I'm not impressed

Greencardman

Warlord
I'm having trouble getting excited here, and I think Firaxis dropped the ball. I was hoping for a fun new game and instead got the old Colonization with updated graphics. Badly updated graphics, mind you. And while Civ 4 initially came out with a lot of bugs, they were fixable bugs. This version of colonization doesn't seem fixable, unless anyone actually thinks they're going to redesign the interface in a patch. A few of my irks and annoyances:

Blurry, ugly graphics. "Ye old pioneer" style is ok for some people, but I want a sharp image. Its an interface, not a sketch of an interface.

Bad interface design: Buttons are often spaced too far apart, or not nearby the thing they modify. Often-clicked buttons are right next to not-so-often used buttons, like delete. Its not easy to tell what is going on. Is that colonist on my ship, or not? And for goodness sakes, get rid of that curved design, it takes up room!

Lack of shortcuts: highly annoying. It might be fun to drag and drop the first few turns, but dragging those goods in Europe from all the way from down the bottom to all the way up to your ship? Annoying. Not being able to right click a colonist and give him a profession? Annoying. Not being able to right click a good and automatically load all units onto a ship. Annoying.

Game play isn't fleshed out. Easily changed, but still. Why is my ship wandering around for 20 turns looking for land at the beginning of a game? Hello, not fun at all, very annoying, and serves absolutely no purpose at all, except to annoy. Most people want to find land and actually have fun. Put the map closer, and if someone wants it far away, they could choose it that way in a custom game. When they remade Civ for Civ 4, one goal was to reduce all the silly things they made you do for no reason in the interface and in micromanagement. It seems they didn't go through Colonization with the same fine-toothed comb this time.

More interface bad choices: Why switch all the buttons from Civ 4? Do you think the majority of buyers won't already have civ 4? So putting the civilopedia buttons and the others on the left, does it serve a purpose except to annoy civ 4 users? Not to mention how tiny they are. Get rid of some interface down below, and make them bigger up top. Put them into the interface instead of freestanding, it makes things easier to find and click.

Bring back my opponents on the lower right hand side.

Put the selected unit above the interface, like civ 4. Its very hard to tell who you have selected, what its carrying, etc, when its way down at the bottom.

It seems this game was remade without adding anything extra to make it more fun. Its more of an update, so we can all play colonization again with new screens. But thats about it. Its very lacking in complexity, which I know will be a plus for some users, but leaves others kind of feeling empty.

On the plus side, there were some improvements I really liked, such as the indian villages now tell you what profession they will teach and what goods they want.

I was hoping for a fun new game and instead got the old Colonization with updated graphics. Badly updated graphics, mind you.

Why would you expect a completely different game with super high-res graphics? It was always marketed as a remake of the Microprose Colonization title based on the Civ IV engine. The screenshots on the box didn't lie.

Game play isn't fleshed out. Easily changed, but still. Why is my ship wandering around for 20 turns looking for land at the beginning of a game? Hello, not fun at all, very annoying, and serves absolutely no purpose at all, except to annoy. Most people want to find land and actually have fun. Put the map closer, and if someone wants it far away, they could choose it that way in a custom game. When they remade Civ for Civ 4, one goal was to reduce all the silly things they made you do for no reason in the interface and in micromanagement. It seems they didn't go through Colonization with the same fine-toothed comb this time.

Again, this is exactly the way it is in the old game. Also, why are you wandering that long? Just sail West.

It seems this game was remade without adding anything extra to make it more fun. Its more of an update, so we can all play colonization again with new screens. But thats about it. Its very lacking in complexity, which I know will be a plus for some users, but leaves others kind of feeling empty.

Well, they did add quite a few things but beyond that I guess I'm confused about your disappointment. As I said earlier, Firaxis wasn't disingenuous about the game. It was always meant to be a straight remake of the classic game. :confused:

Bad interface design: Buttons are often spaced too far apart, or not nearby the thing they modify. Often-clicked buttons are right next to not-so-often used buttons, like delete. Its not easy to tell what is going on. Is that colonist on my ship, or not? And for goodness sakes, get rid of that curved design, it takes up room!

I actually like it. :)

Lack of shortcuts: highly annoying. It might be fun to drag and drop the first few turns, but dragging those goods in Europe from all the way from down the bottom to all the way up to your ship? Annoying. Not being able to right click a colonist and give him a profession? Annoying. Not being able to right click a good and automatically load all units onto a ship. Annoying.

