In your opinion, what City State should replace Seoul?

Hate to burst your bubble, but the tie of Van Gogh to Amsterdam is very week. He only lived there shortly when he was trying to become a priest. He spent most of his painting life in France.

Similarly, Vermeer is also only loosely tied to Amsterdam. Delft was his base.

The cultural legacy of Amsterdam in the Golden age is immense, but just does not include the examples you mention.

you are right and like you said, the cultural legacy is great. The 'problem' with understanding the dutch republic and amsterdam is, in this situation, that most of the province holland contributed to the golden age with amsterdam as (economic) powerhouse. Christian Hyugens for example was from The Hague and Renee Decartes lived in the netherlands, but in more then 10 different cities(including Amsterdam). I think the problem for most non-dutch people in understanding the dutch cities is that the entire west of the country functions(and did function expecially during the golden age) as a whole instead of different independent large cities(there is no city in the netherlands with a million inhabitants, even nowadays). During the golden age everything in holland and even the netherlands was about amsterdam, they had the largest vote in politics, contributed the most to state-finances and 'owned' a great trading fleet.

So to say a person who wasnt living his life in amsterdam as not being contributing to amsterdam as cultural city is wrong, im sorry to say, because the region itself was a whole with amsterdam as its center.

I know im pretty of topic right now, so ill quit and only give a book tip: j. israel, the dutch republic, for those whom are interested.

Angkor for something clearly cultural and asian.
Ur if they aren't going to have a Sumerian civ (also clearly cultural)
Jerusalem if I didn't think there wasn't a snowballs chance of this

Manilla, Taipei, and Jakarta strike me as better Maritime city-states
Hong Kong could be cultural, but is also complicated for sales

I'd avoid things European as well. But we did technically lose two. The only one I can think of is Kiev, though.

Hong Kong, São Paulo, Buenos Aires, Lisbon, Mexico City

tenochtitlan is mexico city and why put in lisbon if there is a good chance for portugal to be added in the future

Why is Seoul removed and replaced?
New York or London is like Seoul

Why is Seoul removed and replaced?
New York or London is like Seoul

Because the Capital of Korea is Seoul, and Korea is tomorrow's new DLC.

You don't see New York or London as a City State because they .. well they part of a bigger country....

I know capital of Korea is Seoul but I asked not that

but I think I know now whats meant

Seoul is not replaced but a citystate will be replaced by Seoul righ??

nop forget all
I understand now

Korea becomes a playable civilization with Capital Soul and theres space for a new city state

The Isle Jejudoo South of Korea belonging to Korea I suggest for a city state

nop forget all
I understand now

Korea becomes a playable civilization with Capital Soul and theres space for a new city state

The Isle Jejudoo South of Korea belonging to Korea I suggest for a city state

When has a city-state existed independently when it's a city owned by a civ? You don't have Shanghai as a city-state and China as a civ, you won't have the Isle of Jejudoo and Korea as a Civ. As a side note, does it have a different name in English? Also, what were its accomplishments? Why should it be a city-state over Angkor (Khmer empire), Jakarta (Indonesian Empire), Amsterdam (Dutch Empire), Pretoria (Boers), Ur (Sumerian Empire), Mbanza-Kongo (Kongolese Empire), etc.

you are right and like you said, the cultural legacy is great. The 'problem' with understanding the dutch republic and amsterdam is, in this situation, that most of the province holland contributed to the golden age with amsterdam as (economic) powerhouse. Christian Hyugens for example was from The Hague and Renee Decartes lived in the netherlands, but in more then 10 different cities(including Amsterdam). I think the problem for most non-dutch people in understanding the dutch cities is that the entire west of the country functions(and did function expecially during the golden age) as a whole instead of different independent large cities(there is no city in the netherlands with a million inhabitants, even nowadays). During the golden age everything in holland and even the netherlands was about amsterdam, they had the largest vote in politics, contributed the most to state-finances and 'owned' a great trading fleet.

So to say a person who wasnt living his life in amsterdam as not being contributing to amsterdam as cultural city is wrong, im sorry to say, because the region itself was a whole with amsterdam as its center.

I know im pretty of topic right now, so ill quit and only give a book tip: j. israel, the dutch republic, for those whom are interested.

That is actually more of an argument for NOT having Amsterdam as a city state, since its legacy cannot be seen separate from the Dutch Republic, which is better represented as a full civilization.

@Trias, i understand what you mean(and i dont fully disagree), but what i was trying to say was that amsterdam is a good citystate because it was important enough for an entire region to grew around it.
Maybe amsterdam would be better in a dutch civilization, then as an CS, but nevertheless amsterdam was influential enough to make the game.(not that im trying to argue that someone said otherwise).

When has a city-state existed independently when it's a city owned by a civ? You don't have Shanghai as a city-state and China as a civ, you won't have the Isle of Jejudoo and Korea as a Civ. As a side note, does it have a different name in English? Also, what were its accomplishments? Why should it be a city-state over Angkor (Khmer empire), Jakarta (Indonesian Empire), Amsterdam (Dutch Empire), Pretoria (Boers), Ur (Sumerian Empire), Mbanza-Kongo (Kongolese Empire), etc.
Its good becuz at beginning it would be independent the Jeju Island
Do in Jujudo meand Island in korean

Since its very near to korean Peninsula you would get a additional city fast

thats why I suggested Jejudoo

I wanna get fast a second city so taking over Jeju would give me an early advantage

but I agree with you that there is no historical accomplishments Jeju island ever had

Well, apparently the city will be Kathmandu.

Excellent choice for a cultural City State, methinks.

From the point of view of tourism, economy and cultural heritage, the sister cities of Lalitpur (Patan) and Bhaktapur are integral to Kathmandu. The cultural heritage recognition under the World Heritage list of the UNESCO has recognized all the monuments in the three cities as one unit under the title “Kathmandu Valley-UNESCO World Heritage Site.[8][9]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kathmandu

Yeah just ran into Kathmandu in my game.... figured we'd get more CS's but maybe for another patch.

Top Bottom