• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

INES III: Storm Tapestry

Offer to Ninja Dude- I know you could just take an NPC, but just in case you're interested wanna play a French NGO or something? I'm planning to have the Republican Party take power this turn- you could play one of it's rivals, the Catholic Church, or some other group.

I'm tempted to keep righting stories for this, even if I'm dead

The adventures of Grandmaster John in Mecca’s catacombs! Avoiding Egyptian soldiers while discovering lost secrets! -- If you write something interesting, you might even be able influence the rest of game, since you’d technically be a sort of rebellion.

Or I guess you could do what NWAG said, but that has less of an Indiana Jones feel to it.

In the meantime, I'll keep developing the Republican Party...

NOTE TO OTHER NES STORYTELLERS: I'm doing my best to develop my characters, but I'll admit they're not that good yet. Perhaps those with more experience could give me some advice on it?

The Son of Guesede
OOC: Just to make it clear, I'm using the trope Translation Convention here- the characters are meant to be speaking in French.

For the first time in it's formal history, the Republican Party 'Congress' (a formal event in which the members of the Party met to discuss tactics and strategy) was an open event- members of the public were invited, and were joining the Party in large numbers. (Incidentally, there were a large number of monarchist spies keeping an eye on the notionally illegal event- amongst them Diodore, whose mission had failed and was now a political non-entity again)

Amongst the massive crowd was a small 'child' of 14, although he looked younger. His look was less that of a lost child than that of a determined one- not quite an adult determination, but close to it. He wore an outfit resembling a French military uniform, and supressed the urge to tug at his own ears.

As delegates from the Republican Party made their speeches, the child struggled towards something more important. A small door into the main Republican building was manned by a tall, intimidating-looking guard. It didn't take a genius to realise, even at his age, that it led backstage.

"Hey, what are you doing?"

The guard's look scared him for a second- it wouldn't have been intimidating to an adult, but unknown to the child the guard was 'soft' enough to metaphorically pull his punches.

"I- I-"

The door opened behind the guard, as another man observed the scene. Curious, he walked towards the child. Bending down, he looked him straight in the eyes.

"Are you Nikolas, son of Guesde?"
"Er- er- yes sir!"

The man did some quick calculations in his head. Nikolas looked at him- attempting to give off the look of a confident deal-maker, in reality he looked more like a scared child.

"Er- sir? He's a monarchist spy- he's got to be!"
"No- no- I'm not! Really!" cried Nikolas. If they thought he was another spy, his whole plan went to-

The clearly dominant man in the situation stood up, and smiled. "Nikolas, why are you here?"
"I want to help you."
"Why?"
"Because that mean Castoriadis is running rings around my father and I don't want him to! I want to kill Castoriadis!"

The man was still smiling. "You probably don't know what you mean. But come with me- you could be useful..."

Friday is good for me.

Aharon had heard the unpleasant stories. A pilot always crashed and died a horrible death on his last flight, the legend went. Air force bigwigs had fought tooth and nail to squash the rumor, but word of mouth had a funny way of remaining undetected by your superiors.

One more mission to what was now Iranian territory. This time, however, he was picking up, not dropping off. Since secrecy was the utmost importance, his modest cargo plane was traded in for a high tech stealth bomber, gutted of bombs to form a makeshift cargo hold. It was important that he remained silent and unseen.

Aharon noticed a tiny blip on his radar screen. It was large enough to be picked up by his radar system, but small enough to go unnoticed. It was his signal. Aharon dipped the plane below the clouds. There was a brilliant full moon tonight, and it lit up an unnaturally flat plain of rock. A small prick of light off to the side gave indication of a campfire. Yes, this was it.

The landing was rough, but still deadly quiet. The campfire illuminated what appeared to be a lonely nomad who had pitched a tent for the night. The figure glanced up, not the least bit surprised at his arrival. Aharon had been briefed on the signal. Slowly he got out of his plane. The nomad walked forward as well to face him. Aharon leaned out his foot and traced a curve. The nomad did the same with his walking stick. The two lines made a crude looking fish.

"It's good to see a friendly face," the man said. "Even from a Jew."

The Order captain tapped the stick on the ground. The tent came down, and four more men came forward with a large crate, cleverly hidden under the tent all this time. They immediately tasked themselves with loading the crate onto the plane.

