Iggy the Idiot - Prince /Monarch training

Played up to 900ad.

840. Capture Osaka for 180g and Great Wall no further losses. Recall spawnbusters for some free barb city loot.

860. Toku revolts to HR and vassalage. CG3 LBs :yumyum:.

880. Nada zip etc

900. Stack (7 ele 3 axe 9 cats) heading towards Kyoto wot's got quite a few defenders (but no CG3 LBs :sad:).

Lit next turn. Rome looks obvious candidate for HE. Kyoto has NE potential.

Gemcity is building FP but has lost tiles to a Byzantine culture bomb down south.

We'll need boats to polish off Toku.

There's a long trail of reinforcements but they'll take time to reach The Front.

Our tech rate is appallingly bad. Our warfare is slow. This is 'easy' ?

Attachments

• Clive AD-0900.CivBeyondSwordSave
    191.2 KB · Views: 143
We do not need Galleys to finish off Toku. All we need is to take is capital and Tokyo, then move the stack to Satsuma and get peace with him. We should be able to get that island city of his and perhaps some techs...if not all.

Is there any reason we have so many units protecting Kagoshima?

Pigswill, I am not sure I understand your question of this being slow and not easy. Would you be kind to show us how you would have proceeded up to 900 AD in another way? I have nothing against learning another method. As a matter of fact I would appreciate it a great deal if it can help me up my game. :D Please.

I will not have time to play now. I'm off on vacation and will return in a week.

I would have preferred the FP in Rome to get it faster.

We probably do not want to kill off Tokugawa. We want feudalism from him.

We really need civil service to solve our economy. Bank gold on 0% and wait for feudalism before researching it.

@Htadus. The 'easy' comment was in reply to Sir Clive's comment in #400. We needed to take Rome out fairly early because Jules was rexing away and would have been a much more difficult target later on and that's slowed down our research rate. We'll certaily be able to catch up once we've finished our current military expansion.

I could play a few more turns up to the fall of Kyoto.

Thanks for the clarification pigswill. I thought you had a bulbing plan that get to Curra's or even knights at a rapid rate and then go on a very rapid conquest path which will lead to owning the continent by now.

I am good with you playing a few more turns. You may want to pick up the units in Kago. At this and up to emperor level, AI wont send more than 3 units to attack rear cities. Also you have a unit train right behind you. BTW, lets get the HE started in Rome next turn. I recommend that you get some whip overflow from the cat now or do a 2 pop whip into the HE in 2 turns.

The only reason this game may seem to be slow is because we took our time getting the war started. Also tech rate is not bad since we can control it still.

Just got back home after the traditional Friday night after work beer or two :(

So not much point in me looking at the save tonight .......

I have a nice clear weekend so will probably have a look tomorrow morning and post some comments / questions by luncthtime UK .

Folket is off for a week so revised roster ?

1) TheSunIsDark - On deck
2) Htadus -
3) Folket - Of for a week so repositioned down the order
4) ShiVvV -
5) Sir Clive -
6 ) Pigswill - Played and posted but may play a few more until until Kyoto falls.... That is fine by me

Played four more turns until Kyoto fell. Picked up HG and 150g.

Lost a welly and three cats vs Kyoto which had added a couple of LBs. Tactics:bombard to 0. Suicide wellies vs LBs until LBs ain't top defenders then attack with cats (losing the first few in the process) then mop up.

Rome's just finished HE.

Capital has started Glib due in 9. There's a couple of forests we could chop into it.

Gems is still building FP slowly with the occasional bit of whip overflow.

We've got plenty of military for now. Rome can knock out replacements for battle losses easily enough.

Toku will give island city for peace. However we've got a couple of galleys and lots of units. If we put galleys in Kyoto they can nip out unload units and return at no risk at all and it saves 10 turn of peace (and another diplo hit with Just).

Just has got feudalism and is starting on MC. We're building up cash and nominally researching CS.

Attachments

• Clive AD-0980.CivBeyondSwordSave
    199.6 KB · Views: 139
Got it, I'll play later.

Sorry I didn't post earlier - busy day today .

Now sat in front of the TV to watch the Grand Prix qualifying and the football.

But I can multitask with the laptop so I will have a look.

My research at the lower levels tends to beeline towards Ciivil Service to get the farm bonus, and later on toward Factories and then railroad to get more production in the later game.

But that's because most of my games are inefficient and I tend to just aim towards building huge amounts of Tanks / Artillirey and even Modern Armour as I am well ahead in Science.

