does that sound right?

On standard, I'd agree... on tiny, less so; and in huge, more so... it depends on the number of AI civs. The more AI civs, the more likely it is to happen. It really depends on the AI dice roll at the start of the game. At about the same % you get a runaway that has a very good roll too, and that can make things interesting.

Personally, I'd keep it as it is, as the greater % of AI civs are ok, and the occassional poor one, whether very poor, or very tough, gives more flavour to the game.

Top Bottom