"Is this the end of the Order, then?" Aharon asked the captain.

The captain chuckled lightly. "Not yet. We may be without a nation, but we are not without our Lord. He will guide and protect us. I know that He will not forsake us. The Lord will watch over us as he had watched over your people."

"Jews and Christians have different Gods." Aharon said bluntly.

"The way I see it, we are both the descendants of Abraham, are we not?" the captain said. "God watches over all his people the same. Yes, perhaps even those who call Him Allah rather than Yahweh or God."

"You are surprisingly tolerant for someone from the Order."

"It's a weakness," the captain said, smiling. "In any case, my men are finished. Get this cargo to Israel with haste. It may yet be the salvation of the Order and the Israelis."

"Let us all hope so," Aharon said, climbing back into the cockpit.

"You doubt in our return to glory?" the captain asked him.

Aharon gave an encouraging smile. "If Jesus rose from the dead in three days, I have no doubt that the Order can do the same.

I vote for Friday. More time I am actually available that way.

I'm glad you enjoyed it, Imago. (I assume you enjoyed it.. Rather rash of me to assume so.) I sent you a PM- I would really rather you have received it, and responded, so I figured I'd spam up your thread making sure.

I'm glad you enjoyed it, Imago. (I assume you enjoyed it.. Rather rash of me to assume so.) I sent you a PM- I would really rather you have received it, and responded, so I figured I'd spam up your thread making sure.

Thanks for the thanks. Or something. Also check you PM inbox.

I vote for Friday as well.

Friday it will be.

From France
To Ethopia
CC: World

We have an offer from the Caribbean for all our colonies for 2 ASP- we are going to accept it.

The Treaty of Marseilles states,
Treaty of Marseilles said:
The Grand Empire of France shall provide the Carribean Republic with the entirety of its off-shore island colonies in the Atlantic, Pacific and any other oceans including but not limited to the
French Polynesia,
Trinidad and Tobago,
Cape Verde,
Canary Islands,
Azores,
New Caledonia,
Fiji,
Samoa,
Tonga,
Nlue, and
Cook Islands.

In exchange the Caribbean Republic shall provide France with 2ASP.

Signed the Caribbean Republic

To: France

We have thought long and hard. We will not bother to outbid the Caribbean Republic. Best of wishes on your successful sale.

I really liked your story electric.

Is the any chance I could join in as the Baltic Confederation?

As he pointed out, Imago hasn't rejected a single person yet- you're almost certainly free to.

Yep. You're in. Welcome to the game and the forum, EasonG!

Outside of The Royal Palace in Washington

Robert Gates, Earl of Columbia, was not surprised about his appointment to the Prime Ministry. When George IV ruled, he preferred the Whigs, and eager to gain some claw into the government, the lower nobles tripped over themselves to align with the Whigs. Of course, the Gates were not a lower class of noble; they were the nobility of old, dating back to George I, and his ancestor had stood by Hamilton in the first Parliament of the Atlantic Kingdom, as a member of the Monarchists. To abandon the party of his ancestors for cheap political gain? No. In the Atlantic Kingdom, politics is family, and family is everything. Besides, there was no real threat to staying loyal to the Monarchists. Sure, Taylor wouldn’t put him in certain postings, but his family had mattered in the Kingdom before George I had even taken the throne. He would not be shut out. Besides, it created an opportunity in itself. Over sixty years of Whig rule with no end in sight had made the Monarchists dull. In the House of Lords, they were guaranteed to have a good size posting due to the way elections worked, but no one rushed to the front of the line to lead the Monarchists. Gates had seen the opportunity as he took his father’s place in Parliament, and with a little cajoling, he soon found himself near the head of the party. When George IV finally died, he was among the delegation sent to Princess Victoria to show their loyalty to Her, and to show that the Monarchist Party would serve Her interests in Parliament. He had known Her before; he was a constant presence at Royal events, and even before it became clear that She would assume the throne, Gates had enough sense to know that She would be involved with the nation’s ruling in one way or another, and became an ally to her. It all paid off when Victoria finally assumed the throne, She asked her long time ally to create a new government for Her. And with that Royal endorsement, the Monarchists grew strong once more, and a new realignment occurred with the nobles. Yes, there were some realms where legitimate elections between two lords of equal power occurred, but they were the rarities. The Monarchist Party grew at the expense of the more fickle Whigs than anything. Anything to gain the advantage was the attitude of Gates, but still…

