In your opinion, what City State should replace Seoul?

MkLh

King
Does it really matter? It's only a name. I guess you can rename them quite easily.

fmlizard2

Prince
Hong Kong probably already should be in the game, so it ought to be in there soon. Along with Singapore, Monaco, and the Vatican it is one of the most famous examples of a city-state (or was) on Earth.

Becomedeath

The Destroyer
Hong Kong probably already should be in the game, so it ought to be in there soon. Along with Singapore, Monaco, and the Vatican it is one of the most famous examples of a city-state (or was) on Earth.

I'd say it still was. Whilst it's under Chinese "rule" it's vast cultural and political differences to it's parent infer that it is largely self governing it's still treated by the west as a seperate entity.

Just saying, as it made me think of an interesting mechanic where cities that had been puppetted too long could break away to form city states if certain conditions were met. But that's another topic.

That said, historical accuracy shouldn't really be a concern when considering city states. The more Civ DLCs that are added, the harder it will become to isolate cities that fall outside the scope of a current civilisations control.

Edinburgh, for example, is not really a city state but part of the United Kingdom. (A nation that appears to have been forgotten despite it's influence spreading back further than the US).

Scottish DLC please!!! :king:

SemperFi2382

Mitten Marauder
My choice would be Amsterdam as a new CS. I would like to see the dutch back in civ(im dutch and thats one of my main arguments) and i think Amsterdam as a cultural city state would be nice. It was a place of great culture with painters like van gogh, rembrand and vermeer.

I'd vote for Amsterdam. Like my wife (who is Dutch) says, "if you ain't Dutch, you ain't much". I would like to see them return in civ as well.

Samuil

Warlord
Athens... one of the most famous city states of all times

TyBoy

Prince
It is strange for Hong Kong not to be in as a city state. Besides being a significant city in the world it spent quite a while in the industrial/modern era as something a lot like a city-state, which is extremely uncommon. I would think it would skew maritime though of the three options.

Jerusalem seems like a great choice. Some people have really wanted it in civ for a long time. A city state is a reasonable approximation of it's role in the world for the times when it has been a seat of power (obviously it's spent a lot of time as a non-capital city in some large empires). Also, of the three options cultural makes by far the most sense for it.

renegadechicken

Warlord
Mos Eisley for sure! :D

I think Hong Kong would be interesting...if Mos Eisley can't be in ;) I'll vote for Hong Kong!

Death To Posers

Chieftain
How about Manilla?
Or Jakarta?
Those would have to be militaristic though...

Beat me to Manila. Philippines could definitely be considered cultured if you look at their history pre-Spanish colonization they adopted many customs of the people they traded with even the writing system was based of of sankskrit.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cultural_achievements_of_pre-colonial_Philippines

Could actually be any of the three if you include the southern Philippines, they were very militaristic.

Brichals

King
I think Mandalay, Rangoon or Dhaka would be cool if they fit. Because they have cool names and I doubt we will see a full Burmese or Bangladeshi Civ as they are sandwiched between India and Siam.

We certainly should see an Indonesia Civ. One of the biggest countries in the world and a decent target market I imagine.

Truthy

Chatbot
Or maybe just the Northern Virginia CS. Never mind they should be their own civ.

logintime

Warlord
We certainly should see an Indonesia Civ. One of the biggest countries in the world and a decent target market I imagine.

This made me chuckle, not because you are wrong (Indonesia is a decent and growing market) but because no one there is going to pay for the game. Trust me. I lived in Jakarta for a while. Everything there is pirated. And I mean everything.

The shopping mall near where I lived actually had an entire floor dedicated to pirated DVDs and video games. The police would make a show of raiding and shutting down the shops every couple of months, but a few days later they'd be back up and running. (Side note: I first got started on Civ4 there. On a whim, I picked up a copy of the vanilla game for the US equivalent of $0.50. So I'm eternally grateful to those piraters. Moderator Action: And we'd be grateful if you supported the people who are responsible for this community. CFC does not condone piracy in any way. Real fans buy the game, only parasites pirate.
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889) Also, Civ5 is internet based and the internet in Indonesia is very lousy. But that's a side issue.

All the same, I'd love to see an indonesian/srivijayan/majapahit civ in one of the Civ games. The region has an incredibly rich culture that is chronically unrepresented, and the historical importance of the archipelago is significant enough that it really ought to be included. So count me down as a plus-one for an Indonesia civ!

ShahJahanII

Homesick Alien
Top Bottom