Hoping with much more measured play we can do a more elegant and efficient plan at this higher level.

I very rarely build any wonders in the later game ( other than Eiffel tower which I like because my normal peaceful game = culture ) , so are there any in particular we should be aiming for ?

Lost a welly and three cats vs Kyoto which had added a couple of LBs. Tactics:bombard to 0. Suicide wellies vs LBs until LBs ain't top defenders then attack with cats (losing the first few in the process) then mop up.You probably would have been better off hitting with the 3 cats first and then with WE.

Capital has started Glib due in 9. There's a couple of forests we could chop into it. This should have been down to 1 turn.

Gems is still building FP slowly with the occasional bit of whip overflow.

We've got plenty of military for now. Rome can knock out replacements for battle losses easily enough. Yeah buddy.

Toku will give island city for peace. However we've got a couple of galleys and lots of units. If we put galleys in Kyoto they can nip out unload units and return at no risk at all and it saves 10 turn of peace (and another diplo hit with Just). Why do we bother with what Justy have to say? we are hitting him asap. It is better to take Tokyo and get the island city for peace and DoW Justy on the same time. I would start deviating new units to Gem city and horse city right now.

Just has got feudalism and is starting on MC. We're building up cash and nominally researching CS.
Sounds good.

Got it, I'll play later.

Will you share your plan with us before playing please? So we can comment. Thank you.

Played up to 900ad.

Lit next turn. Rome looks obvious candidate for HE. Kyoto has NE potential.

Gemcity is building FP but has lost tiles to a Byzantine culture bomb down south.

I am never any good at all at deciding where to put NE / HE. I would be interested to hear opinions on where are good potential locations ( and in particular, why )

But for the FP - would it be sensible to put it in Tokyo once we have captured that ?

Tokyo looks good as it looks like it has Moai Statues and seems like a good production city so could we build FP pretty quickly there ? I suppose it all depends what we find to the West - should we be starting to explore that area soon ?

Clive, what do you mean by late game? Late game differ with the VC and rarely go past 18th century for me. Does Taj fall under that group? It all depends on many factors.

Htadus - I normally play peaceful it get well into 19th / 20th century so 'late game' wonders for me are stuff like Hollywood / Rock and Roll / Space Elevator / Eiffel Tower none of which I think we are likely to be needing here.

I am guessing we can also avoid United Nations - again I often try to build this because I play into the late game and peacefully I often worry about the AI nabbimg a diplo victory.

Agree Taj is usually good to get but I often get beaten to it .... :(

One other thing I just noticed -

We have a flag marked 's' in the north east of our empire ( can't remember who put that there and what that signified - sorry :( )

But I just notced that 4 tiles NE of there is some land. Obviously can't see whether it is island or a significant land mass.

Is that worth exploring .... ?

1) Folket - On holiday - Hope it is somewhere nice ? Send us a postcard :)
2) TheSunIsDark - Up - Hopefully send brief PPP for comments ?
3) Htadus - On deck
4) ShiVvV -
5) Sir Clive -
6 ) Pigswill -

My thoughts -

1) Seeing as we are warmongering is it worth going for Statue of Zeus ?
2) Research -
Compass - Optics - doesn't look like we need this right now as we can see land to both east and west
Metal Casting , Machinery - Useful for forge. Looks like we have quite a lot of water on this map so Colossus may work although we don't currently have lots of coastal cities
Philosophy - Nationalism - Taj Mahal Golden Age would be handy.

Many years ago ( ?? :) ) I think GL gave you techs known by any 2 civs. Now I think it just gives 2 scientists. Seeing as our research is currently at 0% is this going to help us very much ?
We are still only able to research at max of about 20% for 10 turns or so.

3) Once we finish Togu I assume plan is still to finish off Byzantine ? Only has 4 cities so then we will control whole continent.

4) Re trading. Once we find the other civs are we going to go immediately to war or try to build / trade to catch up in the techs that we are now undoubtedly behind ?
Or do we :ar15::ar15:and get techs for peace ? I guess this depends on who they are and what they have got ?

Don't bother with SoZ, capture it if an enemy builds it. Only useful when it's your cities getting captured. I'm probably going to finish off Toku apart from the island city, then get techs for temporary peace. Economic recovery is extremely important here, so I'll do that as well. Might have to raze a couple of cities.

Sounds good TheSunIsDark.

Good luck with your turnset.

I'm learning a lot here :) :)

What techs are we going for next ?

I guess it's not really important as we will only be able to run at 10-20% science max until we make peace ?

Top Bottom