Gates listened to Queen Victoria and Her demands that Canada be put under direct occupation, therefore completely under Royal authority, and sighed inwardly. Before he had been allowed to poke holes in the arguments of others, to oppose them openly. Now though, as Prime Minister, he was Queen Victoria’s personal representative in Parliament. Individual nobles, and even the political parties could oppose the monarch’s policies, at their own peril of course, but Gates was no longer allowed to even hold his own opinion, not in public, or in backroom deals; he was a pawn of the Queen. Well maybe not a pawn, more a rook, but the analogy remained the same. He had seen Taylor dominate the King so easily and efficiently, creating a powerful Prime Ministry. Of course, George IV was weak, and the nation suffered because of it, but one could not help but admire the freedom Taylor had. Victoria though, was not a weak leader, and Gates was forced to promote policies that his party disagreed with.

He couldn’t let his mind wander though. There was business to attend to. Victoria had called Her top officials; the Prime Minister, the Royal Army Generals, Sir Blackwater of the Blackwater Brigade, and assorted experts or cabinet ministers. She had swiftly informed them of her decision to put Canada solely under Royal Authority, and had remained silent for the rest of the meeting. She didn’t need to speak, she had her champions. Sir Blackwater, Hero of the Battle of Toronto had personally taken the city with one brigade of his volunteers, and had swiftly placed the city under occupation, was well connected for a commoner, held media sway, and most importantly, the Queen admired his bravery in the war. Gates sighed inwardly once more; it seemed a new noble title would have to be made for Sir Blackwater. Either way, Gates had grown bored with the meeting. The experts and generals kept arguing among themselves about the way to occupy Canada, how to administer it…he had learned long ago that Her Majesty did what Her Majesty felt was needed.

As he looked outside, he saw the flag flutter in the sky and for once, smiled. He had everything he ever dreamed of, yet when he finally had the position, the influence, the power, it all became useless.

Oh Well

Better get those other nobles in line

Stories:
OOC: In order to make the INES III 'universe' more inter-connected, I was thinking of using some characters from other people's stories in my own plotlines. Which people do and don't mind, and for which characters?

Also, Translation Convention still applies.

Warriors in Training:
With a rapid flurry of blows, the large man launched a desperate final attack. His opponent smirked, pushing his foe's fists to the sides and away from his as-yet unhit body. Finally, the larger man tried to grab the smaller man's arms, only to realise he has left himself open-

"Oww! Damn it Lagarde, that was dishonorable!"
"There is no honor in war."

Chirac walked in from the door, smiling. "Any news?" asked Lagarde.
"The son of Guesde has told us everything he knows- not much, but more intel is always useful. You?"
"I, Chirac, am very annoyed. You said the new suits would be here yesterday!"

Meanwhile, the low-ranking large man walked off- it was his turn to take security, and some unlucky bastard would be facing Lagarde's Judo skills. Legarde turned to Chirac, as the two continued to argue.

"Conde's smuggling as much equipment as he can as Minister of War, but he's getting dangerously close to treason charges- he can't afford to send us any more equipment for the time being! The allegiances of two Generals are up in the air, and there's a Cabinet meeting today to debate supression!"
"He said he would get the equipment to us, so he should! How are we meant to have proper battle simulations without pain?"

Legarde was no orator, but he was the most skilled strategist and troop trainer both avaliable to the Republicans and fully trustworthy. His methods were harsh- hence why he was demanding a combat simulator where troops in training would actually feel the pain of bullets fired at them. Conde has assured them he had contacts somewhere- but where?

"The first Revolution needed no combat simulators- neither need we. At this rate most of Paris will be behind us with not a single government division in sight! Victory is practically ours!"
"And what then? What if Chevenment escapes and starts up a second front? What if the French police fire on us in the streets? We have only five hundred that I can trust."
"I assure you Legarde, by tommorow morning it will be ten thousand. Now, I believe you had a match to fight?"

I really liked your story electric.

Thanks. :)

Ninja Dude, if you want to keep writing for this, maybe you can roleplay as the Lehi.