You can give a colonist a profession. See the button with the four tools in a circle? That's the profession button. Can even assign a city job from there. :)

Seems like you had a spot of bad luck, because the majority of my 20 odd games I've been a turn or two from shore at start. :)

More interface bad choices: Why switch all the buttons from Civ 4? Do you think the majority of buyers won't already have civ 4? So putting the civilopedia buttons and the others on the left, does it serve a purpose except to annoy civ 4 users? Not to mention how tiny they are. Get rid of some interface down below, and make them bigger up top. Put them into the interface instead of freestanding, it makes things easier to find and click.

This ain't Civ4. Stop comparing it to Civ4.

Bring back my opponents on the lower right hand side.

They are. Or did you close the score list? There's a button in the circle of buttons on the bottom-left that displays the score list.

Put the selected unit above the interface, like civ 4. Its very hard to tell who you have selected, what its carrying, etc, when its way down at the bottom.

You can. There's an up arrow (with the left and right arrows) at the unit list to move the unit list up above the interface and to show every unit on the tile.

Uh yeah! It was sold as an UPDATE, not as a new game.

I think you need to sit back, take a breath, read the manual and explore the interface a little. :)

Just sail West.

I sailed west, and all around. It turns out that land was just very very far away. I'm not the only one it seems, a few other people are running into this. The nearest land is far, far away from where my ship started the game.

And I didn't expect high res graphics, I just expected clear graphics. Using purposely blurred, sketch-like graphics was a stupid choice for the interface. They had tons of idea to chose from I'm sure, and they chose a bad one.

And sure, its not civ 4, but I'm pretty sure most of the people playing colonization were civ 4 players. So why move everything around if it doesn't serve a purpose? It just seems someone said "Oh, lets randomly move things around so it doesn't look the same." And you end up with buttons all over the place, which made the interface bad. I wouldn't mind the change if it made things better, but it didn't. Turns out a lot of thought went into the placement of buttons in Civ 4, and none into Colonization.

I'll accept that this is an update, and not a rethinking, so I'll stop complaining about the lack of complexity. But the interface and gameplay points are valid.

Thank the Civ gods that they didn't try to "make the game better".

Dude you might want to check and see if you have some kind of Graphics Card or Monitor problem, cause the graphics look all crisp and clear on my computer, I don't know why your's would be blurry.

All in all, I give it a 4 out of 5.

My small complaints problems:

1: I've only played a few games and most of them have been 2 player Lan games, but there seems to be a small memory leak, as things seem to get exponisionally more laggy. This may just be caused by viruses on my computer, but I none of my other games have this problem.

2: I do find it lacking that things like the Unit's promotions, trade routes, ect, isn't displayed in the bottom right corner.

3: I don't see what the need was to reverse the placement of everything on the Main Interface. Not a big deal, but slightly annoying.

4: It has a few of the simple problems that Civ4 had when it came out. There is not option to display the number of turns citys have until production is done and population rises.

5: My last small complaint is that the Import and Export of goods between Cities is controlable through Cities instead of Units. What I mean is a popup on Units that lets you choose where the Unit goes and exactly what it picks up and drops off, instead of deciding what a city imports and exports and then just letting the Trade Units just wander around hoping they do the right thing.

That said, all in all, I love the game and give props to Firaxis for not breaking it. :goodjob:

Dude you might want to check and see if you have some kind of Graphics Card or Monitor problem, cause the graphics look all crisp and clear on my computer, I don't know why your's would be blurry.

I don't think it's about crispness, it just seems harder to distinguish what a tile is actually made of. I turned on the Yield, but that made it worse so I had to turn it off. I have Resources turned on to help for colony placement. I might try the Blue Marble mod to see if that makes it more obvious.

I think the problem here more than anything else is you keep comparing it to Civ IV. I see this pretty consistently on the UI is crap thread as well, where everyone asks why it they didn't just completely copy the CIV IV interface.

It comes down to this. Colonization is NOT Civ IV. It is a completely different game so like all other new games you will have to relearn things like the UI and strategies, and not spending 20 turns sailing around finding the "perfect spot."

So see if you can stop referencing Civ IV and play it like a new game. You just might find it more enjoyable.

So see if you can stop referencing Civ IV and play it like a new game. You just might find it more enjoyable.

Hmm, wonder how many scores of times this phrase was written in reference to Civ III when Civ IV came out? :D

I like the UI and the graphics look great to me (on my 24" samsung pushed by an ATI 4850 with all of the few settings totally maxed :lol:).

This always happens. I remember lots of threads complaining about how crap civ4 was compared to civ3 on this forum right after its first launch. IMO People should give themselves a chance to adjust to the game before starting a thread like this.

