Indonesia - Careful where you found your cities

Mesix

The Allfather
I was playing as Indonesia to give them another go (only played one time before when BNW came out to get the achievement). I found a good spot on a nearby island to found a city, access to wheat, wine, cotton, three fish, and an iron resource to plant my city on right in the middle of it all. A few turns later I went to build some units only to discover that I had no access to iron. My city had replaced a 6 iron resource with nutmeg! I understood that I got a free resource, but I didn't realize that it would delete any resource which existed on the tile.

Lesson learned...when founding cities on a new land mass as Indonesia, make sure the tile is empty.

it's seriously awesome and they'd do well to not change it. if someone needs the Iron so badly then improve the tile instead. otherwise i want my Nutmeg.

It would suck to screw yourself out of coal, oil, or aluminum, too, but you would never know it.

I'm surprised it wasn't fixed in the patch. And in regards to the above poster, if no civ was able to do it, that would be fine. Every other civ can found on a resource and get it, so it should work.

So I randomed Indonesia on Pangaea, which already is a pain as I know I'll have to settle tiny islands for my UA to work, because the map script is so one dimensional. And the very only island that is anywhere near my empire is 1 tile and holds the only Silk resource in the game.

So basically my UA was nullified by this design.

So I randomed Indonesia on Pangaea, which already is a pain as I know I'll have to settle tiny islands for my UA to work, because the map script is so one dimensional. And the very only island that is anywhere near my empire is 1 tile and holds the only Silk resource in the game.

So basically my UA was nullified by this design.

I wouldn't blame it on the UA being a bad trait, but rather on the map choice. I know you randomized Indonesia, but you should have just rerolled in that case. Just like how you shouldn't be playing England on land based maps, or the Netherlands on an arid map.

Can't reroll in multiplayer. I think the main map scripts, and Pangaea definitely is one of those, should make sure no Civ UA / UB should go to waste. It wouldn't be too hard to add small islands to the coast of Pangaeas and that would fix this.

Or, which might be the better option, have the UA also kick in when you settle, say, 25 tiles way from all your other cities.

Can't reroll in multiplayer. I think the main map scripts, and Pangaea definitely is one of those, should make sure no Civ UA / UB should go to waste. It wouldn't be too hard to add small islands to the coast of Pangaeas and that would fix this.
The Pangaea Plus map script does this pretty well.

Nutmeg fortified with iron should reduce the incidence of anemia in your population. +1 :health:. Wait, wrong game...

*bump* Can devs answer if this is feature or bug? Also can mods move this to bug forum?

*bump* Can devs answer if this is feature or bug? Also can mods move this to bug forum?

It's not a bug. When you found a city as Indonesia, a resource is placed under the city because that's the only way you can retrieve it. If there already was a resource on that tile then it will be replaced by Nutmeg, Cloves or Pepper. Just don't settle on tiles with another resource.

It's not a bug. When you found a city as Indonesia, a resource is placed under the city because that's the only way you can retrieve it. If there already was a resource on that tile then it will be replaced by Nutmeg, Cloves or Pepper. Just don't settle on tiles with another resource.

The thing is, other Civs can do this, so Indonesia should be able to. I'm sure there would be ways around doing it that way - it works for Mercantile CS, but not for a Civ. A lot of times you find 1 tile islands with a unique resource, so the only way to get it is by settling on it. Also, you could have settled a city on a strategic resource and not known it, depriving your city of it.

All true, but still not a bug. The game is designed for one resource per tile. You will not find any mercantile CSs sitting on both a mercantile special lux (e.g. porcelain) and another lux or strategic resource. You won't see sheep on a gold hill, furs on the same forest tile as truffles, wheat on an oil tile, or ivory on an incense tile.

One alternative would be for the game to disable the ability of an Indonesian settler to settle on a tile with a luxury or strategic resource. If they did that, however, I suspect just as many players would complain about Firaxis depriving them of the flexibility to make their own choices. If you already have 6 or 7 gold mines, settling on an otherwise very attractive gold tile and getting pepper may be a great decision.

My thought would be implementing the ability in a different way (ie special building that provides 2 of the select luxury). It comes pre-built in the first 3 cities on a different continent, just like Carthage's free Harbor.

Or a different mechanic in general. I understand the 1 resource per tile, but as I said before, there are certainly situations where you would want to settle a 1-tile island for a unique lux or a rare strat resource.

Top Bottom