Anyway, back in character.

Election 2054 Update

Isaac Livni Nominated As Yisrael Beiteinu Candidate. Dramatic Power Shift Predicted By Pollsters Next Year.

In a stunning turn of events, current Knesset Speaker Isaac Livni has declared that he has left the Likudama Party and has chosen to run for Prime Minister on the Beiteinu ticket this year. "The administration has been too soft on those who would see Israel destroyed," Livni said in his announcement. "I seek to change that."

Livni, a politician known for his speechcraft and determination, has struck a popular chord among Jewish citizenry who feel threatened by the Lehi, and has even gathered lukewarm support from the sigificant Muslim population. Livni, who last month thwarted an attempt on his own life by the Lehi, has promised to protect the liberties shared by Jews and Muslims against the terrorist, stating that he will "hunt down the Lehi like dogs".

Current polls, meanwhile, predict a healthy victory for the Beiteinu party this year, which is expected to secure 91 seats in the Knesset, with 23 seats held by the Likudama and the remaining seats to be undecided. Polls also favor Levni over Goldberg, with Levni taking anywhere from 60-80% of the vote.

In other news, Dorit Peres, renowned Israeil historian, has released his latest work, The Legacy: A History of the Jewish People and Israel.

To: The Roman Republic

Our nations can profit from a mutual trade system. Shall we enter in a trade alliance?

OOC: One last time I'll make sure it's clear that in this NES Translation Convention is in effect except when stated otherwise.

So-Called Loyalty
Francis de Pen sighed, looking one last time over the map of Paris. "We're screwed, aren't we...", he muttered to himself.

Chevenment had somehow managed, despite Conde's opposistion, to have police barracades errected at several strategic points- as Chief of Police, de Pen had been able to personally sway Guesede (although for unknown reasons Conde seemed to have unusual levels of insight into Guesede's character that day). But all that would do would buy time- and they didn't have much of that...

Suddenly, a tall man walked into the room. de Pen didn't recognise him- and judging from the black fencing mask he wore, the man didn't want him to. The man's body language suggested he was in a good mood, but it was hard to be sure...

de Pen, however, was not. "Guards!" he cried, leaping up onto the desk. He leapt towards the door, then suddenly realised that not only was his 'assaliant' completely calm, but he now had a gun to his face.

"In a climate like this, de Pen, money is worth more than guards."
"What do you want? If you're going to shoot me, shoot- you're only going to kill a man!"
"Interesting that you would choose that particular quotation. But I will not respond cliche for cliche with you."

de Pen relaxed slightly- his intitutions had told him that the man wasn't really intending to shoot him, but he wasn't sure of that on an intitutive or explicit level- the risk alone had been making him nervous.

"I have heard that your allegiances are with Chevenment- hence the police barracades I have managed to bluff my way past."
"My allegiance is to France!"
"Ah yes- we all say that, don't we. Judging from your look, you may really believe it. But what if I were to, say, raise the stakes?"

Francis gave the man a look that resembled looking him in the eye- it was rather difficult, however, as the man had a fencing mask on. He thought he remembered somebody of the same build by Fillion's side- although the question remained why he'd work with the Republicans.

"W-what are your stakes?"
"You know perfectly well, de Pen, that in the first Revolution many nobles were killed for being that- nobles. In the early days of chaos, there were no trials- no justice or any pretence to it. Only wrath and killing."

Francis wanted him to get to the point, but he wasn't foolish enough to say that when a man had a gun to his head. So he waited.

"You may believe you are not afraid to die- perhaps you may even be willing to face death. After all, you have a family- a wife and three children. Your legacy would live on."
"Y-yes- indeed it would!"
"But I know where they live. Once we are victorious and your head is on a pike, what is to stop me sending an assasin to- end them?"

Francis de Pen sighed again. That was it- he was beaten. He was loyal to his country, but his family had to come first. There was a chance he could save them, but he'd promised his wife and children they'd be safe- there was no way he could reneg on that. There was much regret in his voice as he responded, but no hint of doubt.

"What do you want me to do?"
"Screw up, of course. Don't tell anybody we had this talk, then use horrendously bad tactics in the battle for Paris. You will be found innocent at your trial, and your family will be left out of it all. Deal?"
"It's a deal."