It'll start all over again when civ5 is launched: "OMG they broke the civilization franchise !!!"

And I didn't expect high res graphics, I just expected clear graphics. Using purposely blurred, sketch-like graphics was a stupid choice for the interface. They had tons of idea to chose from I'm sure, and they chose a bad one.

Blurred sketch-like graphics? :confused:

My graphics are crisp and clear. My wife even oohed and aahed when she saw Jamestown sitting on the coast. I know the art style may not be to everyone's taste, but objectively, I can't see any of it as blurry.

I\m surprised about the "can't find land" remakrs I'm seeing. I didn't even have any idea it was like that till I started playing.

It's probably because I set the map size to Large right off? (or huge, not the biggest one at least).

Almost always have land in the first turn (4 squares or so), rarely in the second turn.

I guess I am fortunate to have never played a Civ title.;) The Trade Routes seem a bit more clunky than they needed to be and there are a few other minor quibbles, but so far I really like the game.

Changes in gameplay are so much more important rather than if the interface or graphics arent perfect.

I havent the game yet however I think the game will play ALOT different as the traditionell Colonization. Now if those changes were really ugly I could understand your frustration.
However you say the gameplay didnt change at all - common man I can tell that this is not true without having the game, because on any decent level the different founding fathers concept or the border concept from civ4 alone for example will make huge differencences in gameplay.

Calm down and play a real game to see if its good or not but ranting about those things in the strategy genre makes no sense to me - if it were a shooter ok that has to have decent graphics etc.

The annoyances with graphics I'm having are mainly in the city screen. Sorry if I didn't make that clear. The regular terrain graphics look just fine. The city screen, however, lacks contrast, and everything seems slightly blurry, like they took a photoshop sketch filter to it. It just seems a bad choice of colors/contrast/design for an interface.

I should also point out that I'm not wandering around looking for a perfect spot with my ship. There is just NO land near the starting location of the ship. As I pointed out, I think this could easily be taken care of, so I'm not too worried.

I guess I am fortunate to have never played a Civ title.;) The Trade Routes seem a bit more clunky than they needed to be and there are a few other minor quibbles, but so far I really like the game.

*chokes and falls to the ground in a heap

Man you are terribly un fortunate not to have played civ!!!
Buuut I get what you are saying :p

If you fidn that Colonization is up your alley you might think about giving Civ a shot too ;)

Changes in gameplay are so much more important rather than if the interface or graphics arent perfect.

I havent the game yet however I think the game will play ALOT different as the traditionell Colonization. Now if those changes were really ugly I could understand your frustration.
However you say the gameplay didnt change at all - common man I can tell that this is not true without having the game, because on any decent level the different founding fathers concept or the border concept from civ4 alone for example will make huge differencences in gameplay.

Calm down and play a real game to see if its good or not but ranting about those things in the strategy genre makes no sense to me - if it were a shooter ok that has to have decent graphics etc.

Well said! Now stop talking and buy the game :lol:
btw: I don't have it yet either but I share your sentiment :mischief:

*chokes and falls to the ground in a heap

Man you are terribly un fortunate not to have played civ!!!
Buuut I get what you are saying :p

If you fidn that Colonization is up your alley you might think about giving Civ a shot too ;)

Well said! Now stop talking and buy the game :lol:
btw: I don't have it yet either but I share your sentiment :mischief:

I know, I am some kind of freak.:crazyeye: I tend toward EU and TW. Not really sure why I have never given Civ a try. I think it is the fact that it is too wide open and sandboxy. I prefer games that stay closer to history. That's why I am trying Colonization. It has a definaite historical taste.

I'm not impressed either.
Graphics are good, but everything else feels like the old Col I.

- random map generator kinda sucks. mostly gives me a long, stretched continent located in the east. maps are also all small.
- normal size america map has wierd starting locations and spain has none.
- AI often gets owned by the natives.

just to let you know, we are game-play fans, not high-res-graphics-in-search-of-a-new-video-card fans. This is a remake of the original game, this game is much more faster (imo) and much more easy (imo) then the original one. From what I know, this game is now like a economy sim, you buy low and sell high, and you build up for a revolution. It's not a research, empire, warfare (high warfare) game like civilization is. You should study more before you get the game, and think about what you like.

I'm not impressed either.
Graphics are good, but everything else feels like the old Col I.

I absolutely do not understand this complaint. I've seen it from a few people now, and I just don't get it.

It was always marketed as a straight update of the old game using the newer engine. Why are people disappointed when that turns out to be true?

Top Bottom