Chevenment's Planning
"And now Le Pen is telling me we can't win! Le Pen! That optimistic good-in-a-crisis idiot is telling me WE CAN'T WIN!"
"Muller, I understand the situation is serious-"
"Serious! Rumors say Fillion's she-dog[1] has been going around turning all our commanders against us! An 'anonymous email' even came to me!"

Chevenment sighed. He was not willing to cede Paris to traitors yet, but it looked pretty close to it- Guesde was so much in Conde's web that he thought Chevenment was the traitor, police barracades appeared to have been sabotaged (how did Le Pen let that past?), and whilst many generals were undecided between him and Conde none were willing to defy the Minister of War and march towards Paris even in the event of an armed uprising.

"There's only one thing for it- we must flee the capital, and quickly! I know Chirac, he's going to insist on killing you as a top priority! We cannot allow that! We must move-"
"No."

Muller stared at him in disbelief. "There is no possible strategic rationale for not-"
"Whatever I may say in public, Secretary Muller, my loyalty is not to France first and foremost, but to the Emperor. I swore to serve him and his sucessors, even if it should cost my life."
"If we lose both Paris and you, the Empire will never-"
"If I flee like a coward, there is no way the innocent Emperor will escape this city alive! From what you've told me of the Revolutionary Leaders, they will execute him justice be damned! If I stay, I may just be able to win- even if I cannot, I will not have sent my lord to his death! Is that understood?"
"Sir-"
"You are too loyal to me, Muller- but I would trust you with my life, if it came to that. Rush to Versallies, and get the Emperor before the rebels begin their assault. Understood?"
"But-"
"Do it!"

Muller finally rushed off, as Chevenment turned his chair around. Although he wasn't sure if it was pure optimism or genuine chance, but he still believed he could win. Naturally some of his best troops would guard the Emperor's escape- he wouldn't have it any other way. But a clash between the police and armed mobs was winnable- Le Pen remained loyal as far as he knew, and if they could hold off for long enough Guesde would finally realise what was going on. Then they could call troops in...

[1] Given the use of translation convention, replacing an English phrase Muller adopted that more accurately reflects his sentiments...

The Battle Plan
Jacques Briand swaggered into the room, a look of supreme confidence on his face. He knew perfectly well he was the only Republican leader who could pull off anywhere near as much continous oratory without seeming the slightest bit winded-

Chirac stared at him for a second. Jacques smiled, then collapsed onto the floor.

"So, we are all here. Although Legarde will be charge of military operations, we should all agree before commiting to a battle plan. Legarde?"

Legarde gestured to the map of Paris outlayed on the table, as the mysterious man known to most only as 'Fillion's dog' thought about something else. "Unfortunately, most of our men are an uncoordinated mob, and despite our best efforts we are unaware of Chevenment or Le Pen's plans-"
"Does that really matter?" interrupted the 'dog'. "We know Le Pen's planning will be incompetent, and that the barracades are no longer in play."
"Le Pen still has several options at his disposal within the letter of his bargain," replied Chirac, "I fear will be eager to strike a balance between sparing his family and serving his country."

(Jacques had caught his breath by this point, and was slowly struggling to his feet. His oratory was not worthy of being legendary, but his physical and mental endurance were both amongst the top one percent of the world)

"Anyway," exclaimed Legarde (annoyed at the continuing trend that his nominal supremacy over the war plan was being cut into), "our core army consists of five to six hundred revolutionary soldiers. I intend to put them into three divisions of two hundred, each to rally a section of the crowd to prevent a general retreat.

The crowds will rally at each of the indicated points, the ones with a cross marked as our divisions will be there. Le Pen's police will then be cut off- he knows perfectly well we are attacking today, but not officially- unless he is bluffing, we can be assured his forces will be split."
"And what if he is bluffing?" asked Jacques, who now appeared as if he was perfectly well rested (although the others, except Fillion's former advisor, knew him well enough to know he was not), "For all we know, his family is being smuggled out of Paris as we speak."
"We've hidden cameras outside the de Pen family home and through all possible exits" replied Legarde, "-including the one de Pen believes to be a secret. If they leave, we'll know about it."
"Can you be so sure?" asked Jacques. "In theory, they could-"
"de Pen can't afford those sorts of measures- in addition, he would never take the risk. If he tried anything, he knows we would kill them all- his record suggests he would never allow that."

"Speaking of records", exclaimed Chirac, "What about Chevenment's simulated Battle of Arles? If what Conde tells us is true, he refused to commit his reserves in order to ensure his King could retreat."
"I've thought of that", replied Legarde. By now, even if he was concealing it competently Chirac could tell he was getting annoyed. "But I'm told that our newest member is capable of dealing with it sufficently. Shall we continue?"

After about two hours of debating and arguing (during which Jacque's endurance finally gave out- soon he was making contributions only every once in a while), a battle plan was finally agreed. Legarde was kindly helping Jacques get off to bed, leaving Chirac and the man whose name he still did not know.

"One last issue, sir- the attack on the Emperor."

He hadn't raised this during the debate- what was he on about? Although Chirac's principles told him that they had to discuss everything before the group, the temptation to power won out this time.

"Your recommendations?"
"I hired a unit of mercenaries with Lehi connections- with my own forged money so no loss to the Revolution- and have them concentrated at a point the Emperor's guard will have to go through if leaving Versallies- unless they want to take the main road that is..."

The Republicans had commited various acts on terrorism on the main road from Versallies for years now- none had made the news, but all the Republican leaders believed by now it was a safe assumption that road would not be taken.

"So- we kill the Emperor, and complete a glorious day?"
"In my heart I would love to put the Tenth Napoleon to rest, but my brain recommends no. They will still have acess to direct communication with Chevenment, and will be able to call for reinforcements."

By now, Chirac was beginning to feel a bit tired. He knew himself well enough to know that if he didn't get some rest soon his mental abilities would plummet until he did.

"So... we want Chevenment to send reinforcements to protect his Emperor?"

His interlocutor smiled. "As many as possible."

The History of the Confederation of United World Archipelagoes (CUWA)

On December 14th, 2504, within three days of the signing of the Treaty of Marseilles by Grand Empire of France and the Carribean Republic, representatives of the archipelegoes and islands of Polynesia, Cape Verde, Canaries, Açores, Calédonie, Fiji, Samoa, Tonga, Nlue, Cook, Cuba, Jamaica, Cayman, Puerto Rico, Hispaniola, Carribees, and the Lucaya, as well as the continental territory of Panama all gathered at a grand summit in Havana.

The summit had as its principle topic the governance of the formerly French colonies, the people’s of whom were often worried for their security and stability in a world increasingly besot by war and violence. It was generally accepted that while the French had imposed some degree of European culture upon its colonies, they were, in all cases, their own people with their own culture, separate and distinct from Europe, from each other and from their new ‘government’, the Caribbean Republic.

The representatives of the Caribbean Republic meanwhile were in no hurry to impose a new form of colonialism upon these island people and in fact, were very eager to relate to their local governments as equals with shared concerns, the first of which was obviously, in the wake of invasions, war and violence throughout the world, security, followed closely by economic development and cultural integrity.

As a result of the summit and the concerns of he parties attending, the Caribbean Republic was voluntarily expanded and its constitution massively overwritten, being wholly abandoned in parts and de-novo conceived in others. This is the Founding Treaty of the Confederation of United World Archipelagoes. The island groups agreed to form a confederation, united in defense, with a common currency, with overarching economic development and integration, with a common foreign political policy but separate in terms of culture, education, health, and local governance. As a result of the Founding Treaty, a new nation was born, one formed from the union of the Polynesia, Cape Verde, Canaries, Açores, Calédonie, Fiji, Samoa, Tonga, Nlue, Cook Islands, Cuba, Jamaica, Cayman, Puerto Rico, Hispaniola, Carribees, and the Lucaya islands, and Panama territory each of which was guaranteed an equal measure of representation on the CUWA senate (composed of 2 members from each of the 18 states). These members of the CUWA senate then elect a First Senatorial Representative from amongst their membership that will speak on their behalf on the foreign stage.

At the first meeting of the CUWA senate, sentator Alejandrina Vásquez, of Puerto Rico state, was elected the new nation’s first First Senatorial Representative. Cheering crowds welcomed the first ever Premier of the new state CUWA nation.

Top Bottom